News Disney to reveal more about the future of Epcot at D23 Expo 2019

HoldenC

Eh...call it what you want, but its a huge property in France and almost universally loved in the country. The dish served at the end, Confit Byaldi, is a take on the title that was developed by the Executive Chef at French Laundry, the movie out grossed Harry Potter and most of the Star Wars movies in the nation and which can be traced to have caused an explosion of interest in traditional French Cuisine, which had been on a rapid decline from well before the 1990s.

To claim it has no cultural connection or validity in France is like saying that McDonalds has no cultural link to America.
I'm not dissing the film, I quite enjoyed it personally. Or even the ride as I've never ridden it, I'm sure it'll be fun. I just think they could have went with some better.

Slov72

Oh really? And where is your proof? Frozen Ever After certainly isn't edutainment. Remy won't be edutainment. We can reasonably assume Guardians won't be either.

Did you notice the "a bit" in that sentence, they are definitely relying on the entertainment part of edutainment heavily. But from what we have heard, there will still be things like Living with the land, spaceship earth, the world showcase movies, etc. in the park to balance the new entertainment only offerings.... I don't yet know the new theme for future world, and maybe it will be a mishmash of ideas, but let's wait till we hear the story at D23 or beyond or some more information from the insiders.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Dang it. Is there a consolation prize? Knowing our past interactions, the insiders seemed like a good guess. :p

I can sniff to a fairly certain degree who seems to be operating from a position of reasoned info/rumor and who’s an overgrown child looking for attention.

It’s a myth that I’m an absolutist on much of everything - including insiders.

I also know WHO is absolutely baiting people to mess with them for sheer sport...even if they do track down info otherwise (you know who I’m talking about)

...Want my opinion of Jim hill? Prolly not

Castle Cake Apologist

I can sniff to a fairly certain degree who seems to be operating from a position of reasoned info/rumor and who’s an overgrown child looking for attention.

It’s a myth that I’m an absolutist on much of everything - including insiders.

I also know WHO is absolutely baiting people to mess with them for sheer sport...even if they do track down info otherwise (you know who I’m talking about)

...Want my opinion of Jim hill? Prolly not

We probably share a very similar opinion of Jim Hill lol. Likely the same opinion held by many of our seasoned members.

jt04

A bit touchy on the theme? Some may find it reprehensible, but the theme may just be changing... I have a feeling that Disney looks at the futureworld theme and has decided that it is outdated. They will keep a bit of the edutainment feel but will structure how it is presented very differently..... more Disney.

People should also keep in mind I think that WDW already has a Tomorrowland with Walt's influence and vision in every corner.

Castle Cake Apologist

A bit touchy on the theme? Some may find it reprehensible, but the theme may just be changing... I have a feeling that Disney looks at the futureworld theme and has decided that it is outdated. They will keep a bit of the edutainment feel but will structure how it is presented very differently..... more Disney.

I just don't understand this "more Disney" business. Did another company design and operate Epcot until recently?

Castle Cake Apologist

I mean...if you’re gonna to try to profit by making stuff up...at least get the BS factor down to 75-80%. A lot of the stuff they throat would never make any sense in any context.

It's honestly weird, because I can remember the days when he was the end all be all of insiders. I also remember when he didn't seem to just throw stuff out without vetting. He was always good for a looooooong winded story, though.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I just don't understand this "more Disney" business. Did another company design and operate Epcot until recently?

The “more” Disney is indicative of the modern park clientele that is increasingly less sophisticated and economically frivolous.

More character buffets...more upsells after hours...more dining plans....more themed outfits.

Just how it seems to have trended.

PizzaPlanet

I mean...if you’re gonna to try to profit by making stuff up...at least get the BS factor down to 75-80%. A lot of the stuff they throat would never make any sense in any context.
...except he actually makes a profit by providing thoughtful insight into the history and inner workings of Disney and other parts of the entertainment industry. Sure he talks about rumors, but suggesting that's all he does is kind of ridiculous.

Saying that all he does is spout up rumors makes it seem like you aren't familiar with his podcasts at all.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
...except he actually makes a profit by providing thoughtful insight into the history and inner workings of Disney and other parts of the entertainment industry. Sure he talks about rumors, but suggesting that's all he does is kind of ridiculous.

Saying that all he does is spout up rumors makes it seem like you aren't familiar with his podcasts at all.
When you make stuff up for clicks, what use are your podcasts about the history of haunted mansion?
I’d rather have someone who tells the story with dignity. Personal choice

rle4lunch

Theoretically speaking, If imagineers made a new non-IP ride with a likable story and characters with merch you could only get at the park couldn’t that make you a lot of returns as well? Idk I don’t get it. You can incorporate IPs without ruining the theme of a park

Don't forget the other catchall, as soon as that new "non IP" ride is built, it actually becomes an IP in itself. Just like everything else that is created by a company or individual, it's their intellectual property.

capsshield

I think there is a lot one can learn about the countries you visit in the world showcase, however as you walk through Italy or Germany do you really learn a whole lot about those countries. Is it more than you learn in France? Does having a Remy ride reduce what you learn? I would argue that a big part of World showcase is the intrigue you feel to learn more about those places. Adding an IP like Remy adds to the fun of being in that country and that deepens the guests interest to explore more on their own time or spend more time in that country.
France has a great movie that adds depth to that land. Germany and Italy lack that depth.

I strongly feel that every country should have had two attraction one educational and one fun or one attraction that combines both goals.
Building Brazil without an attraction will only expand the park with little depth added to the visitors walk through of the country. Unless of course you decide to eat in one of the new eateries they build you will likely spend less than 20 minutes there.

bubbles1812

I'm not dissing the film, I quite enjoyed it personally. Or even the ride as I've never ridden it, I'm sure it'll be fun. I just think they could have went with some better.
Out of curiosity, what would you envision as ‘something better?’ I’ve ridden the ride and for this day and age, I can’t imagine what something better might be for the French pavilion. You could argue using Beauty and the Beast but other than being set in France, the Disney version(s) really have no more connection to actual France than Ratatouille does. And no one is begging for a Hunchback ride.

So then is your argument that they should have a ride based on France a la Maelstrom? (I liked Maelstrom but it was wildly outdated by the time it went, and therein always lies the problem. I wasn’t sorry to see it go). Because I’m going to be honest, I just can’t see it as a great sell.

I’m a bit nonplussed on the focus of this thread being that Epcot must be ‘edutainment.’ Even in its early years, Epcot always leaned hard on the ‘tainment’ side of things. Having been to many of the real countries [Mexico, Canada, France, Italy, Germany, UK, soon to be Japan] World Showcase features, I’d argue none of them teach you anything of real import. Heck, even the American Adventure is so outdated at this point that you can’t learn much from it. I’ve been to France three times in three different regions and compared to the real country, the France of Epcot is well...Disneyland. Which is fine. It’s a stereotyped fantasy and it serves its purpose well.

Regarding Future World, I’m not sure what I was supposed to learn from Honey I Shrunk the Audience. The original Journey was my family’s favorite ride but I didn’t feel it taught me anything, even as a kid. Spaceship Earth is great but even with it, it was never reviewing something I didn’t feel I’d already learned in school. And as great as some of the long gone rides were, they became outdated fast. But more to the point, they aren’t coming back, despite how much some older members miss them.

FutureWorld needs an update. If that means the theme morphs a bit, I’m ok with that. Change is sometimes necessary and FW is the area most in need of some juice, with the possible exception of Tomorrowland. I spent the least time there every Disney trip. I’m looking forward to seeing what Disney has in store.

Last edited:

rle4lunch

I think there is a lot one can learn about the countries you visit in the world showcase, however as you walk through Italy or Germany do you really learn a whole lot about those countries. Is it more than you learn in France? Does having a Remy ride reduce what you learn? I would argue that a big part of World showcase is the intrigue you feel to learn more about those places. Adding an IP like Remy adds to the fun of being in that country and that deepens the guests interest to explore more on their own time or spend more time in that country.
France has a great movie that adds depth to that land. Germany and Italy lack that depth.

I strongly feel that every country should have had two attraction one educational and one fun or one attraction that combines both goals.
Building Brazil without an attraction will only expand the park with little depth added to the visitors walk through of the country. Unless of course you decide to eat in one of the new eateries they build you will likely spend less than 20 minutes there.

Just stop at the kidcot tables in each country, you'll learn more about a country in 5 minutes from the cast member than you will by sniffing euro trash cologne or looking at overpriced soccer jerseys.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom