Disney too good for coaster?

Dayma

Original Poster
Disney too good for coasters?

Does everyone think that Disney is too good for your old "run of the mill" coaster like the ones at Cedar Point? Too me Disney has MUCH deeper pockets to create more visually enjoyable rides. Do you feel that Disney could benifit or be hurt by more pure coasters?

Personally I would rather go on a ride like StarTours or Mission to Mars but that cause I am not a roller coaster lover....

RickEff

Years ago, I heard a rumour about a Coaster park which would have the standard "roller coaster" rides and carnival type rides. It was said that it would be a "secondary" park and treated like a waterpark for admission.

Obviously - nothing has come of it.

That being said, California Adventure is set up more like a "regular" amusement park than a standard Disney Theme Park. I was almost shocked that in a few places air conditioners are readily visible.

I'm not sure it's a good thing. I'm also not sure if they'll think that way again.

Rick

Pioneer Hall

Again, this is what makes Disney better than their competition. They don't build your regular run of the mill coaster everything has theming and story.

stingrock23

Yeah, that's what makes Disney parks so special. They dont' need run of the mill coasters to attract visitors.

As much as I like Coasters, I can go to six flags for those.

But at Disney you're immersed in what feels like a different world

Now the coasters Disney does have are great and done well with lots of theming. Matterhorn, Space Mountain, Thunder Mountain, RNR, and Cali Screamin. and also with the upcoming expedition everest.

Dayma

Original Poster
It just seems like Disney is doing more and more with roller coasters, which I dont understand why. If they have all this technology and Imagineers cant they think of something more than a coaster in a mountain?

Mission to Mars seems like its going to be instantly popular due to nobody knows really what to expect. They know its not a roller coaster but yet its not Star Tours or TT.

ucf disneyfan

Being a lover of rollercoasters as well as a lover of Disney I think they have done a fine job with what they have now. RnR is unlike any IOA or Six Flags coaster ever made. I like the way Disney builds most of the coasters indoors or somewhat partially indoors because it gives you more of the element of surprise. I have a feeling Disney will continue to build coasters to keep up with the times, but hopefully they will have the same Disney themeing that all the originals had.

Katherine

To go as far as to say they are to good for coasters is a little to far out. But I do think that disney is to good for just a coaster(meaning no theming, story, no nothing). I love BTMRR I think it's a really nice ride it's not the fastest or the tallest but it still a ood time.

Originally posted by DarkMeasures
So. How can Disney hide a 450 foot tall roller coaster in theming?

I hid a 300 foot tall one in Roller Coaster Tycoon 2.

Thats much diffent when actually designing a structure in real life. Thats why it is called a video game. Use CAD or ArchitecturalDesktop, and then try to design somthign that can be hidden and be 300 ft tall.

rokcandy

Disney will def benefit from more 'pure' coasters, since they attract the young adult group. However, their coasters will never be Six Flags lookalikes - they're pure in that they are unlike any other park's, even more recent ones like RnR. Their theming and indoor additions make them true Disney, so I say thrill rides should keep coming, as long as they're still filled w/ that 'magic.' :)

WDWFREAK53

Originally posted by ArchiDanDisney
Thats much diffent when actually designing a structure in real life. Thats why it is called a video game. Use CAD or ArchitecturalDesktop, and then try to design somthign that can be hidden and be 300 ft tall.

Dan...silly...it's easy to do that...

(draw the structure on a hidden layer silly)

Originally posted by WDWFREAK53
Dan...silly...it's easy to do that...

(draw the structure on a hidden layer silly)

DER!

depends what program you use, if its autodesk, no, monkeywrench, no....actual design templates, maybe...

Bagheera

Blackride, repeat after me:

Mission:Space

Mission to Mars was an old attraction that replaced Flight to the Moon, and was in turn replaced by the ExtraTERRORestrial Alien Encounter.

Sorry, seeing it over and over in many threads just annoys me.:hammer:

Sir Hiss527

I think it would be hard for Disney to do a coaster like the ones at Busch Gardens, IOA, etc. Disney is based on theming, and I don't they could them something well like the Kumba for Instance. Try to Tie that end with a Disney movie.

WDWspider

Originally posted by DisneyInsider
Again, this is what makes Disney better than their competition. They don't build your regular run of the mill coaster everything has theming and story.

It's just when the theming becomes a Beach Side Park or a Carnival that the area between theme and lack thereof becomes Grey.

Hopefully with Philharmagic, Expedition Everest, and Mission:Space, the themed to be not themed era is gone.

AndyMagic

Originally posted by DisneyInsider
Obviously many of you forgot about California Screamin'. There is more theming on cheap Six Flags coasters than on that thing. And I'm sorry but a steel coaster that is meant to look wooden does not count as a theme. It always seems like everyone only remembers the good things that Disney builds and just puts all the poor quality attractions out of their memory. I always have to giggle when people make fun of Universal and Busch Gardens coasters when in fact, they all have more theming in one square inch than all of Paradise Pier. And I know that the whole theme of Paradise Pier is an old style amusement park but to me, that is just an excuse for lack of imagination and lack of budget.

LivinLarge

Originally posted by AndyMagic
Obviously many of you forgot about California Screamin'. There is more theming on cheap Six Flags coasters than on that thing. And I'm sorry but a steel coaster that is meant to look wooden does not count as a theme. It always seems like everyone only remembers the good things that Disney builds and just puts all the poor quality attractions out of their memory. I always have to giggle when people make fun of Universal and Busch Gardens coasters when in fact, they all have more theming in one square inch than all of Paradise Pier. And I know that the whole theme of Paradise Pier is an old style amusement park but to me, that is just an excuse for lack of imagination and lack of budget.

Yeah, we know what we're talking about. :rolleyes:

jmarc63

Originally posted by Bagheera
Blackride, repeat after me:

Mission:Space

Mission to Mars was an old attraction that replaced Flight to the Moon, and was in turn replaced by the ExtraTERRORestrial Alien Encounter.

Sorry, seeing it over and over in many threads just annoys me.:hammer:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom