Disney Springs testing new no-stop security scanner for new entry screening when the parks reopen

nickys

Premium Member
I wonder if they would use these to keep the monorail in a security bubble? They could also have them at Skyliner stations too.

This would be a huge investment but could solve the problems with security checks and lines.

techgeek

Does this mean security checks are going to become a fixture at Springs in the future and that they intend to create a permanent secure zone there? I was under the impression the current ‘checks’ were just temp screening.

beertiki

I too hated the bag checks. Too many times I watched security open my eyeglass case, unfold a poncho, and look in my wife's wallet. Any knife that could fit in those items would be real small, and by holding the poncho you could tell it was too light to hold a gun. Any criminal who wants to bring a weapon to WDW is bringing it in a baby stroller or ECV, because they don't search them. It was security theater at its worst. I once joked that the easiest way to bring a gun in, would be inside a popcorn bucket.

At least now, they will have something that works, and it will catch all the "I carry all the time" types who need to bring a gun to a theme park to feel safer.

nickys

Premium Member
Does this mean security checks are going to become a fixture at Springs in the future and that they intend to create a permanent secure zone there? I was under the impression the current ‘checks’ were just temp screening.

It’s the perfect place to trIal it before the parks open.

Plus by trialling it somewhere where it isn’t necessarily essential to be secure, they don't have to do the regular checks at the same time.

BrianLo

This is a positive decision if they carry through. Hong Kong Airport has also been screening temperature remotely through corridors for a decade now.

Would be nice if somehow screening became more comprehensive, less intrusive and faster because of this.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

Just a quibble.

The 3,600 people/hour is for the scanner (for weapons). The add-on temperature module slows it down to 800-1,300 people/hour.

1592074872116.png

And, they have an option to add facial recognition. That would be great for CMs since the system would recognize them. It could even be used in place of a tapstile if people agree to be photo I.D.'d. No need to show IDs. It could also be used to spot people who are trespassed.

Imagine just walking into a park past one of these and it knows who you are, that you have the right ticket, and you're scanned. No stopping for anything.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I wonder if this includes no pocket knives ? {I mean like small things like my dads swiss army knife}

Possibly. The AI will 'see' a cylindrical mass of metal in your pocket. If it's over 3 inches long (for example), it might flag you for a closer look. The guard will ask you to empty the pocket that the AI thinks has a pocket knife. Then the guard will determine if it's OK or not.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom