News Disney to reveal more about the future of Epcot at D23 Expo 2019

WDWbuff2001

Well if combining IPs with theme parks gives us more immersive lands like SWGE and the Potter lands then that seems like a good way to go.

Just like DAK is a mixture of the real and the mythical of the animal world, I could see Epcot (including Future World) becoming a mixture of real and imagined mythical lands. But I'm a dreamer.

Well also, DAK's original plan was to have some sort of mythical world. That kind of gave them an excuse to implement an IP into the park though...

Slov72

But that’s not the THEME!!!

you honestly need “Microsoft logic checker” on your keypad....

Even dak...which gambled and won...stretched beyond cohesion for avatar. If you don’t have a high spending stickler like James Cameron involved...it’s just as likely you get cheap like “nfl” and toy story land slapped in Epcot.

I bet this guardians ride will be fun...but it doesn’t fit the theme.

T. H. E. M. E. Park

A bit touchy on the theme? Some may find it reprehensible, but the theme may just be changing... I have a feeling that Disney looks at the futureworld theme and has decided that it is outdated. They will keep a bit of the edutainment feel but will structure how it is presented very differently..... more Disney.

lazyboy97o

A bit touchy on the theme? Some may find it reprehensible, but the theme may just be changing... I have a feeling that Disney looks at the futureworld theme and has decided that it is outdated. They will keep a bit of the edutainment feel but will structure how it is presented very differently..... more Disney.
So what is this new theme?

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
The theme is disappearing, not changing. Actually to be more precise, it's shrinking. Let's call them micro themes. Over here you have comic book themes! Over here you have vaguely Nature based themes! Here in this direction you have car? themes! And so on. It's a very Universal approach to park design. And, hey, it works for Uni, why shouldn't Disney follow along?

Bender123

Oh really? And where is your proof? Frozen Ever After certainly isn't edutainment. Remy won't be edutainment. We can reasonably assume Guardians won't be either.

I beg to differ on Rat...the IP is dripping with cultural relevance to France. It may not be "education" in the traditional "UoE" sense, but it hits a good point on the food culture that is uniquely French.

CalebS

Theoretically speaking, If imagineers made a new non-IP ride with a likable story and characters with merch you could only get at the park couldn’t that make you a lot of returns as well? Idk I don’t get it. You can incorporate IPs without ruining the theme of a park

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I beg to differ on Rat...the IP is dripping with cultural relevance to France. It may not be "education" in the traditional "UoE" sense, but it hits a good point on the food culture that is uniquely French.

Not really. The movie does that, but the ride doesn't.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Even the movie isn’t about French culture. It’s a widely known, easy to understand stereotype that makes for humorous juxtaposition.

:hilarious:

HoldenC

Sorry but that is a real stretch, what do they call it? Alternative facts. But you're entitled to think a ride based on a rat is sufficient enough to represent France. It is cool, I don't need to try change it.

Castle Cake Apologist

I'm quite convinced that they don't know "what makes Epcot, Epcot." So, now we're just going to make something up. And how can you preserve what makes the place special if you just keep tearing out the things that did?

These architects of Epcot's future would be best served to just not.

Sidebar: I'm shocked by the amount of somewhat negative comments Disney is allowing to be posted on the article. I'm assuming those will be gone by day's end.

You know who else does that on a far less informed/amateurish level?

Ooh! Ooh! I wanna play! Considering who is asking the question, my guess is our resident insiders? :rolleyes:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Ooh! Ooh! I wanna play! Considering who is asking the question, my guess is our resident insiders? :rolleyes:

I was actually referring to those that feed them...and they’re not all created equal.

Low level CMs, and notorious junior WDI people who aren’t authorized to put a shirt on in the morning without approval in the locked down decision hierarchy that starts and ends with the board room in Burbank.

Follow the money

Try not to shoot the messengers

Bender123

Sorry but that is a real stretch, what do they call it? Alternative facts. But you're entitled to think a ride based on a rat is sufficient enough to represent France. It is cool, I don't need to try change it.

Eh...call it what you want, but its a huge property in France and almost universally loved in the country. The dish served at the end, Confit Byaldi, is a take on the title that was developed by the Executive Chef at French Laundry, the movie out grossed Harry Potter and most of the Star Wars movies in the nation and which can be traced to have caused an explosion of interest in traditional French Cuisine, which had been on a rapid decline from well before the 1990s.

To claim it has no cultural connection or validity in France is like saying that McDonalds has no cultural link to America.

Castle Cake Apologist

I was actually referring to those that feed them...and they’re not all created equal.

Low level CMs, and notorious junior WDI people who aren’t authorized to put a shirt on in the morning without approval in the locked down decision hierarchy that starts and ends with the board room in Burbank.

Follow the money

Try not to shoot the messengers

Dang it. Is there a consolation prize? Knowing our past interactions, the insiders seemed like a good guess. :p

Last edited:

Castle Cake Apologist

Eh...call it what you want, but its a huge property in France and almost universally loved in the country. The dish served at the end, Confit Byaldi, is a take on the title that was developed by the Executive Chef at French Laundry, the movie out grossed Harry Potter and most of the Star Wars movies in the nation and which can be traced to have caused an explosion of interest in traditional French Cuisine, which had been on a rapid decline from well before the 1990s.

To claim it has no cultural connection or validity in France is like saying that McDonalds has no cultural link to America.

I think their point is more that the ride has little to actually do with French culture, not the film itself. The film is obviously a love letter to France.

For the most part, the ride could have been set in any fancy restaurant and little would have to be changed.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom