News Disney to pilot electronic-only transactions at its resort hotels

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
I don't begrudge anyone who wishes to use plastic for everything. As I said previously, I've had enough problems with cards already to last a lifetime, and I hopefully still have another 40-45 years to go.

At least if you run into issues with credit card fraud/theft, the credit card companies are usually pretty good about being on your side. My credit card has become VERY good at flagging and preventing transactions that might not be from me (every so often when I try to use my credit card, I'll get an email saying that a transaction looks suspicious and will require me to click an approve button before the transaction goes through) and the one time that a fraudulent transaction did happen, they reversed the charge and got me new cards no questions asked. You lose your wallet (either by legitimate loss or pick-pocket) and chances are pretty decent that any cash that was in there you probably wont get back. Add on the fact that I get a 1% rebate on ALL transactions (and up to a 5% rebate on some transactions) and it's just no question for me.

I certainly understand the reluctance though and I would never think less of you for your opinion. My wife was a waitress previously and always had cash on hand and I certainly see (even to now) the benefits of having cash on hand...

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I feel like the security ship has already sailed. So many merchants have been compromised that huge breaches dont event really make the news anymore. Assume your card has been compromised and check the statement closely each month. Its then up to the card issuers to reverse out the fraudulent transactions.

I couldn't agree more...that is the truth.

the.dreamfinder

This is an interesting move. There was a circuit court mandate several years ago, that stemmed from an Apple store issue, that since the only recognized form of legal tender in the US was cash that transactions were required to accept it.

A quick google search hasn't brought up the article I read this from.

Personally I still use a mix of cash and card for everyday stuff. My last vacation to Disney I brought both with me. Most tips at restaurants I left in cash and any purchases under 50 were made with cash as they didn't count for the Visa discount.
The big area I’m sort of interested in seeing go cashless would be quick serve. My first experience with a cashless establishment was at Sweetgreen here in town. Theft has been brought up already, but you will not believe how much time cashiers spend counting and giving change with the customer then trying to put it away. They also will accept bills for Sweetgreen gift cards, which Disney will be doing. Between Mobile Order and this cashless initiative, they could likely cut down the number of cashiers across the parks. Disney will probably pocket the savings to pad profits, but you could take the savings to improve the quality of ingredients and maybe pay the kitchen staff a little better.

njDizFan

For those thinking cash is outdated, the Federal Reserve does studies of these types of things and found the following in 2016:

• Most consumer payments are for small value transactions, and cash predominates these small value payments. Approximately 60 percent of in-person payments under $10 were made in cash, compared to 20 percent of in-person transactions for $25 or more.
  • Cash is held and used by a large majority of consumers, regardless of age and income; however, how it is used varies across demographic groups.
  • Consumers’ opportunities to use cash are limited to in-person transactions for the most part. In 2016, only 75 percent of all payments were conducted in person.
(Emphasis added)

Plus, no one can track your cash transactions (Don't think the government isn't watching everyone, even you, John Nobody-Special).

I don't begrudge anyone who wishes to use plastic for everything. As I said previously, I've had enough problems with cards already to last a lifetime, and I hopefully still have another 40-45 years to go. As such, I'm much more wary of using cards for more than what is absolutely necessary, so you can pry my cash out of my cold, dead hands. :)
Yes I understand that cash is still the major way people spend money but it is decreasing year over year. Still about 50% of all cash transactions happen with households that earn less than 50K per year. So there is some importance in regards to income and the ability to have a credit card or access to a good banking platform.

Some countries(The Netherlands) have practically outlawed cash usage, some other countries(Germany) use cash often as a method to avoid overspending. Personally I do not see the risk/reward of ever doing a cash transaction. I am earning points, I have constant access to my funds in my wallet at all times ( no more "I have to run to the bank/ATM situation"), I do not have to worry about losing my money and if there is an issue with my credit card, funds are generally replenished in short order. If I was concerned about data mining I would go live with JT in the New Mexican desert. But to each their own.

FYI I work in retail banking so I deal with credit card/debit card fraud quite often. The risk is spread fairly evenly between internet fraud, check forgery, ACH fraud and card related fraud. It's the world we live in, but there are ways to keep yourself "safer".

seascape

IDK where you live but I have never seen any place in my city that does that. The city would be on them like flies on poop.
All 5 boroughs of NYC are the same. Any time I pay cash they don't charge sales tax but when I pay with credit card they do. For the record I prefer to use my Chase Card which gives me 3% plus an addiional 50% if I use the points for travel, which I do.

TheGuyThatMakesSwords

And I have a question - not limited to Disney.

Grab a $10 bill out of your wallet. Look front, lower left.....

"This note is legal Tender for all debts, public and private".

A NUMBER of business seem to want to be "cashless". But I would suggest that they are currently overruled by the Federal Government.
Consider - who wants to be first in line for a Federal Lawsuit when that US currency is offered, and rejected?

Now - no effect on us, we have all those plastic payment methods. Nope, just CURIOUS if a business can make this stick?

Jahona

The big area I’m sort of interested in seeing go cashless would be quick serve. My first experience with a cashless establishment was at Sweetgreen here in town. Theft has been brought up already, but you will not believe how much time cashiers spend counting and giving change with the customer then trying to put it away. They also will accept bills for Sweetgreen gift cards, which Disney will be doing. Between Mobile Order and this cashless initiative, they could likely cut down the number of cashiers across the parks. Disney will probably pocket the savings to pad profits, but you could take the savings to improve the quality of ingredients and maybe pay the kitchen staff a little better.

I'm curious what the difference between cash inconsistencies and the profit taken by credit card transaction fees.

A NUMBER of business seem to want to be "cashless". But I would suggest that they are currently overruled by the Federal Government.
Consider - who wants to be first in line for a Federal Lawsuit when that US currency is offered, and rejected?

Now - no effect on us, we have all those plastic payment methods. Nope, just CURIOUS if a business can make this stick?

I've brought this up earlier in this thread. There was a case years ago where a woman tried to buy an iPad with cash at an apple store and was turned down. This brought on several conversations, in 9th circuit court I believe.

skibum123

They won't sell you the item. Therefore, no debt incurred; no cash taken.

seascape

Heck no- not me. Without cash buyers, who is going to subsidize all my credit card points and sign-up bonuses. We need them.
You and I are not subsidized by those who pay cash but by those who don't pay their credit card bill in full every month. I only pay by credit card and get lots of points for free rental cars and air travel.

nickys

Premium Member
I can see a few problems here.

Kids like to have spending money, and enjoy being able to go and buy a Mickey bar or popcorn, or a souvenir Safari Mickey. Open up,their purse/wallet and hand over their money, feel all grown up.

So now they have to hand over their money to mom or dad, who pays with their band. Not quite the same. Not earth shattering, but still, this is Disney, a place for kids.

Ah, I know, buy a gift card with their money instead. Small problem, they can't do that because they can't buy a gift card - because the resort doesn't take cash! And you can't buy a gift card with a magic band, found that out on Christmas Eve when I wanted to do that at the last minute, and didn't have my cards with me. So you'd have to wait until you visited a park first. Plus there's the fact that once on a gift card, you have to spend it at Disney. So if they only wanted to buy one thing for $30 and had $10 left over, they have to spend it or lose it.

Personally I'm fine with this. I really liked not having to worry about cash most of the time whilst on property. Just made sure we had some to tip where necessary. But I can see some people not being happy, especially with young children.

Walt d

Well, my dad would be out of luck. He has no form of credit card or debit card. Cash is king with him. Stupid, I know. Good news is he is way too cheap to go to WDW. LOL Spent my whole youth trying to get him to take us. :facepalm: I am sure he is not the only one who chooses to use cash.
Hi i have a male friend like that, no cards, for him and his wife. 50s ror age, he has a big wad of cash that he carrys real safe huh” he drives i tryed to talk him in to geting a card no! We surf to gather and he need ed some new booties. No” just use the holy ones and and freeze and complain . You would think he was amish so i no were your coming from my card diney visa, from day one

castlecake2.0

I’m nit sure it’ll reduce the amount of cashiers but rather reduce the amount of time spent at the start/end of cashiers shifts counting their float and filling out their deposit bags/paperwork along with removing the potential of cash fraud transactions

TheGuyThatMakesSwords

They won't sell you the item. Therefore, no debt incurred; no cash taken.

Even better.... a debt for a room, by this reasoning, may be dissolved :). I give you money, you refuse it - done :). And THESE days, anyone could capture video of the attempted transaction :).

Again - we HAVE all that plastic.... and use a CC anyway. So no effect to us. Just wondering if "Electronic Only" companies can actually make this stick :). They might - but someone at the Federal Level needs to get that phrase off of their cash :).

Now, that's not going to happen :). I really like the comment Jahona made above. I wonder how the 9th circuit court finally ruled?

njDizFan

On a strange side note...

There is no restriction that a community or business use US greenbacks, local communities can create their own form of currency. There are several smaller forms of cash money floating throughout the states. There over 300 local forms of currency.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom