News Disney to reveal more about the future of Epcot at D23 Expo 2019

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Ask yourself (for academic purposes):

What makes more sense -
1. A gut of existing pavilions with high costs for IP retrofits?
2. New pavilions that haven’t been added for 31 (and counting) years?

One options has been done already 3 times in the last 15 years ...and the other is where “insiders” have been trying to trap a unicorns (unsuccessfully) for decades.

Maybe both will happen? Maybe neither? But start from the place that makes sense and then judge your rumors.

winstongator

I find it more than a little ironic that people want to go back and revive the past at a place called Future World. It was nice but didn't age well. It would age even faster now.

Even if they could get decent sponsors, which I doubt, they aren't going to feature their latest research. The world has changed dramatically since 82
You don’t need latest research nor do you need sponsors.

GPS
How do cellular phones work - rectangular antennas on towers
Microwave communications = the round antennas
5G
Optical communications
Satellite tech, include rockets
How small transistors have become, how many we use, how powerful they are
Robotics
Medical imaging - you could almost do a whole pavilion on MRI. Superconductors, antennas, Fast Fourier transforms, banging wires, it’s got it all

That’s just my personal wheelhouse. Moving outside...

The biology of disease
How to conserve energy, why leds are so much more efficient than incandescent
Real car efficiency, meaning bigger is worse (you won’t get a sponsor to say that)

When I explain today’s tech to non-engineers, they are amazed. It’s Magical everything that can be done.

GhostlyGoofy

GPS
5G
Optical communications
Robotics
Medical imaging - you could almost do a whole pavilion on MRI. Superconductors, antennas, Fast Fourier transforms, banging wires, it’s got it all

The biology of disease
Real car efficiency, meaning bigger is worse (you won’t get a sponsor to say that)

When I explain today’s tech to non-engineers, they are amazed. It’s Magical everything that can be done.
I don't deny that its fascinating stuff, but it's not gonna bring people torn between microwaves and Boy Wizards.

jt04

GPS
5G
Optical communications
Robotics

The biology of disease

The difference between OG Future World and now is all of this information is available through YouTube on a smart phone.

lazyboy97o

The difference between OG Future World and now is all of this information is available through YouTube on a smart phone.

Cause you can’t see your favorite movies on a smart phone. :rolleyes:

rle4lunch

What I want to hear: Gut the ball, complete razing and redo. Bring it back to full ride instead of the dumba$$ last 5 minutes of 'the future'.
Show off the tech for GotG, get us on board with the acceptance of the BBB (which in person from inside the park ain't that bad).
Update on the Rat.

What we'll really hear:
More artist renderings of the new entrance.
Show off the Space Restaurant some more.
More artist renderings of the Innoventions pavillion redo.
New food offerings in xxx and yyy.
No Mary Poppins.
No Brazil.
No Inside Out replacing lame-o JII.

Big finish... Preview of new interim nighttime show. :banghead:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
lol "pretty sure". I'd bet a substantial amount of money.
how much? Let’s hear it😎
I don't deny that its fascinating stuff, but it's not gonna bring people torn between microwaves and Boy Wizards.
The WDW customers (adults) have shown an increasing immaturity. Knowledge is one of the greatest gifts in life...they can’t be bothered to seek it out anymore

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
What I want to hear: Gut the ball, complete razing and redo. Bring it back to full ride instead of the dumba$$ last 5 minutes of 'the future'.
Show off the tech for GotG, get us on board with the acceptance of the BBB (which in person from inside the park ain't that bad).
Update on the Rat.

What we'll really hear:
More artist renderings of the new entrance.
Show off the Space Restaurant some more.
More artist renderings of the Innoventions pavillion redo.
New food offerings in xxx and yyy.
No Mary Poppins.
No Brazil.
No Inside Out replacing lame-o JII.

Big finish... Preview of new interim nighttime show. :banghead:

You had me till “gut the ball”...any idea how much that thing cost in 1979 dollars?

Not realistic

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I'm hoping that the rumors about the Land and the Seas pavilion going away are just that - fake news to fill a podcast. They could do so much with those two pavilions to update them. I'd hate an Epcot without Living With the Land.
Agree...destruction is gonna dominate the world news more everyday. To do this is as clueless as wearing a princess dress as an adult

...ok...”close to that”

ChrisFL

Premium Member
I'm just guessing but....What (unnamed rumor monger) heard "Demolishing the buildings next to The Land and Living Seas", what he thought he heard "Demolishing the buildings, The Land and Living Seas", but it meant the Innoventions buildings

GhostlyGoofy

I am so conflicted about Future World. Walking around it is like being on the Abandoned set of Logan's Run. Now for me that kind of has a retro futuristic charm. But that's not something that's going to boost attendance.

Anytime you base something on the future, you're running the clock against obsolescence.

And this might be blasphemy but the rides Horizons, Space Ship Earth and World of Motion were all essentially the same thing; Dark ride past some AAs through history with a glimpse into the future.

That being said I don't know if replacing rides with stuff like Marvel movies is the best choice. But ultimately it's about boosting attendance and that will probably work.

Also Disney is all about creating Cradle to the Grave Consumers. Children who have memories of that awesome marvel ride from that movie they loved as a 10 year old will want to keep coming back. Even as stuff changes. Just like the kids who wore a Davy Crockett hat around frontier land on opening day.

Personally I think EPCOT futureworld should start putting focus on Conservation. They can still do that with Land and Sea Pavillions. They have IP like Wall E and Dory to explore those ideas.

But will that draw in big crowds, will it draw away people from spending a day of their vacation at Universal? Probably not.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom