'Disney Springs' - Downtown Disney expansion officially announced

djkidkaz

So is this the project that Kathy Mangum was brought here to oversee? Or do we think her purpose is still for Carsland in WDW?

Genie of the Lamp

So is this the project that Kathy Mangum was brought here to oversee? Or do we think her purpose is still for Carsland in WDW?

Both for me. Some version of Carsland will come and she will be the lead/overseer for that project just like this one here. So yes, she was brought here for this project and Carsland keeping in mind any other future projects that come up.

SirLink

5/7 and 14/21 days? Probably b/c the average American guest doesn't spend that many days at their Disney vacation.

What I'm saying is to have "premium" tickets and "ultimate" tickets structure, don't look at the days but the structure/content that comes with it whether it be the inclusion of water parks admission

TP2000

Here's a link and vid done by the Orlando Biz Journal talking with Kathy Mangum about the design of Disney Springs:
http://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/blog/2013/03/disney-imagineer-kathy-mangum-dishes.html

Thank you, AGAIN! Your links to these Orlando Biz Journal interviews with Staggs and Mangum shed light and answer all the questions most of us have.

Kathy Mangum is great. She was the lead Imagineer on Cars Land, and her media interviews on Cars Land from 2009 to 2012 were just like this one for Disney Springs; natural, genuine, believable, and as un-corporate as possible. She's a typical California girl, and seems like just a very nice person. I'm glad WDW is finally getting a chance to get to know Kathy Mangum. Interesting to hear there's a bigger and more intricate model of Disney Springs in California at Imagineering headquarters; I hope we get to see pictures of it sometime!

But if she's taking the Imagineering lead on Disney Springs.... who is taking the lead on Cars Land for Hollywood Studios? :confused:

Genie of the Lamp

Thank you, AGAIN! Your links to these Orlando Biz Journal interviews with Staggs and Mangum shed light and answer all the questions most of us have.

Kathy Mangum is great. She was the lead Imagineer on Cars Land, and her media interviews on Cars Land from 2009 to 2012 were just like this one for Disney Springs; natural, genuine, believable, and as un-corporate as possible. She's a typical California girl, and seems like just a very nice person. I'm glad WDW is finally getting a chance to get to know Kathy Mangum. Interesting to hear there's a bigger and more intricate model of Disney Springs in California at Imagineering headquarters; I hope we get to see pictures of it sometime!

But if she's taking the Imagineering lead on Disney Springs.... who is taking the lead on Cars Land for Hollywood Studios? :confused:

Your Welcome.:) Just hear to contribute. I've always like Mangum esp. hearing her interviews on the Disney Parks documentary vids, but it's good to know/hear of her good works from you. If this project and Carsland are being done/constructed at the same time, I'd imagine Jacobsen would take the lead on this project with Mangum supervising/overseeing this project in addition to her leading AND overseeing Disney Springs.

djlaosc

What I'm saying is to have "premium" tickets and "ultimate" tickets structure, don't look at the days but the structure/content that comes with it whether it be the inclusion of water parks admission

UK Tickets (I don't know how much it would cost to "build" these tickets from the MYW options...

5/7 Days Premium 2014: (I think) - 5 days unknown price, 7 days £278/$400
5/7 days unlimited entry
  • Magic Kingdom
  • Epcot
  • Disney's Hollywood Studios
  • Disney's Animal Kingdom
5/7 entries to
  • Typhoon Lagoon
  • Blizzard Beach
  • DisneyQuest
ESPN WWOS - access valid only on event days, some events priced separately
Disney's Oak Trail Golf Course - green fees only; subject to availability
Disney's Miniature Golf - 1 round per day before 4pm
30mins play time at PlayStation® Pavilion per day
Park Hopping Included

14/21 Days Premium 2014: 14 days £278/$400, 21 days £305/$439.20
14/21 days unlimited entry
  • Magic Kingdom
  • Epcot
  • Disney's Hollywood Studios
  • Disney's Animal Kingdom
  • Typhoon Lagoon
  • Blizzard Beach
  • DisneyQuest
ESPN WWOS - access valid only on event days, some events priced separately
Disney's Oak Trail Golf Course - green fees only; subject to availability
Disney's Miniature Golf - 1 round per day before 4pm
30mins play time at PlayStation® Pavilion per day
Park Hopping Included

SirLink

UK Tickets (I don't know how much it would cost to "build" these tickets from the MYW options...

Exactly, that my friend :)

They are pretty great for us especially when they are on offer...just Disney should experiment with what people get with the tickets and an easier structure that encourages both park and recreation use...

dreamscometrue

There are loads of places on property that create family experiences, they also need over 21+ only experiences as well...

Not sure if this was posted earlier, but Staggs reply on the Disney parks Blog to the question "Anything for the 21+ crowd?", was:

"Yes, Disney Springs will include some new nighttime entertainment geared toward adults. Stay tuned for more details on this in the future."

SirLink

Not sure if this was posted earlier, but Staggs reply on the Disney parks Blog to the question "Anything for the 21+ crowd?", was:

"Yes, Disney Springs will include some new nighttime entertainment geared toward adults. Stay tuned for more details on this in the future."

Yeah I saw that - I just hope it will be 21+ only, and get the over 21+ to dress up a little bit from a vest and shorts.

John

Streamlined? I would say good grammar and spelling is streamlined but you don't see me going around correcting people on that because it's rude to tell somebody how to express themselves, especially in public.

Do you not think this is something that would have been better to have inboxed me about? I'll be sure to send you all my complaints about people atrocious spelling, grammar, and layout from now on since that's apparently "how" people do things appropriately.

Guilty as charged.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
My wife bought me one of those to wear in Europe because Rick Steves convinced her that I'd be pickpocketed by roving bands of marauders if I didn't. When I saw the thing, I told her I'd rather be pickpocketed and refused to wear it.

As someone who lives in central Indiana, I can't imagine wearing it here. That would definitely destroy your street cred. You've got some cojones.

I didn't know anyone actually watched Rick Steves. I've been entertained because really early in the morning there is this show that talks about great nudie, drunken bacchanals and then it is followed by Rick Steves Europe. I did take crap for wearing that, but the greater comfort was worth it.

There are a lot of polls that could be made about Disney Springs in General Discussion. Lots of varied opinions on lots of different aspects. I hope they keep the super pretty, tons of lights at night idea from Hyperion Wharf.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
I think the PI-like area isn't viable any more. I think the days of closed off adult only sections are over.

While Disney obviously isn't concerned about the demographic, I think there is a demand for adult only venues (not admission gated areas) after a certain time of night.

Disney really needs to go upscale though. Church Street and Uni have their demographic. Disney should look into gastro pubs, tap rooms, and wine bars that are open until a reasonable hour to the general public then are closed off to the under 21 crowd.

Having been a CM, I can understand Disney not wanting to cater to that crowd. We were cheap.

Would love this. I put a wine rack in our basement first thing when we moved. A wine bar would have a very good chance of parting me from some of my greenback friends.

Funmeister

Did you know you're 100% wrong?

Sorry, it has everything to do with the 9/11 attacks. Tourism stopped in this country immediately. Pop didnt open until 2004 and even THAT almost didnt happen.

I would direct you to this thread here -> http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/pop-century-resort-postponed.2635/

EDIT-> look at Steve's post here: http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/pop-century-resort-postponed.2635/#post-31630

Not trying to win a battle or even start one...but...I can tell you I am NOT 100% wrong. It's ok if you do not agree with me but I do know for a fact that I am not 100% wrong...or 99% wrong...or even 98% wrong. I never said that 9/11 didn't have anything to do with it. BTW I do not know you nor do I have a personal responsibility to divulge any person or specific information. For all I know...YOU could be....>gulp<....100% wrong. Remember every story has two sides! (Except Pinnochio because let's admit it once you turn into a real boy there is no going back!)

Did you know that there was a time that the company would send housekeepers to different resorts to clean rooms after they finished the rooms at their home base resort? For instance once Cast Members were finished cleaning rooms at the All-Star they were then transported to the Contemporary to clean rooms there. Oh that's right...this also happened before, during and after 9/11. They have not had enough staff FOR YEARS!!!

It's ok if you do not agree with me but I personally have first-hand knowledge regarding this development. Once again...believe what you want...just don't get butt-hurt over it.

9/11 did have a huge role in a lot of things that happened, even with the opening of Pop Century.

Believe it or not...Disney has used 9/11 a lot more than most people think as an excuse for many things.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
You know what that tells me? That there is a starving market for more adult experiences within the resort. Raglan might be one of your favorites but it's a yawn to most people I've spoken too. It's a complete yawn to me. Those lines out the door mean that shocker(!!) there is a market for Disney to explore outside of pre-schoolers within the average family. The "popularity" of such a boring venue should be a message loud and clear of what needs there are.

I'm sorry, but you are just wrong on this one. Raglan is very popular and is not a yawn to most people. It's my favorite place in DTD. You and your friends may not like it, but that doesn't mean most people don't. Not everyone likes Irish music and dancing just like not everyone likes rock or country or club music that's why they need to have more variety and more places in that mold. If they open 5 more bar/restaurants with different themes Raglan will still draw a crowd.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom