Disney today - are we getting value for our money?

MiduraMagic4

Again, the problem is not so much the cost of the food, it’s the cost to quality ratio. I don’t mind paying a premium if I am getting a premium product. I wouldn’t have minded paying the $10 for the sandwich, chips and drink if it was actually good. I know some people LOVE Disney food but I still think the counter service food is below average fast food for the most part. I know its Disney and its going to cost more, my point is that why should you just accept mediocrity when it comes to quality. Disney is not raising prices because they Have to, its because they can. I will still go, you will still go and Disney knows this so it wont change unless numbers start to fall. Lets just all remember that we have some people on this board that make 20k a year and some that make 120k a year so "value" doesnt always translate from one to the other.

I think the food is somewhere in between fast food and a low end qulaity diner. If it were 5 bucks for a meal instead of 7 we wouldnt be having this debate. You will easily pay 5-6 bucks at McDonalds for a meal so the park inflates it by a buck or 2 at the "fast-food" type diners. The number is not even material for this percieved "rip-off" that everyone is making a huge deal about.

EPCOT.nut

Again, the problem is not so much the cost of the food, it’s the cost to quality ratio. I don’t mind paying a premium if I am getting a premium product. I wouldn’t have minded paying the $10 for the sandwich, chips and drink if it was actually good. I know some people LOVE Disney food but I still think the counter service food is below average fast food for the most part. I know its Disney and its going to cost more, my point is that why should you just accept mediocrity when it comes to quality. Disney is not raising prices because they Have to, its because they can. I will still go, you will still go and Disney knows this so it wont change unless numbers start to fall. Lets just all remember that we have some people on this board that make 20k a year and some that make 120k a year so "value" doesnt always translate from one to the other.

Yeah. I do fall way below the 120K amount. May have something to do with missing the 12th grade. Whoops.

The counter service is not worth the money. You are sooo right. Even though money is tight I spend a bit of money eating in the parks. I always eat in the sit-down restaurants. I am a foodie, though. :slurp: World Showcase is the very best place to eat, and when I had an AP I would leave whatever park I was in to go and eat in EPCOT.

2excitedkids

we took our kids to their first and hubby's first trip to disney in feb of this year. we dished out about $3000 and we stayed off site. the value of the vacation PRICELESS!!! i have so many pics up in my living room of the kids with the characters, no amount of money could buy those smiles!! they were sincerely happy and that is what is taking us back there next year. if i am in a bad mood i can look at those pics and see how happy we made our children by taking them there. oh well, if the price goes up little by little every year. you can cut corners if need be by staying off-site and eating a little cheaper. we splurged (no dining plan), we did cindy's castle for breakfast and a few more character meals. i would pay that price gladly again to see how happy they are. they are only small once and one day they won't want to be seen with mom and dad. why wait until you are "financially secure", that was always my hubby's excuse not to go and now he sees things a little differently after being in the world. we are already planning next years trip!

so, we will be coming back no matter if the prices go up! those smiles were worth every penny!

bobr0001

Deadmanwalking,

I'm with you, in my opinion WDW is no longer a good "value".

But, you can't argue with "Mom".

If you make a unique $10 widget and everyone is beating down your door, waiting in line to buy your widget, you will think "hmmm, my widget seems to be unique and everyone loves it, I could probably get $15 for my widget"

So you raise your price (supply/demand), as any shrewd business person would do.

If everyone keeps clamouring for your widget, you will think "hmmm, my widget seems to be unique and everyone loves it, I could probably get $20 for my widget". And so it goes....

That cycle will continue till people say "Hey, I love his widget, but it's starting to get a little pricey....and the quality just doesn't seem to be what it used to be, maybe his widget isn't worth it anymore"

If enough people hold that view, then your widget sales will decline and you will say "Hey, why aren't people buying my widget anymore!!" then you will be forced to either improve your widget to match the price, or drop the price.

Like it or not, Disney isn't there yet.

Right now, they have no incentive to improve thier product or lower thier price as long as everyone is beating down the doors to get in.

MiduraMagic4

Im have a bachelors in public accounting, with a minor in Economics and have been working on my CPA and I still have no clue what a widget looks like.:shrug:

MiduraMagic4

we took our kids to their first and hubby's first trip to disney in feb of this year. we dished out about $3000 and we stayed off site. the value of the vacation PRICELESS!!! i have so many pics up in my living room of the kids with the characters, no amount of money could buy those smiles!! they were sincerely happy and that is what is taking us back there next year. if i am in a bad mood i can look at those pics and see how happy we made our children by taking them there. oh well, if the price goes up little by little every year. you can cut corners if need be by staying off-site and eating a little cheaper. we splurged (no dining plan), we did cindy's castle for breakfast and a few more character meals. i would pay that price gladly again to see how happy they are. they are only small once and one day they won't want to be seen with mom and dad. why wait until you are "financially secure", that was always my hubby's excuse not to go and now he sees things a little differently after being in the world. we are already planning next years trip!

Theres proof of the intrinsic value that cannot be measured by a Disney trip. Comparing prices to McDonalds or other parks just isnt a just comparison. Thats like saying a Mercedes should be priced close to what a Ford is priced. After all both are cars with 4 wheels and doors, an engine, and 4 seats. Comparing Disney to McDonalds or 6-flags or cedar point is a completely invalid argument. The percieved value according the market year in and year out proves that the prices are exactly right:sohappy: .

jakeman

I understand your point, but in my opinion I don't accept mediocrity. There are some place at Disney we don't or rarely patron because the food is not up to the level of other places on property.

A perfect example for me is the burgers at MGM. We don't care for those burgers so we do not eat them. We do enjoy the clam chowder at Columbia Harbor House and attempt to eat there every trip.

Every place (especially one as large as Disney) has its hits and misses when it comes to dining. I don't think you can lump the entire eating experience to one simple statement.

CBOMB

Not trying to start an argument or anything but I'm curious, if your wife could set the prices what would she set them to in order to make WDW a good value for the money?
It's not really about setting a price, it's all about value for the money you are paying. Everything cost money, it's all about what you get for that amount of money that really counts. My wife feels that the quality of the experience at WDW has declined while the cost continues to rise. I agree with her on some of this while I disagree with other points she has made. Most folks here will always find a way to justify almost anything Disney does. We can come up with all kinds of explanations why it's ok to herd people on to a bus like they were cattle, and it's ok for the elderly, small children, and women to have to stand. After all it's Disney, that's just the way it's done. We find ways to justify why your room isn't vacumned each day, and why your sheets aren't changed each day. I could go on, and on, but I will stop for now. If a person speaks out about things like that, well maybe he just needs to go some where else on vacation, don't rock the boat. Let's overlook how the Parks aren't as clean as they once were, I'm sure someone can come up with a good reason for that. I still love WDW, I just think it's value is dropping for my vacation experience.

slappy magoo

You have officially fallen into the she/he's been raped once so whats a second raping camp.

It doesn't matter if the Yankees are ripping people off or the National Zoo.... The fact is that Disney is ripping people off when it comes to food and drink when you factor in quality and price. I don't care if every one and his dog along the eastern seaboard tries to rip people off, I don't go there I go to Disney and I don't like getting ripped a new one.

And apparently, you have fallen into the "I equate anything I don't like to a rape so everyone will know I am hard-core serious" camp. Kinda makes you sound silly, like politicians/talk show hosts who equate all of their perceived enemies as being "like" the Nazis or the Ku Klux Klan. The only thing comparable to a rape in this instance is that you're acting like you've been victimized. I can only imagine how many brownie points you'd score with someone on the board who was an actual victim of rape. "Wow, having to pay this much for a resort room, or a fish sandwich? Yeah, they're exactly the same thing." :rolleyes:

It's OK, you just don't know any better, I'm sure.

DABIGCHEEZ

And apparently, you have fallen into the "I equate anything I don't like to a rape so everyone will know I am hard-core serious" camp. Kinda makes you sound silly, like politicians/talk show hosts who equate all of their perceived enemies as being "like" the Nazis or the Ku Klux Klan. The only thing comparable to a rape in this instance is that you're acting like you've been victimized. I can only imagine how many brownie points you'd score with someone on the board who was an actual victim of rape. "Wow, having to pay this much for a resort room, or a fish sandwich? Yeah, they're exactly the same thing." :rolleyes:

It's OK, you just don't know any better, I'm sure.

Well said Slappy!

slappy magoo

Could we possibly get any further from the subject matter of my original post? :hammer:

If you want, but it's kind of ironic, most people get angry if their thread gets hijacked. :D

Seriously, I think the issue's been explored pretty thoroughly. Clearly, everyone has a breaking point where they determine a trip to WDW to be too expensive. For some people, that time might be now. For others, it may have been last year or ten years ago or who knows? For others, that time has not come. Value is a perception, and is therefore relative to the perceptioner. :D What constitutes too damn much money for you in regards to a trip to WDW might not meet my threshold. However, there may be other luxuries you'd gladly shell out more money for than I'd ever dream of paying. Me, personally, there are very few bands I'd be willing to shell out scalpers/ticket agent prices to see in a giant (or Giants) Stadium, let alone the cost of getting to the concert, food or drink or soveniers, etc. And even if I'm buying straight from the box office, there aren't many bands I'd pay more than, say, 50 to 60 dollars to see. Whereas some people I know would spend that much money ON TOP OF the cost of a ticket, to hire someone to wait on line or call Ticketmaster or jump on the internets tubes the day the show goes on sale to make sure they get their seats. It's rare that I'm willing to pay top dollar for orchestra seats to a Bway show, too. Meanwhile, I know people who think even matinee prices for movies are too damn expensive, let aone getting snacks, so they rarely see a movie until it's on DVD or PPV. Some people have to have Oreos, others can deal with a generic cookie. Some people only use a car to get from Point A to Point B and damn the status symbol. Certainly, not everyone feels that way.

Personally, I enjoy my trips to WDW enough that I'm not necessarily put off by the price increase, though I'm not pleased with it, either. Being a paid in full DVC member takes the sting out of it a bit as I only pay dues and can get discounts on annual passes. Past few years, WDW has been offering "value" to people who either stay for really long periods of time (making many people have to choose not to do anything else in Orlando, either because there's either no time or not enough money). Eventually, that gamble will stop paying off. Sorry for me to tell you, based on the replies in this thread, that time is probably not now. Not enough for WDW to rethink their policies anyway.

I agree... I wouldn't be upset if the food was even up to the standards of a Wendy's but its not. For the prices they charge for a burger and fries you should be able to take one bite and believe you've just tasted the best burger in the world....unfortunately when you take one bite your first thought is either "my god its cold" or "wow just like when I was in the grade school cafeteria".

And unfortunately the fact that people continue to go to Disney because they find the park prices acceptable masks the fact that the price for food vs quality is far below any reasonable person's standard.

I can only feel sorry for people that actually feel they are getting a good deal for their money - they cleary have no idea what good food tastes like.

Since Disney calls everyone who attends their parks "guests" I think it is absurd that they charge anything for admission or food for that matter. How many people out there have guests over for dinner and a pool party and charge them admission? Or charge them for a beer, or a burger, or some chips?

Oh come on... if they're polite enough when they rob you the first time you might just come back again when your wallets been refilled.

Calling you a guest is supposed to make if more difficult for you to get p&*^ off when you get reamed for the bottle of water.

mousefan1972

If you want, but it's kind of ironic, most people get angry if their thread gets hijacked. :D

Seriously, I think the issue's been explored pretty thoroughly. Clearly, everyone has a breaking point where they determine a trip to WDW to be too expensive. For some people, that time might be now. For others, it may have been last year or ten years ago or who knows? For others, that time has not come. Value is a perception, and is therefore relative to the perceptioner. :D What constitutes too damn much money for you in regards to a trip to WDW might not meet my threshold. However, there may be other luxuries you'd gladly shell out more money for than I'd ever dream of paying. Me, personally, there are very few bands I'd be willing to shell out scalpers/ticket agent prices to see in a giant (or Giants) Stadium, let alone the cost of getting to the concert, food or drink or soveniers, etc. And even if I'm buying straight from the box office, there aren't many bands I'd pay more than, say, 50 to 60 dollars to see. Whereas some people I know would spend that much money ON TOP OF the cost of a ticket, to hire someone to wait on line or call Ticketmaster or jump on the internets tubes the day the show goes on sale to make sure they get their seats. It's rare that I'm willing to pay top dollar for orchestra seats to a Bway show, too. Meanwhile, I know people who think even matinee prices for movies are too damn expensive, let aone getting snacks, so they rarely see a movie until it's on DVD or PPV. Some people have to have Oreos, others can deal with a generic cookie. Some people only use a car to get from Point A to Point B and damn the status symbol. Certainly, not everyone feels that way.

Personally, I enjoy my trips to WDW enough that I'm not necessarily put off by the price increase, though I'm not pleased with it, either. Being a paid in full DVC member takes the sting out of it a bit as I only pay dues and can get discounts on annual passes. Past few years, WDW has been offering "value" to people who either stay for really long periods of time (making many people have to choose not to do anything else in Orlando, either because there's either no time or not enough money). Eventually, that gamble will stop paying off. Sorry for me to tell you, based on the replies in this thread, that time is probably not now. Not enough for WDW to rethink their policies anyway.

You are very well spoken!! Also eloquent, and coherent. And it doesn't hurt that I agree w/you, especially the last paragraph.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom