Disney to announce overhaul of DL Tomorrowland at D23?

D.Silentu

The financial success of the Minion movie was always a guarantee. Bright colors, excessive slapstick, gobbledygook speech, and familiar characters will catch kids attention over a dramatic sci-fi story. I haven't seen Lightyear and while it sounds like it's not among Pixar's greatest, I imagine that Minions isn't any better. It simply follows a proven formula where history has demonstrated prosperity.

EPCOT-O.G.

The financial success of the Minion movie was always a guarantee. Bright colors, excessive slapstick, gobbledygook speech, and familiar characters will catch kids attention over a dramatic sci-fi story. I haven't seen Lightyear and while it sounds like it's not among Pixar's greatest, I imagine that Minions isn't any better. It simply follows a proven formula where history has demonstrated prosperity.
Are you suggesting Pixar hasn’t exhibited a “proven formula where history has demonstrated prosperity”?

CaptinEO

The success of a Buzz Lightyear movie is about as close as a guarantee as I'd think. They just botched it by replacing the voice actor and adding social messaging.

Toy Story is way more established than Minions.

I'm not a parent so their messaging doesn't bother me, but it's great to see Disney trash talking their former customer base. The world isn't all like Southern California, despite their movies being made there.

Newtwo

The success of anything at the box office post covid was not a guarantee.

Disney is putting their political beliefs ahead of their desire for profit. And now it biting then in the .

EPCOT-O.G.

Disney is putting their political beliefs ahead of their desire for profit. And now it biting then in the ***.
if this film tops out at $200M worldwide (looking that way!) it’ll have cost the company roughly $200M loss (the budget was estimated to be $200M, plus another $100M in marketing). Meaning they spent $300M to get about $100M back (they split box office with theaters). Oh, and likely damaged the Toy Story brand in the process. But at least they owned the conservatives! Was it worth it?

Newtwo

if this film tops out at $200M worldwide (looking that way!) it’ll have cost the company roughly $200M loss (the budget was estimated to be $200M, plus another $100M in marketing). Meaning they spent $300M to get about $100M back (they split box office with theaters). Oh, and likely damaged the Toy Story brand in the process. But at least they owned the conservatives! Was it worth it?
Marketing budget is normally double the budget of making the actual film.

But at least Disney can slap it on Disney Plus.

el_super

Disney is putting their political beliefs ahead of their desire for profit. And now it biting then in the ***.

Really... Then why didn't it sink Dr Strange?

Really the problem with Lightyear was that Disney made a movie no one wanted to see.

Further, and what's ironic, is that Buzz as a character has been in the outs since Toy Story 3 most likely due to the political commentary of Tim Allen. Pixar not wanting to work with the guy because of his public politics probably played a bigger part in this movie getting made than anything else: they were trying to save the character from the negative association with Allen.

At this point though, people don't really care about Buzz and wouldn't mind if the character went away. The only people still counting themselves as fans of Buzz and Allen were turned away from the movie due to one scene.

It will probably still have a second life on Disney+ (I know I personally was going to wait to see it until then) and Disney will just keep doing Disney.

Newtwo

Really... Then why didn't it sink Dr Strange?

Really the problem with Lightyear was that Disney made a movie no one wanted to see.

Further, and what's ironic, is that Buzz as a character has been in the outs since Toy Story 3 most likely due to the political commentary of Tim Allen. Pixar not wanting to work with the guy because of his public politics probably played a bigger part in this movie getting made than anything else: they were trying to save the character from the negative association with Allen.

At this point though, people don't really care about Buzz and wouldn't mind if the character went away. The only people still counting themselves as fans of Buzz and Allen were turned away from the movie due to one scene.

It will probably still have a second life on Disney+ (I know I personally was going to wait to see it until then) and Disney will just keep doing Disney.
Doctor Strange is not a kids movie.

Newtwo

I don't see the inclusion of gay people in movies is seen as a threat to some people lol
It's stupid that people belive that, but to think that there's not a very measurable size of the population that now views Disney as indoctrinating their children is equally as stupid.

mickEblu

I’ve “seen” both. I think it’s a toss up. Although I probably only actually watched 20 minutes of Minions. I was just really enjoying the 1.5 hours of quiet time in the comfy new theatre watching the NBA trades/ rumors on my phone. I think this new theatre is still tinkering with their sound settings. Probably only actually watched 40 min of Lightyear. I saw Lightyear in Dolby and the first half of the movie the sound was very tinny and sounded like it was all coming from one speaker at the front/ middle section of the theatre. Saw Minions in IMAX and it was earth shattering loud. Jurassic World in Dolby had the best overall and balanced sound.

el_super

It's stupid that people belive that, but to think that there's not a very measurable size of the population that now views Disney as indoctrinating their children is equally as stupid.

Was Lightyear supposed to be for kids? Didn't really seem like it. Seems it was mostly for nostalgia.

Which just proves the point: it was a movie no one wanted to see. Nothing to do with politics.

D.Silentu

Are you suggesting Pixar hasn’t exhibited a “proven formula where history has demonstrated prosperity”?
I think that they take risks. Most of the time those risks pay off and the fact that their movies do so, while tending to be on the more mature side of kid's films, has built their reputation. If there is a Pixar formula it's on the studio side of things. Toy Story 5 would have been a guaranteed hit, but instead they put a twist on the concept with Lightyear to try something new.

D.Silentu

That's fair to say, so I'll amend my thought to the Minions movie spread a wider net with its light and bubbly kid appealing approach rather than the dramatic sci-fi tone Lightyear presented.

Last edited:

TwilightZone

The difference between Minons and Lightyear is like night and day.

Minions is a funny, lighthearted, comedy prequel to an already popular franchise. The setting (from what little I've seen) actually feels like it fits, the characters all fit from what audiences already know too. The premise is simple: Minions meet Gru, become friends with him, and have to save him.

Lightyear is a dark and serious prequel with some light comedy, it's based off the toy story franchise but with very little to actually tie it into toy story outside of its main character. The setting does not fit, neither with the Buzz Lightyear character or the supposed year (1995) the in-universe movie was made in. The characters do not fit from what audiences already know, plus the general premise of the film is a confusing mess. It's a movie, inside of a movie universe, that inspired a kid to get a toy astronaut.

TP2000

Doctor Strange is not a kids movie.

Thank you! Doctor Strange was rated PG-13 and it had lots of gore and violence and horror. It was aimed at teenage boys and young adult men who wanted a Marvel horror movie with violence and gore. Lightyear was rated PG and aimed at parents with children, and Lightyear failed miserably with that demographic.

Doctor-Strange-Zombie-in-Multiverse-of-Madness.jpeg

The Hollywood reporter sub-line on this Minion's Printing Money headline from today sums it up. Minions was a movie that American parents were very comfortable taking their kids to go see. 💰💰💰

As for the movie American parents were not comfortable taking their kids to go see, it's completely failed this third weekend out. (A holiday weekend, remember) Lightyear, or any mention of Lightyear, will not be coming to any Tomorrowland remake anywhere. It seems to have even damaged the Toy Story/Buzz Lightyear brand and I wonder how comfortable they'll be with mentioning Buzz again? Could Astro Blasters get a retheme to a new shooting game based on an upcoming Marvel character instead?

Friday July 1st box office.
Lightyear falling to 6th place and only making $539 per theater.
MinionsPrintingMoney.png

Last edited:

CaptinEO

The difference between Minons and Lightyear is like night and day.

Minions is a funny, lighthearted, comedy prequel to an already popular franchise. The setting (from what little I've seen) actually feels like it fits, the characters all fit from what audiences already know too. The premise is simple: Minions meet Gru, become friends with him, and have to save him.

Lightyear is a dark and serious prequel with some light comedy, it's based off the toy story franchise but with very little to actually tie it into toy story outside of its main character. The setting does not fit, neither with the Buzz Lightyear character or the supposed year (1995) the in-universe movie was made in. The characters do not fit from what audiences already know, plus the general premise of the film is a confusing mess. It's a movie, inside of a movie universe, that inspired a kid to get a toy astronaut.
And they already made a cool "in universe" Buzz Lightyear movie (with Tim Allen) that was a big enough hit to make a TV show.

It's no masterpiece but for my 10 year old self it was fun and entertaining, like a scifi comic show. It was the 4th of July, my street had a big block party I was looking forward to and I had a fever and could not go. My parents rented me this and I was thoroughly entertained while the rest of my family and friends were outside celebrating.

Team_Lightyear_flying_in_space.png

Now is Disney direct to video great? No, but they in this case understood the character. Buzz Lightyear is supposed to be a cool classic style scifi/comic character.

This movie and TV series is also mysteriously absent from Disney Plus, probably because Disney wants to pretend this new movie is the first "in universe" buzz lightyear.

Now modern Disney took the idea of a sci-fi character and somehow could only talk about lesbian kissing and why this buzz needs to have a voice no one wants. Great marketing. What family wants to see this?

Last edited:

TwilightZone

And they already made a cool "in universe" Buzz Lightyear movie (with Tim Allen) that was a big enough hit to make a TV show.

It's no masterpiece but for my 10 year old self it was fun and entertaining, like a scifi comic show. It was the 4th of July, my street had a big block party I was looking forward to and I had a fever and could not go. My parents rented me this and I was thoroughly entertained while the rest of my family and friends were outside celebrating.

Team_Lightyear_flying_in_space.png

Now is Disney direct to video great? No, but they in this case understood the character. Buzz Lightyear is supposed to be a cool classic style scifi/comic character.

This movie and TV series is also mysteriously absent from Disney Plus, probably because Disney wants to pretend this new movie is the first "in universe" buzz lightyear.

Now modern Disney took the idea of a sci-fi character and somehow could only talk about lesbian kissing and why this buzz needs to have a voice no one wants. Great marketing. What family wants to see this?
I was also a big fan of this show, which is why I am particularly harsh on the movie. There was already a perfect prequel.

Now of course, not sure how true it is, but Pixar hated this show cause they didn't make it (only contribution being the theme song, which they were forced to do). Thus why it is not on Disney+. Lot of corporate politic stuff that is believable.

Whether the rumors are true or not, if Pixar wanted this to be the definitive Buzz prequel over Disney's TV series, they really needed to hit it out of the gate and top what that series did...and they didn't.

It's similar to how Web Slingers is not the definitive Spiderman ride nor will it ever be.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom