Disney to target younger children with fall program

napnet

Original Poster
Edit: I just noticed http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showthread.php?t=74227 discussed this but here is an artical about it...

Walt Disney World is targeting families with toddlers and preschool children to fill up hotels in August and September, when folks with older kids head home to start getting ready for school.

The new "Magical Beginnings" program, from Aug. 13 through Sept. 30, will have hotel and meal packages, along with more entertainment and activities, for families with small children, Disney said Tuesday.

"This is for families who aren't constrained by school calendars to visit when it is a little less crowded," said Leslie Ferraro, senior vice president of global marketing strategies for Walt Disney Parks and Resorts. "We've heard from our guests that this [age] is a great time to take your children. It's when . . . everything comes to life. This is a great time, but it's also a difficult time because of all the hassles associated with traveling with little ones."

Much of Magical Beginnings will be exclusively for visitors who book Disney World hotels. For example, such families will be able to get into the Magic Kingdom's Fantasyland an hour earlier than the park's usual opening time on a few select days. And they'll have more exclusive meet-and-greet opportunities with costumed characters.

However, some of the offerings, including several entertainment acts such as the Wiggles and Playhouse Disney in Concert, will be available to all families.

Analysts said the program makes sense because the summer crowds drop off quickly in August. That's increasingly true in recent years as more and more districts nationwide move up their school calendars.

Dennis Speigel, president of International Theme Park Services in Cincinnati, said a lot of parks have been trying various deals to extend the summer crowds after school starts, but he knows of none that has specifically targeted families with young children.

"This is a great thing for Disney. It's filling a void. Today, the young parents are looking for opportunities to re-create," he said. "They [Disney] are doing some great target marketing."

Disney said the marketing program is based in part on surveys by the Maitland-based travel marketing firm Yesawich, Pepperdine, Brown and Russell, which found that families with toddlers and preschool children are more willing and likely than other families to take late-summer or early-autumn vacations.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/custom/tourism/orl-disney2606apr26,0,6635543.story?track=rss

bgraham34

Its nice to open up Fantasyland earlier. I just Love Peter Pan, I always try to make that my first and Last ride of my trip.

jeffb

>>"This is for families who aren't constrained by school calendars to visit when it is a little less crowded,"

This is both a win win for Disney and parents. When going with the little ones I always go when its less crowded.

To bad it is so hot and humid in Aug / Sept.

Maybe they will put something together for post Thanksgiving / pre X-mas.

Shaman

I like Disney's thinking/strategy here...they want to hook consumers on Disney as early as possible. :lol:

JimboJones123

napnet said:
However, some of the offerings, including several entertainment acts such as the Wiggles and Playhouse Disney in Concert, will be available to all families.

WHEN ARE THE WIGGLES COMING???? I WANNA GO!!!!!!

Yellow Shoes

Hmmm...I need to ponder this a while.

I will be there Sept 27 to Oct 2 with my 12 year old.

(I know what you're thinking, but you'd be wrong. We have conferences on Thu & Fri and teacher in-service on Monday, so he isn't missing school)

I'm just hoping that the abundance of toddlers means that the parks will be empty at naptime and late at night, when responsible parents will have them tucked away in bed.

However, the opposite could well be true--thousands of exhausted, over-stimulated toddlers screaming, throwing tantrums, and bouncing repeatedly off me whilst in a queue.

wannab@dis

Shaman said:
I like Disney's thinking/strategy here...they want to hook consumers on Disney as early as possible. :lol:
Not just that, but they are working it so they entice those with pre-school age kids to come when others are in school. By using the free dining plan and the special toddler activities, they will probably increase their attendence during a notoriously slower period.

I wonder how sucessful it will be and if we'll see a marked increase during Sept.

JimboJones123

Yellow Shoes said:
Hmmm...I need to ponder this a while.

I will be there Sept 27 to Oct 2 with my 12 year old.

(I know what you're thinking, but you'd be wrong. We have conferences on Thu & Fri and teacher in-service on Monday, so he isn't missing school)

I'm just hoping that the abundance of toddlers means that the parks will be empty at naptime and late at night, when responsible parents will have them tucked away in bed.

However, the opposite could well be true--thousands of exhausted, over-stimulated toddlers screaming, throwing tantrums, and bouncing repeatedly off me whilst in a queue.

I've never really found the toddlers to be an issue at WDW. The parents are MUCH more of a noise concern in almost every situation. The kids just get tired and nap in the stroller. I should know "SHUT UP KID -- OR I'LL PUNCH YOU IN THE FACE AGAIN AND REALLY GIVE YOU SOMETHING TO CRY ABOUT!" (btw -- that was a joke, We always make sure to take afternoon breaks.. every day is a "park hopper" day for us -- with extra cruise time for me to scan where I can never afford to stay -- someday Beach club ------someday.)

Yellow Shoes

You're right, Jimbo, and I stand corrected.

The toddlers are acting like children because.....well..... they ARE children.

The fault lies, as it nearly always does, with the parents.

Frequent readers have probably noticed a certain reluctance on my part to take young children to WDW. This is because I know myself.

I am a total commando, and would really seriously resent having to stop for naps, snacks, free play time, etc--all those things that one simply must do with little people. I also doubt that I would have the patience to deal with a toddler who is freaked out by the darkness of Winnie the Pooh.

Because I know it would make me nuts, and I would be one of those horrible screaming banshee parents, I have chosen to wait until my kids are old enough to do everything.

For all of you who have successful and enjoyable trips to WDW with preschoolers--more power to you.
For those of you who anticipate your children's needs and act upon them--thank you.

For those of you holding up a bus line while you argue with the driver over whether or not you have to fold up your stroller--may your Mickey bar fall off its stick.

latoberg

JimboJones123 said:
WHEN ARE THE WIGGLES COMING???? I WANNA GO!!!!!!

Wiggles are going to be there Aug 29-Sep 1

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"Playhouse Disney in Concert," presented by Huggies and Pull-Ups brands, includes performances by Disney Channel favorites The Wiggles, who will perform multiple shows daily, Aug. 29-Sept. 1. The award-winning Australian foursome will rouse the crowd with songs like "Yummy, Yummy" and "Big Red Car" as they headline a kid-friendly concert at Disney-MGM Studios. Youngsters can dance and sing along with other favorites including the Doodlebops; Johnny & the Sprites, featuring Johnny Tartaglia; Dan Zanes and more -- all scheduled to appear during the seven-week travel time. http://www.allearsnet.com/news/hnews.htm#425

The Wiggles are also on their American Tour right now. www.thewiggles.com

Just got our tickets for Tulsa OK
[/FONT]

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom