Disney to start Furloughs April 19th

TrojanUSC

Most of this is covered in the union contract or by state/federal labor laws. Most of the rest was granted to non union CMs. Why the pomp and circumstance? The union is worthless.

Union contract only allowed for a shorter furlough period, lesser period of paid healthcare, etc.

DavidS1234

I'll be honest... this is pretty generous of The Mouse, considering none of this is anyone's fault really and they are seriously bleeding because of this whole thing... and will continue to be for some time. I think Walt would approve. I really hope "the curve" begins to slope downward and everyone can get started rebuilding their lives. 🙏🙏❤️❤️

flynnibus

Premium Member
Most of this is covered in the union contract or by state/federal labor laws. Most of the rest was granted to non union CMs. Why the pomp and circumstance? The union is worthless.

In my non-union world.. pretty much everything 'stops' if you aren't actually working. Accurement, qualifying for things, ability to do things like ESPP, etc.

Here the arrangement looks like there is no impact to the employee except the pay. I think that's a win compared to what it could have been.

Lilofan

In my non-union world.. pretty much everything 'stops' if you aren't actually working. Accurement, qualifying for things, ability to do things like ESPP, etc.

Here the arrangement looks like there is no impact to the employee except the pay. I think that's a win compared to what it could have been.
The mid level to upper level mgt of Universal Orlando probably are glad to not be furloughed and have to go the unemployment route and stimulus check which some may not qualify for. Their deal of 80% of their weekly pay that they will receive to stay at home is a better deal.

flynnibus

Premium Member
The mid level to upper level mgt of Universal Orlando probably are glad to not be furloughed and have to go the unemployment route and stimulus check which some may not qualify for. Their deal of 80% of their weekly pay that they will receive to stay at home is a better deal.

Sure - but the two are not really the same. Neither in scale nor makeup of the larger organization. Yeah it's nice to say "I'd rather be paid, then furloughed" -- but that's a huge leap... and not necessarily something that could even been within reach.

Another example of a client up here.. they kept everyone but put everyone on a 50% paycut across the board. But they also aren't a Disney...

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I tend not to "infer" anything but say it directly. Their firing is not the employee's fault and Disney's paying them to sit at home is charity.

The proper response from the employees is simply "Thank you."
Just to be clear on my “opinions”...

People not being allowed to work for risk of being made sick or doing it to numbers of others are not “lazy”

And being paid maybe more than normal to prevent the overall collapse of the economy does not make them “takers”

The context matters...tired old talking points do not.

Last edited:
Just to be clear on my “opinions”...

People not being allowed to work for risk of being made sick of doing it to numbers of others are not “lazy”

And being paid maybe more than normal to prevent the overall collapse of the economy does not make them “takers”

The context matters...tired old talking points does not.
100% Agreed! thank you for stating that!! The purpose of the stimulus package is to STIMULATE the economy! The senate/house understood that some would be paid more than their normal wage during their period of unemployment - this was as it was designed.

Disney’s generous commitment to continue to pay until April 18 is because they do care about their cast. And it would cost far greater to re-hire them or others to replace them

To @RobWDW1971 :

To imply/infer/simply state Disney or the state/federal government is a hand out is flat out wrong in my opinion.

Those that are among the lowest wage earners tend to be the highest spenders because their paychecks typically get spent in their local community for bills, food, gas,etc. there isn’t anything left to save (unlike the higher wage earners who have the capacity to save - whether they do or not is a different story).

it has been proven time and again that people on unemployment don’t stay on unemployment ( there will always be outliers that don’t want or can’t work). People want to work - they want to provide for themselves and their families.

You call it “charity”. But you seem to forget these are/were employed workers. They wanted to work and through no fault of their own - they became furloughed or unemployed. I can guarantee that those cast members are grateful to Disney for their commitment to continue paying them until April 18. I can also guarantee that they are grateful to have a safety net of state and federal unemployment insurance to collect. And I can lastly guarantee that those cast members receiving assistance would rather be working at at job they tend to love. How do I know that? Because I have been a cast member for over 9 years.

Of course, that is blatantly obvious. The employees want to be working and Disney wants to be open. Disney can't be open by no fault of their own and didn't have to pay their employees a single day after closing. They did and the employees should be grateful for that generous offer.

Sea World stopped paying on 3/31, Disney is paying through 4/19. That is incredibly generous, not required, and charitable in this situation. Not sure what the anxiety is about.
The anxiety stems from your use of the word “charity” - to me it infers a negative connotation in the context of your statement . I’m sorry if I misunderstood.

I’ll leave it as this -

I interpret your statement:

Disney's paying them to sit at home is charity.
The proper response from the employees is simply "Thank you." “

...to me sounds as though you think the cast member sounds ungrateful. Your use of the phrase “...to sit at home is charity” puts a negative spin on the word charity.

To me is sounds as though you are using it in this context:
from Urban Dictionary

n) A person who never has any money and/or is constantly broke. Yet, this person never has any problem with always asking you to lend him/her some cash. The biggest problem they have is paying you back on time, if ever.

These people are the object of both pity and utter disdain by many.

Had you not used the words “sit at home” and “the cast members only response should be thank you” - your statement would have sounded more like the position you are now attempting to defend rather than the negative response that was written.

Words matter - as you appropriately pointed out in your earlier post(s). You say you don’t “infer” but rather - say directly what you think. Were that the case and you believe that it is “charitable” of Disney - perhaps go back and edit your response to match your intent.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Google's definition of the noun "charity": The voluntary giving of help, typically in the form of money, to those in need.

This situation is literally the definition of it. Disney is doing it voluntarily. The help they are providing is money. They are providing it to their employees who are in need.

Again, what is the issue? If being on the receiving end of charity makes some uncomfortable, I'm sure Disney would be happy if they refused their money.

What you call 'charity' -- many others would simply say "supporting their employees"

-em

The worrisome part is that it’ll probably take weeks or longer to get unemployment approved & actually see money. At the rate Florida is apparently approving requests it’ll take 7-8 weeks at least to see anything if nothing changes.
There will be a lot of hungry & homeless if it does take that long.

asianway

The worrisome part is that it’ll probably take weeks or longer to get unemployment approved & actually see money. At the rate Florida is apparently approving requests it’ll take 7-8 weeks at least to see anything if nothing changes.
Will they catch it up?

ImperfectPixie

Unemployment offices around the country are SWAMPED. In MA, I sat in on one of the live town-hall calls, and they said on March 1st, they had 50 employees and that as of March 10th they were training at least a couple of hundred more people.

Lilofan

Florida summer heat and humidity day and night is not a good mix of living out on the streets or in your car.

-em

Will they catch it up?
Hopefully? O Sent quoted that their goal was approving 80,000 requests this week but they had a backlog of 560,000+ at that point- not counting the 70,000 CMs (& how many others) that’ll dump into the queue in 7 days...

If they don’t triple or quadruple (at least) the approval rate.. it’ll be 8+ weeks before cast see anything..

While we will throw our ‘hats in the ring‘ next Sunday when the furlough starts- I’m not counting on seeing anything.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom