Disney Stores offically sold?

wdwmaniac

Original Poster
The company also raised its outlook, saying it expected earnings from continuing operations to rise 50 percent or more this year from the 65 cents a share reported last year. That would exclude the sale of the Disney Stores chain, it added. Previously it had seen a rise of more than 40 percent.

from cnnmoney's report.

Mia's Daddy

I saw that same article, and it kinda makes no sense. Maybe they are assuming the stores are going to be sold. The Vice President of the stores is coming to visit my wife's store 5/21, hopefully she will let them know what is going on with the stores. All my wife has heard is that it is good news. We shall see........:D

Bill

Account Suspended
I can hear it now...

"Ladies & Gentleman, I have good news!"

"This Disney Store isn't closing?"

"No, I just saved a bunch of money on my car insurance by switching to Geico. Wal-Mart is buying out the stores."

"Crap."

BRER STITCH

Originally posted by catinthehat
So weird. Are the stores THAT unprofitable?

No. Not at all.

They just didn't count expenses or earnings from the stores in the article numbers. The focus, apparently, was not on retail operations.

Woody13

Originally posted by BRER STITCH
No. Not at all.

They just didn't count expenses or earnings from the stores in the article numbers. The focus, apparently, was not on retail operations.

The Disney Stores have a long history of losing money hand over (Mickey) fist!:eek:

dixiegirl

especially when stores like walmart, target and such selling disney articles like clothing , toys etc. things that you were once able to find only at the disney stores and disney world it self, granted the quality isnt the same as the disney store or the" world" but its till selling all over, its sad but true.

BRER STITCH

Originally posted by Woody13
The Disney Stores have a long history of losing money hand over (Mickey) fist!:eek:

Once again you missed the most important part of the post: THE CONTEXT of the quote!

The fact that the DS division has lost money in the past is not the REASON for their profit/loss to be excluded from the earnings estimate.

Ignoring them does not make them go away. It's an accounting practice to make the quarterly profit appear larger than it really is. They were not left out because they are unprofitable.

:brick:

One of Roy Disney's comments regarding the quarterly earnings report included this paragraph that might help explain the tricks used in the reporting to make it appear more favorable:

"The company's earnings guidance is quite confusing - 90-days ago management referred to an increase in "earnings", then on February 11th, the guidance changed to "earnings from continuing operations". Now they refer to "earnings, excluding the potential impact from items like the sale of the Disney Stores". What's happening here? Why does the Board allow management to continue such confusing and potentially misleading practices? Surely a Board committed to best governance practices would act more responsibly."

TheDisneyGirl02

Originally posted by Woody13

Obviously you have never been to my store! Yes, sometimes we fall short, but overall, we do VERY well for a DS. I pride myself in my store and I know our frequent guests love it.

Everybody loves a good deal...so that's why I'm sure people buy Disney products at other stores besides TDS...I myself am included. If I see something Disney at another store and I like it enough and it's a good price, I'll buy it. But at the same time, when TDS has a sale, people come from ALL over to get the good quality merchandise that the stores offer.

But oh well...to each his own... :rolleyes:

TheDisneyGirl02

Woody13

Plain fact of the matter is that The Disney Stores are too small. They don't have the room needed to stock all the great Disney products, nor do they have the volume needed to provide discounts.

I bought 2 copies each (8 total) today of the new Walt Disney Treasure series. I bought them at Sam's Club for less than $21.00 each! The Disney Store can't touch that price!

Mia's Daddy

Well good for you Woody:D
I know you are not bashing the stores AGAIN. Go play somwhere else now.....go on.....that's a good boy. There you go.:wave:

TheDisneyGirl02

I will admit that I don't always buy my Disney DVD's at the Disney Store because I do look for a better deal. BUT when it comes to other merchandise, other stores really don't cut it.

I know my store has an extremely full backstage of most of the wonderful product we carry onstage. Do we run out of sizes? Yes of course we do. Do we run out of product? Yes, we do. That's makes us profitable.

That's my personal opinion though.

TheDisneyGirl02 :rolleyes:

Woody13

It's just a shame because, about three or four years ago, The Disney Store did provide the lowest price on Disney DVD's and other Disney merchandise. Wal-Mart, K-Mart, Target, etc. all sold the Disney DVD's at list price and they never discounted them. It was a far better deal to buy the DVD's at The Disney Store and use The Disney Club discount card. So, when The Disney Store offered good discounts, I was more than happy to shop there.

Disney had some sort of contractual restriction that prevented other retailers from discounting Disney DVD's. During the last two years that deal has obviously changed. I shop for price. I have never, for example, purchased a Disney DVD at WDW because they are way too expensive. Also, I seldom purchase items from The Disney Store or The Disney Outlet because of the higher prices they charge and, of course, The Disney Club is now history.:cry:

prberk

The Disney Stores should carry the nicer, more upscale items like watches, that they used to carry. They should also be a place, unlike a mass marketer, where you might pay a slight premium to KNOW that you will find the Disney films, records, books, and merchandise that you want.

The stores always do better, I think, when they are niche marketers (boutiques) that are thus differentiated from Wal-Mart and other mass marketers. At the big chains, you cannot always KNOW that you will find certain Disney products (such as the Treasures, or classy adult Mickey shirts) ; but you SHOULD be able to know that at the Disney Store. That is the difference, when they are merchandised well, in my opinion.

And don't forget the uncountable value of the constant "ad" that just walking past or visiting the Disney Store is, as an advertisement or reminder for Walt Disney World or Disneyland.....

TheDisneyGirl02

Originally posted by prberk
The Disney Stores should carry the nicer, more upscale items like watches, that they used to carry. They should also be a place, unlike a mass marketer, where you might pay a slight premium to KNOW that you will find the Disney films, records, books, and merchandise that you want.

The stores always do better, I think, when they are niche marketers (boutiques) that are thus differentiated from Wal-Mart and other mass marketers. At the big chains, you cannot always KNOW that you will find certain Disney products (such as the Treasures, or classy adult Mickey shirts) ; but you SHOULD be able to know that at the Disney Store. That is the difference, when they are merchandised well, in my opinion.

And don't forget the uncountable value of the constant "ad" that just walking past or visiting the Disney Store is, as an advertisement or reminder for Walt Disney World or Disneyland.....

I always tell the guests what come into my store to write to the company. I want the watches back, I want the Classic Pieces back, I was the clothing lines that we used to carry back, men's ties and the list goes on and on. Write to them and tell them that you aren't happy with what's being sold. I want the stores to be the way they used to be too...:(

TheDisneyGirl02

prberk

Originally posted by TheDisneyGirl02
I always tell the guests what come into my store to write to the company. I want the watches back, I want the Classic Pieces back, I was the clothing lines that we used to carry back, men's ties and the list goes on and on. Write to them and tell them that you aren't happy with what's being sold. I want the stores to be the way they used to be too...:(

TheDisneyGirl02

You know, I forgot about the men's ties. I still have one, a yellow one with small Mickeys. It is a great business tie. Needs to be sold at the stores.

TheDisneyGirl02

Originally posted by prberk
You know, I forgot about the men's ties. I still have one, a yellow one with small Mickeys. It is a great business tie. Needs to be sold at the stores.
I miss selling the ties too. They do make great business ties...even though I'm a female and don't wear them, but I've seen many guys wearing them.

BTW, what is up with the I Hate Bambi post? :veryconfu

TheDisneyGirl02

Mia's Daddy

I miss the old Disney Store costumes. You know the navy and neon blue sweaters, and the shirts with those weird shapes on them. Oh and the khaki pants. Ahh the days.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom