News Disney updates its legendary Four Keys model to include a fifth key

_caleb

Why would they not? They publicize the Four Keys. Trying to hide it would not seem like a strong commitment.

So where would it fit in the hierarchy? As of now Safety is the prime key that cannot be broken but the others can if it is in service to those higher up. What’s the scenario for breaking inclusion?
That’s why I’m interested to see where the 5th Key falls in prioritization. My money is just after Safety, just before Courtesy.

One scenario for breaking inclusion I can see is safety- “We understand that your religious beliefs don’t allow you to wear a mask or be subject to a temp check, but in the interest of public safety.”

Also, height requirements are another area where safety requires Disney to exclude someone.

Rteetz

Got it. So after 65 years of literally nobody saying Disney theme park cast members aren’t “inclusive” in their daily operational shifts we now have this pandering, insulting nonsense. We at least agree on that.
I don’t see how this is pandering or insulting but ok. This really doesn’t bother me. I don’t see why it does to many here. Sure maybe it’s not the best fit but I don’t care if there are 4 keys or 40 in the grand scheme of things.

el_super

I don’t see how this is pandering or insulting but ok. This really doesn’t bother me. I don’t see why it does to many here. Sure maybe it’s not the best fit but I don’t care if there are 4 keys or 40 in the grand scheme of things.

Yes, exactly. The four keys started off as buzzwords used in a corporate training program, and are still just buzzwords in a corporate training program. But the ideals that they represent are bigger than the word themselves or how they are taught. They could go away tomorrow (again) but it doesnt change what Disney is focused on or how they want to teach it to their Cast Members.

Joel

"Progressive for his time" = still racist. This is the same man who made song if the south snd the original fantasia. We dont apply 20th century standards to a 21st century company.
Thankfully there's still plenty of time for everyone alive today (even the non-white, non-50-year-old boogeymen!) to be considered racist by 21st century standards. At the rate things are going, I suspect it will happen in this decade.

Lirael

>Safety, Courtesy, Show, and Efficiency
Also knows as Avoid Lawsuits, Avoid Lawsuits, Convince Them to Pay More and Save Money

I think Inclusion falls between "Avoid Lawsuits" and "Convince Them to Pay More"

I always saw Inclusion as being inside Courtesy. Are you really acting courteous to someone if you are excluding or treating them differently in a negative way?

Jon81uk

That’s a really good thread with very clearly stated thoughts. The last one is my big problem. This feels like Disney blaming it’s least empowered and most vulnerable employees.

It is up to everyone to be inclusive. No matter how good the senior management is, one front line CM who thinks their opinion/beliefs is more important than being inclusive it could ruin a guests day.

Chi84

Premium Member
>Safety, Courtesy, Show, and Efficiency
Also knows as Avoid Lawsuits, Avoid Lawsuits, Convince Them to Pay More and Save Money

I think Inclusion falls between "Avoid Lawsuits" and "Convince Them to Pay More"

I always saw Inclusion as being inside Courtesy. Are you really acting courteous to someone if you are excluding or treating them differently in a negative way?
I know some here are very cynical, but do you really believe the only reason Disney promotes safety and courtesy is to avoid lawsuits? That would make it a truly sad corporation.

Jon81uk

So how's this "inclusion" key supposed to work? How is a CM supposed to implement it when, say, loading park guests into a ride?

Maybe like this?

CM: "Please keep your arms and legs inside the vehicle at all times, and make sure a POC is included with your group. Thanks and have a wonderful Disney day!"

:rolleyes:

Just by not making assumptions or behaving in an exclusionary manner.

I don't think it happens with loading guests into a ride, but I bet there are CMs who decide the white kid should get a high five when waiting for the parade but they walk past the black kid. Or there may be CMs who think it is wrong for two dads to be taking their daughter to the park as they believe homosexuals shouldn't have children. The CM may not say anything directly, but they may have bias when interacting with certain guests.

Jon81uk

Got it. So after 65 years of literally nobody saying Disney theme park cast members aren’t “inclusive” in their daily operational shifts we now have this pandering, insulting nonsense. We at least agree on that.

How do you know that exclusionary behaviour hasn't taken place over the last 65 years? Did you talk to every single guest?

There will be some CMs who aren't inclusive. There will also be a lot of unconscious bias where assumptions are made without even realising.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
It’s good they added it. Fact is, The Walt Disney Company has practiced Inclusion in their hiring for decades. Now if they could stop shortening the duration of their traditions classes that teach the keys.....
What, is it supposed to be shorter than 4 days? Because that’s how long it was for CM training for DCP.

natatomic

Let's get rid of "safety" since if you're courteous to people, you'll surely be concerned about their safety!

Not exactly. A parent is furious their child is a fraction of an inch too short for an attraction - the “courteous” thing to do (in the eyes of the parents) would be to let the child on to make the parent happy since they “paid so much money” and “you let on a little girl who is shorter but was wearing 2 inch platform sandals!“ (Things guest have actually said, and the thing about the shoes is a very valid point).
To the parent, it would NOT be courteous to say, “Sorry, no, he can’t ride.”
BUT, that is why safety is first and separate from courtesy. I get what you’re saying, that being safe IS being courteous, but that’s, kind of, subjective. That parent did not feel like they were being treated courteously, even though the CM followed the rules and followed safety.

Anyway, I’m not saying I agree with the parent in this example (I’m of the “rules are rules” type who doesn’t like to argue with someone doing their job correctly), but I’m just showing how the lines can be blurred a bit when we try to figure out what is courteous in the eyes of the guest and what isn’t.

natatomic

Love watching a bunch of white, 50 year old men argue about something that has zero affect on them. Your vacations are ruined now, aren't they? Every CM I know (myself included) supports this change.

Lots of CMs I know (myself included) find this to be nothing more than unnecessary virtual signaling. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Edited to add: none of us are against inclusion, but this doesn’t fit the hierarchy of the four keys. If anything, it should’ve been put into the Disney Values, although they already have “diversity“ as one of them. Shoehorning them into the Four Keys - where it should already be implied under courtesy - seems more like a PR move

Last edited:

_caleb

Why stop at five?
  • Honest
  • Brave
  • Compassionate
  • Leader
  • Courageous
  • Unselfish
  • Loyal
  • Hard-working
  • Independent
  • Responsible
  • Considerate
  • Self-confident
  • Humble
  • Feel free to add your own
You may not realize that there are also 7 Service Guidelines:
  1. Be Happy…make eye contact and smile!
  2. Be like Sneezy…greet and welcome each and every guest. Spread the spirit of Hospitality…It’s contagious!
  3. Don’t be Bashful…seek out Guest contact.
  4. Be like Doc…provide immediate service recovery.
  5. Don’t be Grumpy…always display appropriate body language at all times.
  6. Be like Sleepy…create DREAMS and preserve the “MAGICAL” Guest experience.
  7. Don’t be Dopey…thank each and every Guest!
And 4 Service Basics:
  1. I project a positive image and energy.
  2. I am courteous and respectful to all Guests, including Children.
  3. I stay in character and play the part.
  4. I go above and beyond.
Which all nest within the 4 (now 5) Keys.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom