Disney Theme Park Computer Game

RSoxNo1

Original Poster
One of my favorite computer games is Roller Coaster Tycoon 3. The folks at Atari have done a very good job with this brand, especially without any deal with an amusement park for theme ideas.

That brings me to my proposal: I have seen a kiddy version of a Disney Theme Park game, but based off of the back cover, it didn't seem that advanced. I can only imagine a game where Disney provided users with every attraction in every theme park past and present.

Perhaps enabling a mixing and matching feature of some old and new attributes in dark rides or allowing fans to rework parks in our own vision.

tirian

One of my favorite computer games is "Disney Coaster," a roller-coaster simulator that's basically the WDI "Ultimate Coaster" game in a Disney park. The program lets you add elements from the various parks around the world, building coasters that snake around everything from Cinderella Castle to SSE to the DLP hotel. In addition to building in various locations (Main Street USA to a plain field), you can assign special effects, sounds, music, etc.

Despite the Disney park theme, the game doesn't seem to be targeted to young kids. As the coaster designer, you still have to pay attention to speed, G forces, and the ride's storyline (if you choose to have one).

I love this game for its sheer simulator experience. No, it's not the same as riding Body Wars or Star Tours; but if you've ever been on a real coaster, you can imagine how you'd feel on your own creation.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
tirian said:
The program lets you add elements from the various parks around the world, building coasters that snake around everything from Cinderella Castle to SSE to the DLP hotel...........
so this is were 'somebody' got the brilliant idea of throwing a coaster in SSE and heving it exit the structure. nice!

Steamboat_Kevin

When I was at Epcot, a Disney surveyor came up to me and asked me which logo I liked for a game called "Virtual Magic Kingdom".
Sounds really cool! :)

RSoxNo1

Original Poster
Someone mentioned in the rumors forum talk of a virtual Magic Kingdom online. Perhaps that's what you heard about.

animay

WDW Magical Racing is a fantastic game. It's one of the few games my girlfriend loves to play :) You can really tell the creators did some research in making it. The Haunted Mansion level is practically the entire ride track!

There really haven't been enough theme park based games. Aside from the racing game and the previously mentioned coaster simulator (I'm not counting the WDW Explorer CD-ROM since it's not really a 'game') the only other one I know of being released was Adventures in the Magic Kingdom for the original Nintendo. That one had a map of the park you could walk around and go on different rides. It was simple, but very cute.

There are a couple of Tokyo Disneyland games, I've played one for each park, but those never got released outside of Japan.

I love the idea of a roller coaster tycoon type of game for a Disney theme park. That would be an instant purchase for me. Maybe they could work together on something someday.

TheOneVader

I'd love to see a Disney theme park simulator. It could have roller coasters and that, but also EMVs, omni-movers, centrifuges. Also, it would have lots of scenery for the rides and stuff.

tirian

Not to sound silly, but I think that a Disney Park Tycoon would slightly destroy the magic of visiting the parks. Most people would think, "Why go there when you could build a virtual park to your specifications and include Disney theming throughout it?"

RSoxNo1

Original Poster
Call me old fashioned, but I don't think my laptop can fully encapsolate an entire theme park experience to worry about cannibalism of Disney parks. (translation - this wouldn't hurt the disney parks at all)

tirian

Call me old fashioned, but I don't think my laptop can fully encapsolate an entire theme park experience to worry about cannibalism of Disney parks. (translation - this wouldn't hurt the disney parks at all)

Of course not; people will still go there. I'm just suggesting that a moderate Disney fan who sees the Disney parks all the time on his computer may not be quite as enthralled in the real parks as someone who doesn't.

T-1MILLION

I would love to see a well done Disney park sim! As long as it was done with great themeing and quality, I would buy it in a second. :slurp:

Brooke

RSoxNo1 said:
The folks at Atari have done a very good job with this brand, especially without any deal with an amusement park for theme ideas.

They must have had some kind of deal with Six Flags because there was Six Flags themeing and roller coasters in Roller Coaster Tycoon 2.

I LOVE Roller Coaster Tycoon. The only thing that is dissapointing about the game is that you can't really make indoor dark rides. If they ever make a Roller Coaster Tycoon 4 that's what I would like to see! Especially if they had Disney themeing!

DigitalDisney

For a long time, I've been dreaming about creating some kind of WDW game or experience.

I started work on a virtual WDW program, but it quickly became too complex. I am always thinking about ways to get this thing done

My current project is a WDW-themed nibbles/snake game. Previously, I had done a lot of work, but I let the project sit while I worked on other things. Recently, I have picked it back up. So far, I have only worked on a simple 20K level, but I have grand ideas for this one. I have over 20 levels / themes planned. Hopefully I can get this one rolling.

I have also considered writing a screensaver which goes on a 3D tour of some locations in WDW. It wouldn't be interactive, but it should look pretty nice.

EpcoTim

tirian said:
Not to sound silly, but I think that a Disney Park Tycoon would slightly destroy the magic of visiting the parks. Most people would think, "Why go there when you could build a virtual park to your specifications and include Disney theming throughout it?"
Actually, it would make me want to go more.

RSoxNo1

Original Poster
Brooke said:
They must have had some kind of deal with Six Flags because there was Six Flags themeing and roller coasters in Roller Coaster Tycoon 2.

I LOVE Roller Coaster Tycoon. The only thing that is dissapointing about the game is that you can't really make indoor dark rides. If they ever make a Roller Coaster Tycoon 4 that's what I would like to see! Especially if they had Disney themeing!

I think Atari made things just different enough from other theme parks to get away with them. They have ride events like a shark attack, and a t-rex attack that simulate rides from Universal Studios. They also have Disney based ride events such as one that's virtually identical to catostrophe canyon (I believe they call it Danger Canyon) and a temple boulder one that's similar to Indiana Jones. Other explosions can be added to rides, and I've created an Indiana Jones ride (with their monster truck track), a Jaws Ride (with swan boats), a Mummy Returns roller coaster, and Rock 'n Roller Coaster. If you had the patience, a tower of tower clone could be constructed (at least the external view and the elevator shaft).

As for dark roller coasters/rides, RCT3 has night and day features, when it's daylight - everything is illuminated regardless of whether it's indoors. When it's night, the interior of buildings that were intended to be dark look much better. Try riding your rides at night.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom