Disney to offer 'in-park' free WiFi for the first time this summer at Epcot

Tigger1988

I'm sure I speak for the majority when I ask...
NPHWhy.gif

I am meant to get away from it all while I'm in the parks.

Then don't use it and go about your visit as you always have. I really don't get why people complain or get upset over additions they aren't forced to use.

Florida_is_hot

A smart phone in the park is OK to me and with unlimited data going away this is nice. Some people just need to be connected. I'm not saying they should be conducting business or editing spread sheets but the occasional email is fine. My clients shouldn't have to suffer cause I'm on vacation... a tablet in the park however... seems like a bad idea. It makes it too easy to be distracted. I don't care what other people do on their trip but holding up an ipad to take video is starting to interrupt mine.

Ok.... and what did you do before smartphones ?

I love WiFi myself, just because it is the only way i can get data in the USA, i can not afford US data roaming rates.

love disney

Then don't use it and go about your visit as you always have. I really don't get why people complain or get upset over additions they aren't forced to use.

Perhaps one of the reasons people complain or get upset over additions such as these is that they feel the money spent on this could have been used much more wisely in other places. The same could be said about the billion dollar investment (that's the number I have read thrown around, not sure if it is accurate or hyperbole) in the X-Pass/FastPass+ system. It might not be that people think the ideas/additions in and of themselves are bad, but rather that Disney would be much better served investing that money in other areas of the parks.

StageFrenzy

But now you can download pictures and videos of when they maintained the parks better. Don't like the Judy Dench narration, download Irons or Cronkite. Don't like the tombstones download an old picture without them and put it in front of your face. Just watch out for the cart that wasn't there a couple years ago.

Tigger1988

Perhaps one of the reasons people complain or get upset over additions such as these is that they feel the money spent on this could have been used much more wisely in other places. The same could be said about the billion dollar investment (that's the number I have read thrown around, not sure if it is accurate or hyperbole) in the X-Pass/FastPass+ system. It might not be that people think the ideas/additions in and of themselves are bad, but rather that Disney would be much better served investing that money in other areas of the parks.
Except the complaint I quoted stated they go to Disney to "get away from it all" not "money could be used better elsewhere" so...

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Indeed. As a foreigner, accessible and free wifi is what should be expected after paying several thousand $$$ to visit the mouse. It's nice to check messages from home, arrange to meet friends, and maybe upload the odd trip pic from in park.... And not be limited to Project Tomorrow.

Clever Name

But the radio waves are so intrusive!

Occasionally glancing at a wristwatch is far different from people that are totally absorbed and engrossed in their cell phones, tablets or laptops. People drive their cars while texting and as a result they are not paying full time and attention to their driving. Pedestrians in a crowded area have a duty (if only out of courtesy) to watch where they are going.

I have seen numerous times at Disney and elsewhere when cell phone users have bumped into other pedestrians. I have seen fights result from this behavior.

Most people just don't multitask very well. If you want to text on your phone, get off to the side and away from other people. I think Disney is restricting this to the tent areas to avoid traffic problems. :wave:

NoChesterHester

Occasionally glancing at a wristwatch is far different from people that are totally absorbed and engrossed in their cell phones, tablets or laptops. People drive their cars while texting and as a result they are not paying full time and attention to their driving. Pedestrians in a crowded area have a duty (if only out of courtesy) to watch where they are going.

I have seen numerous times at Disney and elsewhere when cell phone users have bumped into other pedestrians. I have seen fights result from this behavior.

Most people just don't multitask very well. If you want to text on your phone, get off to the side and away from other people. I think Disney is restricting this to the tent areas to avoid traffic problems. :wave:

The wristwatch analogy is valid. In the 1920's it was so popular that it became a faux pas to glance at your wrist.

How would this possibly change behavior? People are going to do what they are going to do... What is the issue in providing the infrastructure? It should have been done years ago.

AlishaMisha

Very excited over this. I got wifi once in Italy. I was waiting for someone and I figured I would check for laughs. Sure enough I was on my way to playing Words with Friends in the park.

Here is my opinion. I am not a smartphone user. I can't justify having a data plan for my needs when I have a kindle fire. Although, every year when I am in WDW I have a strong feeling that I need a smartphone because of all the apps featuring WDW wait times and such that run on 3G. I hate how small cellphone screens are and quite frankly I rarely make a call (I have been known to leave my cell dead for a week without a flinch). However, I use my Kindle Fire constantly. Luckily there is wifi pretty much everywhere I need to go for my casual needs. However when I am in WDW I suddenly can not use those wait time apps. I do bring my Kindle Fire into the parks. It is a great size and it sure helps beating wait times by playing a game that you pass along your party. But what I really need it for is wait times.

Now people with smartphones always walked around WDW with them. This won't change, so I have no idea why everyone is having a beef. But what it will do is allow users to switch off their 3G and turn on wifi to avoid using up their data.

And people who for some reason feel the need to bring an iPad, well they were taking pics on them before wifi, because you don't need wifi to take pics...

I can not see any bad in this. Nothing is changing, it is only making things more convenient, but behavior will not change.

bhg469

The wristwatch analogy is valid. In the 1920's it was so popular that it became a faux pas to glance at your wrist.

How would this possibly change behavior? People are going to do what they are going to do... What is the issue in providing the infrastructure? It should have been done years ago.

Google glass will keep people from looking at their smart phones. That's at least a year away though.

Indeed. As a foreigner, accessible and free wifi is what should be expected after paying several thousand $$$ to visit the mouse. It's nice to check messages from home, arrange to meet friends, and maybe upload the odd trip pic from in park.... And not be limited to Project Tomorrow.

This.

I don't know what percentage of visitors are from overseas, but there has got to be loads of folk who can't or won't pay the ridiculous prices for US roaming. This will make my trip easier and more affordable.

Timekeeper

Ah, wonderful. Now I can upload the photos that I just took of the facade scrims on Main Street.

Alas, Disney's priorities. :brick:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom