News Disney updates its legendary Four Keys model to include a fifth key

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
If they move from being entertainers (no matter if they are actors, presenters, or professional athletes) to advocates, then they just fall into the howling horde of the masses. Just another opinion with no more weight than any other.
They will, in effect, become "edutainment," just like Epcot used to be before Eisner and BobSquared decided people didn't like edutainment.

Tom Morrow

So these are The Basics. Similar to the four keys, these were created as all-encompassing guidelines for expectations of the service that Cast Members should provide. A little over a decade ago, they were simplified into this from the previous "Seven Service Guidelines".

disneyservicebasics.jpg

The Service Basics fall under the Courtesy Key and are trained in this way. A line about inclusion could have been easily added to them. You could go even further and argue that it falls under "I am courteous and respectful to all Guests, including children."

Also it should be noted that no one is arguing against the idea of inclusion, we're just calling out Disney for shamelessly patting themselves on the back for PR.

rowrbazzle

I appreciate your engagement in this. Until we have further indication that implicit bias training is indeed the something Disney intends to include in support of the "Inclusion" Key, it's probably best not to debate the subject here just yet.

I will say that because Disney is in the unique position to control both the training for individual CMs AND the systems in which those individuals work (Park policies, systems, and procedures), this sort of training is much more likely to result in positive outcomes.
Fair enough. I saw it mentioned a few times so I thought I'd add some of what I've read on the subject. I've always found the implicit bias idea to be intriguing, but a (currently) flawed concept.

I'm not sure we can say much about the second as that would seem to apply to many businesses. And it still wouldn't change the underlying psychological processes, which seems to be the real issue. It's really not clear what's being measured by implicit associations.

celluloid

That was my point. To spin up some training isn't cheap, but the real expense is the added paid training time for CMs at Traditions (assuming they actually add additional training in support of the new Key). Let's say they add a half day of "Inclusion" training. That's 4 hours on the clock for every CM, + instructors time. Seems like a pretty big investment compared to a social media post saying, "Disney is committed to inclusion!" which would arguably have the same or greater PR effect.
Half day?
No.
More like a power point slide or bullet points.

celluloid

So these are The Basics. Similar to the four keys, these were created as all-encompassing guidelines for expectations of the service that Cast Members should provide. A little over a decade ago, they were simplified into this from the previous "Seven Service Guidelines".

View attachment 501587

The Service Basics fall under the Courtesy Key and are trained in this way. A line about inclusion could have been easily added to them. You could go even further and argue that it falls under "I am courteous and respectful to all Guests, including children."

Also it should be noted that no one is arguing against the idea of inclusion, we're just calling out Disney for shamelessly patting themselves on the back for PR.

Exactly. It should by common sense be under courtesy and the important factor of being professional. Of someone cannot get the courtesy key, them they are not going to get inclusion because it was seperate.

Jon81uk

But I don’t think this is really just solely PR, the only people talking about it are on fan sites, blogs and forums such as this. It’s not generated anything that is being seen widely. It’s preaching to the converted really.

This is a change to try and make a change I think.

Jon81uk

Exactly. It should by common sense be under courtesy and the important factor of being professional. Of someone cannot get the courtesy key, them they are not going to get inclusion because it was seperate.

If common sense was so common then no one would need to have these sort of conversations at all.

_caleb

View attachment 501587

I still think it's silly to assume that Disney only (or even primarily) added the "Inclusion" Key for PR. In instructional design, you employ mnemonics like the Keys in order to organize the content and aid the Learner in retention of the material. You elevate a topic to become a category (like they're doing with "Inclusion") in order to give it greater emphasis than it had been given and, in this case, to better show how it relates to the other categories.

They could have added new/additional Inclusion training under the "Courtesy" Key and promoted "patted themselves on the back" for that. They could have introduced an entirely new standalone training module (something like "Inclusion the Disney Way"). If they were really after a PR bump out of CM training, they could have closed the parks for a day of training (a la Starbucks).

I understand the suspicion and the social/political reactions to everything these days, but to me these changes make sense if Disney is actually trying to do what they say they're trying to do.

Tom Morrow

But I don’t think this is really just solely PR, the only people talking about it are on fan sites, blogs and forums such as this. It’s not generated anything that is being seen widely. It’s preaching to the converted really.

This is a change to try and make a change I think.
I still think it's silly to assume that Disney only (or even primarily) added the "Inclusion" Key for PR. In instructional design, you employ mnemonics like the Keys in order to organize the content and aid the Learner in retention of the material. You elevate a topic to become a category (like they're doing with "Inclusion") in order to give it greater emphasis than it had been given and, in this case, to better show how it relates to the other categories.

They could have added new/additional Inclusion training under the "Courtesy" Key and promoted "patted themselves on the back" for that. They could have introduced an entirely new standalone training module (something like "Inclusion the Disney Way"). If they were really after a PR bump out of CM training, they could have closed the parks for a day of training (a la Starbucks).

I understand the suspicion and the social/political reactions to everything these days, but to me these changes make sense if Disney is actually trying to do what they say they're trying to do.
There are fair arguments on both sides as to whether or not this is a PR move, but I have to ask how Inclusion can be added to this and not be redundant of Courtesy:

fourkeys.jpg

I suppose I should wait and see what they come up with.

lazyboy97o

There are fair arguments on both sides as to whether or not this is a PR move, but I have to ask how Inclusion can be added to this and not be redundant of Courtesy:

View attachment 501638

I suppose I should wait and see what they come up with.
Having to wait and see is exactly why this smells of publicity. It’s a change that has been announced before it is even figured out. That’s the big clue that this came from somewhere external without understanding the implication that Disney must now rank inclusivity into a hierarchy when it really should stand separate to maintain its importance. Yes certain religious practices and physical characteristics are excluded but that’s not really the focus of the current climate.

Tom Morrow

Having to wait and see is exactly why this smells of publicity. It’s a change that has been announced before it is even figured out. That’s the big clue that this came from somewhere external without understanding the implication that Disney must now rank inclusivity into a hierarchy when it really should stand separate to maintain its importance. Yes certain religious practices and physical characteristics are excluded but that’s not really the focus of the current climate.
Exactly. Where do you rank it? Safety is above all else, but then that means that Safety trumps Inclusivity... which makes zero sense.

SirWillow

But there will be areas where more focus on inclusion is needed and where additional training is needed. Disney is known for going above and beyond (look at how they deal with special diets for example) and I would expect they have plans on how they can go further in other areas too.
So what areas would need more focus that aren't already covered by courtesy? Seems like they need to refocus and reemphasize courtesy to ALL guests to me. I'm still waiting to hear some concrete examples of how inclusion would do that.

That was my point. To spin up some training isn't cheap, but the real expense is the added paid training time for CMs at Traditions (assuming they actually add additional training in support of the new Key). Let's say they add a half day of "Inclusion" training. That's 4 hours on the clock for every CM, + instructors time. Seems like a pretty big investment compared to a social media post saying, "Disney is committed to inclusion!" which would arguably have the same or greater PR effect.
They aren't going to add anymore time to Traditions. Traditions used to be several days, and they've shown no desire to do anything but reduce it in time, cutting the days, eventually down to one day when I took it back in 2006, to the half day that it is now. They aren't going to add 4 hours, another half day, to something they've very purposefully reduced to cover a new key that is already covered in Courtesy. That is if they're even covering the Keys adequately at all anymore.

it wouldn't have even taken adding a line. You could have changed the one line that read when I was there as
  • I am courteous and respectful to Guests of all ages
to
  • I am courteous and respectful to all Guests, regardless of age, creed, color, culture or identity
that seems to pretty much cover Inclusion- it's really what was already there, just stating it a bit more obvious for those that somehow couldn't see it, even amongst the training and pointing it out that they already did.

Asked this earlier, but I'll ask it again- can anyone give me any concrete examples of what an Inclusion Key would look like in action, some way that it would be shown or exemplified, that isn't already covered in Courtesy?

_caleb

Asked this earlier, but I'll ask it again- can anyone give me any concrete examples of what an Inclusion Key would look like in action, some way that it would be shown or exemplified, that isn't already covered in Courtesy?
Is my example of CMs no longer referring to guests as “sir” or “ma’am,” and not assuming gender pronouns not an example of this? (I have no confirmation that this will happen at Disney parks.) Might seem discourteous to some?

celluloid

Do you know how many hours are currently given to 4 Keys training during Traditions? What about in the Disney Institute training for businesses version?
Much less than what you are thinking. This is not the time where things are going to increase in budget.

Chi84

Premium Member
Not sure if serious, but by this logic, it's okay to not be inclusive in the name of safety.

"Sorry, only one gay couple per lifeboat."
Are you kidding? Everyone is included in safety evacuations under the heading of "safety" regardless of who they are. Making inclusivity a factor doesn't then give Disney the right to exclude people from safety requirements. You have to be kidding by suggesting that Disney's attempts at making people feel more welcomed would allow them to exclude those people from safety actions extended to all. Your interpretation not only violates common sense, it violates constitutional protections of equality. Okay, you have got to be kidding!

Tom Morrow

Are you kidding? Everyone is included in safety evacuations under the heading of "safety" regardless of who they are. Making inclusivity a factor doesn't then give Disney the right to exclude people from safety requirements. You have to be kidding by suggesting that Disney's attempts at making people feel more welcomed would allow them to exclude those people from safety actions extended to all. Your interpretation not only violates common sense, it violates constitutional protections of equality. Okay, you have got to be kidding!
You are failing to understand the purpose of the Keys and the reason they are numbered the way they are. Their hierarchy states that it is permissible to not be courteous, ruin the show, and operate inefficiently in the name of safety if the situation calls for it, otherwise all keys should be practiced simultaneously when possible.

So where do you place an Inclusivity key? You can't place it anywhere without devaluing it's message in some form.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom