Disney Theatrical Eyeing Muppets On Stage - Would LOVE this in DHS

Cmdr_Crimson

Why have I never seen this????????

Because This...
tumblr_lxdv8vM2ua1qb3mmfo1_500.jpg

Eventually Became This....
7477669.jpg

It Lasted for almost a year from 1990-1991. After they left they did a show on the Streets of America called "Muppets on Location: Days of Swine & Roses and lasted about 3 years from 92-94..
500px-ON_LOCATION_promot_shot.JPG

articos

In Avenue Q the puppeteers were visible on stage the whole time. That would not fly with The Muppets.

It's pretty difficult to orient the Muppets for a live show but I will absolutely see this if it comes to Broadway.

I'd also be interested in replacing MuppetVision with an Audio-animatronics based Muppets show...

Henson has a whole group of puppeteers in LA who banded together and took some of the "lesser known" Henson puppets (ones seen in backgrounds or shows that aren't Sesame or the Muppets) and they started something called Henson Alternative. The popular HA shows started as just the puppeteers screwing around and putting on shows for themselves and their friends and family, and they were reeeeeeally raunchy. The shows got refined into a touring audience participation improv show that's live called "PuppetUp!" that pretty much takes the Avenue Q format - you see the puppeteers, but it's all improv on the spot, and it's adults only. They do a great job of giving the puppets distinct personalities, but still being hilariously self aware they are puppets with a hand up their... They turned it into a short lived tv project for a while, but it's best live. So...they can do it, but you're right, it would not fly with the Muppets because of who they are. That said, there is an easy way of building the set up so the puppeteers have spaces to work, and the audience doesn't see them for a Muppet type show. As to AA Muppets, Henson management will not go along with that. They're puppets, and they want to make sure the iconic ones stay puppets.

From what I remember correctly, DTP only does shows for Broadway and touring.

Yup. Theatrical is based on the studio lot and is primarily a vehicle for Broadway, touring and the ships. The theme parks generally develop their shows in-house, with a much lower budget. I've always said the Theatrical guys should take over some of the shows in the parks, but that involves the parks paying for it, which is never going to happen. It also creates a major differentiation of caliber between what would then be very high-quality broadway shows that the parks don't make extra money off of but are still running, sometimes potentially to nearly empty houses, and the rest of the shows in the parks which might look worse because of that. The parks do test some show ideas for Theatrical if they want to try something to see if it may work for live stage, but it's not produced by Theatrical like a Broadway show.

Cmdr_Crimson

That said, there is an easy way of building the set up so the puppeteers have spaces to work, and the audience doesn't see them for a Muppet type show. As to AA Muppets, Henson management will not go along with that. They're puppets, and they want to make sure the iconic ones stay puppets.
Yup. Theatrical is based on the studio lot and is primarily a vehicle for Broadway, touring and the ships. The theme parks generally develop their shows in-house, with a much lower budget. I've always said the Theatrical guys should take over some of the shows in the parks, but that involves the parks paying for it, which is never going to happen. It also creates a major differentiation of caliber between what would then be very high-quality broadway shows that the parks don't make extra money off of but are still running, sometimes potentially to nearly empty houses, and the rest of the shows in the parks which might look worse because of that. The parks do test some show ideas for Theatrical if they want to try something to see if it may work for live stage, but it's not produced by Theatrical like a Broadway show.

Well, Disney did do it before...Remember Legend of The Lion King where Philharmagic stands now..

Ignohippo

Well, they can always get Vee Corporation again to bring the characters back...
mop830274LARGE.jpg

And this one was from a Live Tour (Ala Sesame Street Live) from the 80's
Corbis-0000223617-018.jpg

Also The Muppets had a show on the Disney Cruise line called Muppets Ahoy! But with the Puppets..
Muppets_Ahoy_Cast.JPG

No. No. And No.

Puppets or don't do it at all.

Ignohippo

I still want to see Muppetvision changed over to a true Muppet Show (filmed, and in 3d). It would be as though you're actually going to see a taping of the Muppet Show.

Sections of the show could swap out, a la Star Tours, so the show would always be different.

For traditionalists, Muppetvision 3d could still be shown for a couple of hours each day. It would only be a matter of swapping out the films.

lebeau

Uh, but the Muppets already have their own theater in DHS, which is sparsely attended. Why would TDO put more of what most park guests have made clear they don't really want? Plus, it's rumored that Disneyland will be doing away with their Muppet theater altogether, to put in a Monstropolis attraction. So I doubt there will be any expansion of the Muppets in the parks. Star Wars is much more likely IMO (although I'm not too crazy about that idea either). Just sayin'.

Yeah, clearly people hate the Muppets. It's not that it's a 3-D movie that has been running since 1991.

I can't imagine why it isn't packing them in 22 years later. Must be cause people hate the Muppets. That's got to be it. Only answer really.

Calvin Coolidge

Henson has a whole group of puppeteers in LA who banded together and took some of the "lesser known" Henson puppets (ones seen in backgrounds or shows that aren't Sesame or the Muppets) and they started something called Henson Alternative. The popular HA shows started as just the puppeteers screwing around and putting on shows for themselves and their friends and family, and they were reeeeeeally raunchy. The shows got refined into a touring audience participation improv show that's live called "PuppetUp!" that pretty much takes the Avenue Q format - you see the puppeteers, but it's all improv on the spot, and it's adults only. They do a great job of giving the puppets distinct personalities, but still being hilariously self aware they are puppets with a hand up their... They turned it into a short lived tv project for a while, but it's best live. So...they can do it, but you're right, it would not fly with the Muppets because of who they are. That said, there is an easy way of building the set up so the puppeteers have spaces to work, and the audience doesn't see them for a Muppet type show. As to AA Muppets, Henson management will not go along with that. They're puppets, and they want to make sure the iconic ones stay puppets.

Right. I just worry that a set that allows for the puppeteers to go unseen from many angles would be fairly limiting and the scope of the show would be less than ideal. That being said, I'm still 100% pro-Muppets on Broadway if the can get it to work.

(I also worry they're going to have pre-recorded dialogue tracks and vocals for the songs, which would be awful).

And aren't Statler and Waldorf at Muppet*Vision AA?

Prince-1

Yeah, clearly people hate the Muppets. It's not that it's a 3-D movie that has been running since 1991.

I can't imagine why it isn't packing them in 22 years later. Must be cause people hate the Muppets. That's got to be it. Only answer really.

And don't forget that since people hate the Muppets so much they are making a sequel to their successful movie. Stupid Muppets..and stupid logic.

Turtle

Uh, but the Muppets already have their own theater in DHS, which is sparsely attended. Why would TDO put more of what most park guests have made clear they don't really want? Plus, it's rumored that Disneyland will be doing away with their Muppet theater altogether, to put in a Monstropolis attraction. So I doubt there will be any expansion of the Muppets in the parks. Star Wars is much more likely IMO (although I'm not too crazy about that idea either). Just sayin'.
Muppet-Vision still gets lots of attendance

articos

Right. I just worry that a set that allows for the puppeteers to go unseen from many angles would be fairly limiting and the scope of the show would be less than ideal. That being said, I'm still 100% pro-Muppets on Broadway if the can get it to work.

(I also worry they're going to have pre-recorded dialogue tracks and vocals for the songs, which would be awful).

And aren't Statler and Waldorf at Muppet*Vision AA?

They are, as is Swedish Chef, but they are an exception. If Disney proposed doing the entire thing as AA, Lisa and Brian would have a problem with that. And the audience would be able to tell. I wouldn't be as worried about the set - it can be done. I agree with you on the tracks and the songs - I'd be more concerned with making sure it's written well. :)

kpilcher

Articos -- I've always appreciated your input and knowledge. But Disney owns the classic Muppets now. Lisa and Brian sold off everything but Fraggle Rock, Labyrinth, Dark Crystal, & The Storyteller. (there may be one or two others I'm forgetting). How do they have any say anymore about how Disney uses them?? AA or whatever else. Also, I recall an interview with Jim shortly before his death where he thought Muppets were PERFECT for AA.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom