Disney to begin testing an electric bus this summer

PhotoDave219

I hate to do this because it's going to take this thread in an entirely different direction......again, but if you were King of Disney, and was accountable to a BOD and shareholders, what business model would you switch to?

Explaining that long term profits and long term investments for the good of the parks and the company will win out in the long run.

Mandating profit margins for every segment of the business is insane IMO.

Goofyernmost

........ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ ..........
It's more than just $$$ although that is probably a large part of it. As much as technology has advanced over the years, there still is no dependable way for electronic vehicles to have either the power or the daily life span to do what the current gas driven one's do now.

This is not like taking a car and running to the corner store a couple of times per week. These things operate all day long, everyday, hauling tons of passengers back and forth. No electric vehicle could possibly do that all day without needing charging within a short period of time. They'd probably have to have triple, if not more, vehicles to do the same job that one does now. It's OK to dream, I guess, but at some point in time we have to be realistic about what is feasible and what isn't. One thing I have noticed is that even though Natural Gas powered engines do not put as many carbons in the atmosphere as regular gas, if you think that the exhaust is bad now, you should wait to smell the exhaust from Nat. Gas.o_O

I guess I just grew up with the small of exhaust but, honestly, have never really noticed anything excessive about the "fumes" and since it is an open sided vehicle, whatever does happen, when the wind is right, is so minor as to not be noticeable, at least by me.;)

PhotoDave219

It's more than just $$$ although that is probably a large part of it. As much as technology has advanced over the years, there still is no dependable way for electronic vehicles to have either the power or the daily life span to do what the current gas driven one's do now.

No, there's not. The interesting thing about this bus (http://www.proterra.com/) is that its designed to have an overhead charging station recharge it for the 3-5 minutes that it is sitting at whatever bus stop its at.

Otherwise, you're taking the bus back every 3-4 hours to be recharged. And thats not practical.

PhotoDave219

You're confusing the issue with facts.
They won't be using the flash charging feature on this test. Too much involved. They'll be recharged the conventional way backstage.
Flash charging the batteries on electric buses is a recent innovation, so there are unanswered questions regarding it's practicality, and again, the cost.

I never said that Disney was testing it in that way. I said that was a feature of the bus. Nothing more.

Can't you read? You're confusing your delusions with what was stated. If i wanted to, I'd have said that they're taking the bus back to the south service area every 3-4 hours for charge, which is whats actually happening. But no, you're hell bent on being an argumentative .

So Mister Argumenative , tell us, how exactly are we supposed to think about this test? What are we supposed to be thinking when we discuss buses that run on alternative energy?

Goofyernmost

No, there's not. The interesting thing about this bus (http://www.proterra.com/) is that its designed to have an overhead charging station recharge it for the 3-5 minutes that it is sitting at whatever bus stop its at.

Otherwise, you're taking the bus back every 3-4 hours to be recharged. And thats not practical.
Now there's something that I hadn't heard about. Charging Stations! And all automatic, wow! I cannot even begin to imagine how much that must cost.:eek: Good idea for the future, but the future isn't right now, I'm thinking. Someday maybe, when the costs come down to earth. I wonder what it would take for a place like Disney to spend that kind of money on a pure overhead expense. Even the best Green PR in the world would not have a payback that significant, but if they can spend 2 billion on NextGen, this could be possible as long as every bus lets people out at a gift shop or better yet, in a gift shop. :D

Goofyernmost

Now there's something that I hadn't heard about. Charging Stations! And all automatic, wow! I cannot even begin to imagine how much that must cost.:eek: Good idea for the future, but the future isn't right now, I'm thinking. Someday maybe, when the costs come down to earth. I wonder what it would take for a place like Disney to spend that kind of money on a pure overhead expense. Even the best Green PR in the world would not have a payback that significant, but if they can spend 2 billion on NextGen, this could be possible as long as every bus lets people out at a gift shop or better yet, in a gift shop. :D
Sorry about that, I quoted myself because I am so impressed with everything I have to say that, I just had to see it in print once again. :oops:;)

PhotoDave219

Its going to cost a fortune to move to electric buses.

rael ramone

Here's a wrench on the 'bus stop charging stations'.....

What happens to the long caravan of empty Downtown Disney Magical Motorcoaches that appear between each park bus? Are they gonna sit there for 3-5 minutes empty, blocking the park busses from the stop?

And how does Central Florida generate their power? In areas of the country where 'coal is king', it's actually more 'green' to run on nat. gas then plugging into an electrical grid powered via coal.

What happens to the long caravan of empty Downtown Disney Magical Motorcoaches that appear between each park bus? Are they gonna sit there for 3-5 minutes empty, blocking the park busses from the stop?

And how does Central Florida generate their power? In areas of the country where 'coal is king', it's actually more 'green' to run on nat. gas then plugging into an electrical grid powered via coal.

CNG would be great. I would love for the whole country to switch to it. But , we still have to drill and Frak it , which is what all the utopian society people disagree with. CNG is the best solution to getting away from Oil.
They already have tested vehicles , some large trucks already have a CNG as a second tank. Not that it matters what we think , we do not control the billions that disney does.

tissandtully

CNG would be great. I would love for the whole country to switch to it. But , we still have to drill and Frak it , which is what all the utopian society people disagree with. CNG is the best solution to getting away from Oil.
They already have tested vehicles , some large trucks already have a CNG as a second tank. Not that it matters what we think , we do not control the billions that disney does.

So just because we don't want our tap water to catch on fire we're utopian people?

ewensell3

Takes about 2-3 minutes to unload. Then another 5 minutes loading wheelchairs, and another 5 minutes loading everyone else because every other person waits until the last minute to fold up their strollers and everyone else needs to be "enthusiastically encouraged" several times to move all the way to the back of the bus.

The last time I looked into it, Florida mostly runs on oil with a big push to convert to natural gas.

Disney has their own power generation plant. Gas turbines which can run either on fuel oil or various gasses. They could run on used cooking oil if they so desired. The latter is no longer an option since the food service industry has learned to reuse cooking oil to the point where it becomes a solid gloop no longer fit as a fuel.

Slightly apropos, ORNL is working on a new battery chemistry. Maybe 10 years before they are a viable commercial product?

And to go completely off topic, how do you feel about Thorium reactors? Godsend or snake oil?

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Takes about 2-3 minutes to unload. Then another 5 minutes loading wheelchairs, and another 5 minutes loading everyone else because every other person waits until the last minute to fold up their strollers and everyone else needs to be "enthusiastically encouraged" several times to move all the way to the back of the bus.

The last time I looked into it, Florida mostly runs on oil with a big push to convert to natural gas.

Disney has their own power generation plant. Gas turbines which can run either on fuel oil or various gasses. They could run on used cooking oil if they so desired. The latter is no longer an option since the food service industry has learned to reuse cooking oil to the point where it becomes a solid gloop no longer fit as a fuel.

Slightly apropos, ORNL is working on a new battery chemistry. Maybe 10 years before they are a viable commercial product?

And to go completely off topic, how do you feel about Thorium reactors? Godsend or snake oil?

Unlike snake oil, Thorium reactors actually exist and work. Theoretically, it should bridge the gap between fossil fuels and renewables.

jwm

Here goes.

By upgrading the fleet of diesel powered buses to a hybrid powered articulated and / or bi-articulated TrolleyBus system would address many shortcomings of the present system. In addition, by pairing this system with PRT / GRT systems utilizing the same power supply, pathways and logistics would further develop a reliable transportation system.

Option 1) Utilizing a proven and existing “next-gen” fleet transportation drive system, the CNG powered diesel engine, there would be an immediate environmental impact as well as address the dependency on predominantly foreign sourced fuel products.
Option 2) Utilize a hybrid alternate system similar in executing to the system used in the Chevy Volt. Battery / motor mechanism for propulsion with the same CNG powered diesel engine to function as a generator to charge the electric propulsion system. Battery size then then be dictated by various requirements including range, NHV, economics, etc. By adding a catenary system for use in stations (not very efficient) and possibly throughout some areas of the resort would further reduce the individual vehicles dependence on fossil fuels. WDW does use GE LM2500 GT for some power generation but they also still purchase from the grid. It’s primary fuel source is fuel oil, not CNG although converting the combustors is very straight forward for these turbines.
Option 3) The future; fuel cells? Solar? What?

Bus sizes could vary between standard bus sizes of today with approx. 50-65 passenger capacity, an articulated TrolleyBus (single pivot point with capacity of approx. 90 passengers) and/or bi-articulated TrolleyBus (two pivot points with approx. capacity of 150).

If dedicated transit roads / paths / lanes were created throughout the Resort, the combination of upgraded mass transit system (TrolleyBus) combined with the more direct point-to-point small group / family transit offered by PRT / GRT, the WDW transit system would thrive for decades to come.

The TrolleyBus would become semi-autonomous (similar to the upcoming Monorail system) where the operator is an additional level of safety for onsite control (brakes, doors, etc.) the TrolleyBus would otherwise utilize the same navigational system as the fully autonomous PRT / GRT.

rael ramone

And add to that if the bus you want to get on has to wait behind an empty DD bus that's holding up at your stop because it has to recharge...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom