Disney to buy back Disney Store chain

mickhyperion

I think Disney should convert all of the stores they keep into boutique versions of the more upscale World of Disney brand stores. The WoD stores are pretty much what the Disney Stores were originally anyway in terms of merchandise, just much larger.

elizs77

I hope if/when Disney buys back the stores, they put back the little TV's that showed the Disney Park videos.
I used to just stare at those TV's, wishing I was in the parks, while my wife did all the shopping.

I totally had forgotten about that little TV! Ours was up near the front of the store in the wall. There were also the TVs that were near the videos that had a movie on as well in addition to the big screen.

Kamikaze

I think Disney should convert all of the stores they keep into boutique versions of the more upscale World of Disney brand stores. The WoD stores are pretty much what the Disney Stores were originally anyway in terms of merchandise, just much larger.

Thats just not possible. Most existing Disney Stores are small locations. You can't fit a big store into a small place.

The World of Disney in New York is amazing, and thats because its modeled after the DTD one, and run by Parks and Resorts. But its also huge. You can't fit that store into existing locations, and I can't see Disney buying up multiple mall slots to build stores in.

Captain Hank

Thats just not possible. Most existing Disney Stores are small locations. You can't fit a big store into a small place.

The World of Disney in New York is amazing, and thats because its modeled after the DTD one, and run by Parks and Resorts. But its also huge. You can't fit that store into existing locations, and I can't see Disney buying up multiple mall slots to build stores in.
The OP said "boutique versions of...World of Disney," meaning similar, yet much smaller. For the record, I think that would be a good direction to go in.

TheDisneyGirl02

I did notice the last time I was in our Disney Store a couple weeks ago that there was a nicer, new selection of adult clothing and some different artwork. Hopefully, that will continue.

Thank you for noticing the selection of adult clothing and the artwork!!!!! Some of the stores didn't receive the adult clothing and I think that is very sad because it's GREAT!!!!!

I learned about the sale today when my manager called me at my full time job. I cried a little since I don't want to lose my Disney family again. I can only hope that my store isn't one that is closed. We do quite well so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that we are safe. :eek:

raven

Original Poster
Not only has the merchandise changed but some of the new CM's that were hired in after the TCP take-over. A few of the CMs say "Welcome to the Disney Store" with as much enthusiasm as Ros from Monster, Inc. And there are a few who even look like her. :eek:

I think that in general this is good news, but I have to admit I'm a bit concerned about a decline in product variety. There were periods last year when TDS was the only place to get Ratatouille and Enchanted merchandise, and as far as I know it's still the only place to get Oswald merchandise. I hope this change doesn't mean that from now on we'll just get offshoots of merchandise already available in the parks.

Ratatouille merchandise is still around in our backstage area at the store and we can't get rid of it. But Disney will be in charge of the new merchandise this time.

This would be AWESOME!!!!!!!!

Well, wait no longer. Disney is ready to take over immediately:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/film/news/e3ie4bd24ee9875ae56758c15b6c43bb1b2

TheDisneyGirl02

It seems people think Disney will go back to the old days of adult clothes, gallery items and high end collectors items. If you look at the sucessful European stores you will see it's blocks of brands in the stores. So expect to see a block of Princess's, Cars, Pooh, Fairys, Pirates and a wall of plush. The stores will look much better but the stock isn't in for much a change I wouldn't think.

Heres a picture of our local store which was a second new concept store done in the UK http://www.manchesterarndale.com/news-6335.htm notice the diffrence to new ones in the US.

To be perfectly honest with you, I don't really like that style store...I think it's kind of boring. I couldn't really tell that it was a Disney Store, if I wouldn't have known that it was a Disney Store, I would have thought it was just another store in the mall. I much prefer the stores here in America, they actually have character. You walk up to a Disney Store and you know it's a Disney Store because of the characters that surround you. I hope it stays that way.

Actually, block merchandising still is in play at the stores. We have a lot of princess, Pooh, Cars, Fairies, etc., that hasn't changed nor do I expect it to change. It is what people want so they would be foolish to take it away. Whatever they add will be a new addition at this point and hopefully this time around they will actually listen to the guests.

To me, this is what a Disney Store should look like (minus the old costumes! LOL!) http://www.dbsphoto.com/LTpix/34.jpg

And this is what my store looks like and what I will ALWAYS love:
http://xfd.xanga.com/e10d05442413291690086/z63760922.jpg

wedway71

Not only has the merchandise changed but some of the new CM's that were hired in after the TCP take-over. A few of the CMs say "Welcome to the Disney Store" with as much enthusiasm as Ros from Monster, Inc. And there are a few who even look like her. :eek:

Ratatouille merchandise is still around in our backstage area at the store and we can't get rid of it. But Disney will be in charge of the new merchandise this time.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/film/news/e3ie4bd24ee9875ae56758c15b6c43bb1b2
Thanks for the GREAT news Raven.

For a while I had planned on using my extensive Retail Management backround with Target to come aboard with Disney Store at the District or Regional level.Then after a while I could transfer internally to Parks and Resorts in Merchandise Mgt.
Maybe I do have a chance.

BTW-In Michigan??? I am in Mgt with Meijer... Were "kinda big" in Michigan-lol

wedway71

To be perfectly honest with you, I don't really like that style store...I think it's kind of boring. I couldn't really tell that it was a Disney Store, if I wouldn't have known that it was a Disney Store, I would have thought it was just another store in the mall. I much prefer the stores here in America, they actually have character. You walk up to a Disney Store and you know it's a Disney Store because of the characters that surround you. I hope it stays that way.

Actually, block merchandising still is in play at the stores. We have a lot of princess, Pooh, Cars, Fairies, etc., that hasn't changed nor do I expect it to change. It is what people want so they would be foolish to take it away. Whatever they add will be a new addition at this point and hopefully this time around they will actually listen to the guests.

To me, this is what a Disney Store should look like (minus the old costumes! LOL!) http://www.dbsphoto.com/LTpix/34.jpg

And this is what my store looks like and what I will ALWAYS love:
http://xfd.xanga.com/e10d05442413291690086/z63760922.jpg

Ya know-I really like the old costumes. Thought it was very American/Disney/Apple pie.

raven

Original Poster
BTW-In Michigan??? I am in Mgt with Meijer... Were "kinda big" in Michigan-lol

Oh yes! Meijer is everywhere up here.

And if you want to jump in on the Disney-wagon at your level of management then you just might be in luck. When Disney owned the stores they never promoted people within the company any higher than an Asst. manager of a store. It stunk at the time but when TCP took over they moved up people who really don't belong up there. My old head manager moved up to district manager and now she works at the home office for TCP. To me she just didn't have the qualities that I though someone in that position should have.

Good luck though! We need good people. And since I'm planning to move to Orlando soon I probably won't be with TDS much longer after the summer.

TheDisneyGirl02

Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU for posting that link!!!! I've been talking with my CM friend and my one manager about everything and I'm hoping for the best. It's amazing that they want the stores back by Christmas!!!!

Although we'll get our benefits back, I'm not working there for the benefits, I'm working there because I love Disney and what Walt created. I've been there through the good times and the bad times and hopefully this is will another good time.

raven

Original Poster
Although we'll get our benefits back, I'm not working there for the benefits, I'm working there because I love Disney and what Walt created.

And that's exactly the type of enthusiam that the stores currently lack. Not that we CMs are loosing our touch, it's just that we haven't had anything to really get excited about. We currently aren't even allowed to talk to guests about certain Disney things, unlike the way it was before.

We need to get that excitement back into the stores and fill it with happy people again.

Another thing. Disney CM's buy Disney things...when they work. I visited our store a few weeks ago and was pushed by management to pre-order Enchanted on DVD. Well, normally I wouldn't think twice about it. But since I haven't had a scheduled shift in 6 weeks I have to cut back funds. My Disney job supports my Disney obsession. But when we are cut hours then we cut our spending. The way I figure it is, Disney is actually making money off of it's CM's in the stores because we spend what we earn on their merchandise. We also sell their products better than anyone due to us all be crazy about the mouse. It's time to be happy once again.

TheDisneyGirl02

And that's exactly the type of enthusiam that the stores currently lack. Not that we CMs are loosing our touch, it's just that we haven't had anything to really get excited about. We currently aren't even allowed to talk to guests about certain Disney things, unlike the way it was before.

We need to get that excitement back into the stores and fill it with happy people again.

Another thing. Disney CM's buy Disney things...when they work. I visited our store a few weeks ago and was pushed by management to pre-order Enchanted on DVD. Well, normally I wouldn't think twice about it. But since I haven't had a scheduled shift in 6 weeks I have to cut back funds. My Disney job supports my Disney obsession. But when we are cut hours then we cut our spending. The way I figure it is, Disney is actually making money off of it's CM's in the stores because we spend what we earn on their merchandise. We also sell their products better than anyone due to us all be crazy about the mouse. It's time to be happy once again.

My managers always tell me that it's my enthusiam for Disney that helps sell the products...I'll talk Disney with anybody! I love it...I basically sleep, eat, drink and breath Disney. Most of the CMs at my store have been there since before the sale or have worked at WDW (myself included) so we have a lot of great Disney fans who LOVE what we are selling and what we are doing! We talk Disney and just make it a magical experience for everyone and it's so much fun!

Let me tell you...I worked on Tuesday night...I spent over $80 before my shift started!!!! That's more than 2 weeks pay! But I love it so I buy it.

It's mind boggling that Disney wants us back...I guess I haven't totally wrapped my mind around the idea - almost like it's too good to be true, however it won't change what I do when I'm at the store. I do the same thing that I did when we were Disney, I try to make it magical for everyone.

:)

Not only did our stores in the Detroit area get remodled, they cut the size of them in half too. It was a sad day when the one nearby reopened. There were articles about this last fall, saying TCP was not living up to the contract agreement as far as remodles, and new openings. Most of the articles also cited merchandising disagreements, inventory mismanagement, and loewer than expected revenues.

Brian_WDW74

That was sort of my point. TDS under TCP was at least willing to take a chance on some of these newer (and older) properties that Disney seems to take a more "wait and see if it becomes popular" approach with. Look how long it took for Disney to begin selling HSM merchandise, for example. Or the examples I previously gave. Like I said, I still haven't seen hide nor hare (pun intended) of Oswald anywhere at the parks.

Don't get me wrong. I think it's great news that Disney is reclaiming TDS, and I'm happy that employees will become CMs again. I just hope they don't take the safe route with the chain and start selling the same old PotC-HSM-Hannah Montana merchandise they sell at the parks. Continue to take a chance on the other stuff. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom