Disney to start Furloughs April 19th

TrainsOfDisney

I’m not in Florida but it is very tedious in my state... it really should be a separate system for Coronavirus. The typical unemployment process is for people in an entirely different situation than this.

So yeah, I’m glad the Disney employees get a leg up.

Tony the Tigger

I feel like their should be more outrage among those who have to use the slow website, almost as bad as an ADA compliance thing. It would be interesting to know how they are importing all those applications, because if it's automated then every employer should have the opportunity to send in the data in whatever specific format they require. Even if it's just an Excel file that is imported into the database, that service should be offered to everyone. (I'm a software developer)
💯

Nubs70

Who suggested that those seeking unemployment are buying steak and lobster? They are/were employed people that got furloughed through no fault of their own. This money is intended to put dollars back into the economy so that we have businesses that can stay in business as we migrate through this pandemic.
If millions of people have no money - they can’t pay rent, they can’t buy food, they can’t buy gasoline, they can’t pay electric bills. Do you want those millions of hardworking people to be homeless and have to deal with that economic crisis? Connect those dots and then imagine how that may affect your entitled situation. The trickledown effect to everyone is unimaginable.
However, many on unemployment are making more per week on unemployment than they do working. As businesses are putting together restart plans, it is not uncommon for keyed off work r rs to ask "why should I go back to work. I make more on unemployment "

Tonybme

However, many on unemployment are making more per week on unemployment than they do working. As businesses are putting together restart plans, it is not uncommon for keyed off work r rs to ask "why should I go back to work. I make more on unemployment "

Have any hard numbers actually been reported on this though? I keep hearing it as an anecdote but haven't seen any articles or studies. How many is "many on unemployment?" How common is "not uncommon?"

Lilofan

Have any hard numbers actually been reported on this though? I keep hearing it as an anecdote but haven't seen any articles or studies. How many is "many on unemployment?" How common is "not uncommon?"
Entry level workers in Florida make anywhere from $10-12 per hour working 30-40 hours per week. $600 per week stimulus money and approx $150-200 per week unemployment. More money earned staying at home which is unemployment on steroids.

ImperfectPixie

I can't imagine anyone wanting to stay home and collect a blown up check that will end in July vs. going back to work and knowing that you have a job.

Tonybme

Entry level workers in Florida make anywhere from $10-12 per hour working 30-40 hours per week. $600 per week stimulus money and approx $150-200 per week unemployment. More money earned staying at home which is unemployment on steroids.

Thank you for your response. That's not what I'm looking for though. I'd like to find how many people have declared their intentions to remain at home. Is there a hard number for that? Or are we just assuming people won't return based on the financials?

Does Disney have an idea of how many Cast Members will refuse return to work? And will those Cast Members actually have a choice, e.g. "Come back now or you're fired."

ImperfectPixie

Thank you for your response. That's not what I'm looking for though. I'd like to find how many people have declared their intentions to remain at home. Is there a hard number for that? Or are we just assuming people won't return based on the financials?

Does Disney have an idea of how many Cast Members will refuse return to work? And will those Cast Members actually have a choice, e.g. "Come back now or you're fired."
And if they're fired, bye-bye unemployment.

Getachew

That $600 doesn't last past July. I doubt many people who lost their full time jobs aren't going to go back to work when their job re-opens. That's just cynical thinking about people you know nothing about.

Lilofan

That $600 doesn't last past July. I doubt many people who lost their full time jobs aren't going to go back to work when their job re-opens. That's just cynical thinking about people you know nothing about.
And the taxpayers will be writing to their elected officials to extend benefits.

Nubs70

I am hearing this from my customers from whom they are hearing this within the local business community. People are getting $4,000/mo to do nothing.

Lilofan

I am hearing this from my customers from whom they are hearing this within the local business community. People are getting $4,000/mo to do nothing.
Know some from the Northeast getting $500 per week unemployment and $600 per week stimulus money. Not a bad deal.

Nubs70

Know some from the Northeast getting $500 per week unemployment and $600 per week stimulus money. Not a bad deal.
It's fun for a while but it really begins to grind on you after a while.

Just wait till July when tax day hits. I wonder how many people will not be able to pay their tax bill.

ImperfectPixie

Okay. Buuuuut...if they are asked to return to work and they don't? BYE BYE UNEMPLOYMENT. Seriously...that's how it works even during the pandemic.

I believe that this type of thinking is sheer ignorance. There will ALWAYS be a segment of any population that would rather collect money without having to work (regardless of the amount). This is a small percentage as I firmly believe that people would rather work and be productive than to sit around and do nothing.

Also - generally speaking ( not speaking about Disney) those employees lose benefits when they are collecting unemployment. They don’t have health insurance, 401K, etc.. And unemployment insurance has an end-date unlike a job which can potentially last their working lifetime - this has a much higher earning potential than just collecting some money through unemployment.

I urge you to consider your own work ethic and believe that most people are like you and believe that they want to work - because that is the reality. The ones that would rather collect than earn are the exceptions and not the rule. If this weren’t the case - we would have a country with soaring unemployment and very few willing to work. Our unemployment before this pandemic was in the range of 3%. That means ( arguably) that 97% of those in the job market are working or are able to find gainful employment.

You need to look no further back than our last recession for your answer. Before the recession -unemployment was at roughly 3.5%. Unemployment soared to 9ish %. Once companies began hiring again - unemployment numbers went back down.

Disney is no different except to say that their cast is more motivated due to their unique benefits package. The typically cast member wants and uses their Park attendance. That is a huge motivating factor for those seeking employment with the company. I can PROMISE you that you won’t find a more motivated group of employees that want to get back to work - regardless of their wage with Disney or their compensation during furlough.

Getachew

You need to look no further back than our last recession for your answer. Before the recession -unemployment was at roughly 3.5%. Unemployment soared to 9ish %. Once companies began hiring again - unemployment numbers went back down.

Disney is no different except to say that their cast is more motivated due to their unique benefits package. The typically cast member wants and uses their Park attendance. That is a huge motivating factor for those seeking employment with the company. I can PROMISE you that you won’t find a more motivated group of employees that want to get back to work - regardless of their wage with Disney or their compensation during furlough.

I agree. Not to mention unemployment eventually runs out. This notion that lots of people want to give up their full time jobs with benefits (especially in the cases of WDW cast members who get a lot of great perks), to sit at home and collect a check that will eventually run out is a cynical attitude to have, and there's no evidence to support such a theory.

ImperfectPixie

I agree. Not to mention unemployment eventually runs out. This notion that lots of people want to give up their full time jobs with benefits (especially in the cases of WDW cast members who get a lot of great perks), to sit at home and collect a check that will eventually run out is a cynical attitude to have, and there's no evidence to support such a theory.
And the federal bump is only until the end of July. I have yet to hear of someone that was able to make ends meet on regular unemployment alone.

TrainsOfDisney

If you are offered work and turn it down you can’t continue to get unemployment. At least that’s how it was explained to me. (I’m filing for unemployment in my state, may be different in Florida).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom