News Disney updates its legendary Four Keys model to include a fifth key

Tom P.

An element of racism is the balance of power. If every race was on equal footing in our society than your argument makes a lot more sense. However, until we get to that point it's specious at best.
The definition of racism has nothing to do with the balance of power. That is an argument that has been invented to condemn the racism of one group of people while excusing that of another. There is no question that there are differences in terms of which types of racism have been institutionalized or formalized. But whether you have power to affect someone or not through racism does not change whether or not one is racist.

RSoxNo1

Advertisement
The definition of racism has nothing to do with the balance of power. That is an argument that has been invented to condemn the racism of one group of people while excusing that of another. There is no question that there are differences in terms of which types of racism have been institutionalized or formalized. But whether you have power to affect someone or not through racism does not change whether or not one is racist.
Let me know how history bears out on this.

To be less condescending, no doubt the term racism has evolved as we've become more educated on what is and isn't acceptable. It's why I'm very much against retroactive outrage. Things that weren't as highly criticized a decade ago would end your career today. It's a moving target and all races need to be willing to have a dialogue.

SirWillow

Don't know if anyone is interested or not, but posted a video on my YouTube channel yesterday about this. It's very hard to be able to say everything adequately and clearly sometimes when you're just trying to respond to other posts, but the video allowed me to dig in a bit more and express my thoughts about it a bit clearer I think.

Brer Oswald

Let me know how history bears out on this.

To be less condescending, no doubt the term racism has evolved as we've become more educated on what is and isn't acceptable. It's why I'm very much against retroactive outrage. Things that weren't as highly criticized a decade ago would end your career today. It's a moving target and all races need to be willing to have a dialogue.
You can’t really change the definition of a word. You can create new words or add terms, like “Systemic Racism”, which I believe is what you were referring to. And I agree that it exists, and it’s a problem. But there’s a separate term, use it. Why oversimplify a complicated topic?

RSoxNo1

You can’t really change the definition of a word. You can create new words or add terms, like “Systemic Racism”, which I believe is what you were referring to. And I agree that it exists, and it’s a problem. But there’s a separate term, use it. Why oversimplify a complicated topic?
The definition of racism is literally changing in the dictionary due to the changes and understanding of society.

Brer Oswald

The definition of racism is literally changing in the dictionary due to the changes and understanding of society.
So then what do we say to when referring to the “old” definition?

Redefining it to a trump card when we lose an online argument diminishes the seriousness of actual racism.

If you disagree, don’t engage with my post and move on.

SirWillow

That is awesome, and long overdue. It's good to see them operating with their corporate cultural statements in mind.

It's still not really an example of the 5th key as this is on the corporate and product line level, not the in park CM's. But still good to see overall.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Top Bottom