Disney, Universal win insurance waivers.....

WildcatDen

Quit wasting your breath UncleScrooge. Just let Fosse76 go to his "Not for Profit" doctor and see how quickly he changes his toon. I wonder what gas they breath on his planet?

UncleScrooge

I hope you'll forgive me for pulling out one small piece of a larger post here, but I think this quote might be an example of being a bit too deferential to business interests.

This case has been cited by plenty of people as an example of what's wrong with our legal system, and I don't think the facts warrant that conclusion. The woman in question suffered third degree burns in a matter of seconds and incurred thousands in medical bills for skin grafts. The injuries were so severe because McDonalds knowingly stored its coffee somewhere around 40-50 degrees above the point at which skin contact could cause serious burns. The woman initially asked them to pay just her medical bills, but they turned her down, so she took them to court and got that plus more.

At any rate, I know that the facts of this particular case aren't going to change your entire worldview, but it was a little more involved than McDonalds losing money because coffee is hot. Even if none of this changes your basic thoughts on the merits of the case, you can hopefully see how another reasonable person would reach a different conclusion.

PS: I really loved you in "Ducktales."

Like in any case, the facts are debatable (which is how lawyers earn their profit :lookaroun), and if my facts in this particular case are incorrect; then I will gladly retract them. I was simply using it to illustrate many similar cases of a certain type. Regardless, whether at a conscious or unconscious level, many similar such judgments are driven in part by people's desire to go after those with "deep pockets", and the awards in many cases are seen by many as "free money" i.e.-the big company can afford it.

I hope that I am not being too deferential to business interests. That is why the legal system exists, to address wrongs. If a company acts negligently, they should be held accountable and made to compensate their victims. Trust me, I don't wear rose colored glasses when it comes to businesses- they are run by human beings many of whom don't care about doing the right thing. But so too are many individuals and hence my reason for referencing legal cases of a certain type above.

PS: Thank you, but you'll never get me #1 dime! :lol:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom