• No thanks. I don't visit. It's just another mall...I have those at home

Votes: 37 18.9%
  • What's Disney Springs

Votes: 1 0.5%

• Total voters

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Original Poster
I voted just a mall but would have voted for a choice like " I visit the Marketplace but not the rest of Disney Springs " Usually hit the Marketplace area on our Animal Kingdom day since the park closes earlier . When Pleasure Island was still around was at Downtown Disney nightly for the Comedy Warehouse and Adventures Club
It’s your vote, but if you usually hit the marketplace on an AK day (which I also usually do) then you probably fall into the must do or I might stop in or I might not categories. When I said Disney Springs I meant any of the areas, not just the Town Center Shopping mall area. I did walk around to see the new areas, but I don’t plan to return a whole lot to the shopping part. I did like the new Landing area even though it’s kinda sad to try to picture where all the PI clubs were.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Original Poster
As a foreigner, Disney Springs is great. It’s gives us the chance to visit American stores without having to drive off property and out in to the unknown. Whilst it may not be exciting to Americans as you have these stores in your home towns, us lot from out of the US do not have this so makes it much more enjoyable. Lots of people don’t think of this when calling it a waste of space. Though to be honest it doesn’t have the greatest range, we still make the trip out to the Florida Mall but World of Disney and Goofy’s Candy Co. is always worth a visit.
Foreign guests are a big reason for building the shopping section. I think I read somewhere that about 20% of WDW visitors come from outside the U.S. so it’s not an insignificant demographic group. They are also targeting locals. The garages were pretty full when I was there and I’m sure it wasn’t all tourists staying off property and driving in.

graphite1326

Since the layoff thread got sidetracked with a lot of debate on the merits of Disney Springs I added this thread to continue the discussion. Feel free to talk about anything related to Disney Springs. I would have added an "I miss Pleasure Island" choice for the poll but I'm sure it would have gotten nearly 100% of the votes.
Pleasure Island would have gotten my vote.

Rumrunner

Probably should have voted for “What’s Disney Springs” in the poll if you’ve never been there;)
Actually I have read and researched Disney Springs-the shops the eating places etc-saw very little that appealed to me. Are you in the habit of dictating how people should vote? Pretentious isn't it? I would never dictate how you vote.

nbdysreal

Actually I have read and researched Disney Springs-the shops the eating places etc-saw very little that appealed to me. Are you in the habit of dictating how people should vote? Pretentious isn't it? I would never dictate how you vote.
Jim, I said the same as I don't go to vacation to shop. Then I went around 2 different holidays, specifically at night and was suprised that we enjoyed it as much as we did. Obviously plenty of food there, but if you have a chance, check out the entertainment. Much better than I expected for being a free thing.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Original Poster
Nah, just a joke. That’s why I added the winky face. You can vote however you want.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Foreign guests are a big reason for building the shopping section. I think I read somewhere that about 20% of WDW visitors come from outside the U.S. so it’s not an insignificant demographic group. They are also targeting locals. The garages were pretty full when I was there and I’m sure it wasn’t all tourists staying off property and driving in.
They were pretty empty when we visited. Just goes to show.

I thought most tourists went to the outlet mall anyway? :D

disneylover97

Almost every shopping area in America has majority third party chain stores. By this logic nobody should ever shop anywhere;)

Disney Springs is not unique like Pleasure Island was but that doesn’t mean it has no value at all either. If you are going in expecting it to be a 5th gate or a fully immersive unique experience you are going to be disappointed. It’s a free to visit shopping and dining area that has some entertainment options as well. It’s not a reason to visit WDW but it can be an enjoyable place to spend some time while there on vacation. There are also buses or boats to get directly from Disney hotels to the area so if people are visiting without a car it’s a lot more convenient than driving to another mall “down the road”.

i actually took a marketing and sales seminar while on my cp and the speaker said this exactly! i guess people were traveling offsite to local malls which is why they added third-party stores, made easy transportation from resorts, etc. It was super interesting to hear the corporate side of the transformation from downtown disney to springs.

bback30

On longer trips we may make it over to have a meal or do some shopping. Never on short trips though. Also depends on where we stay. When as SSR, it's really close.

Raineman

Went to DS for the first time last month (my fourth WDW trip), and I thought it was good, but nothing spectacular. The only stores we visited were pretty much all of the Disney-themed stores. The food we had there was good (Polite Pig one day, and then lunch at Planet Hollywood 2 days later), the boat ride there and back from POR was nice, but other than that, to me, it was basically an Orlando premium outlet mall with more restaurants and with Disney theming.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Original Poster
They were pretty empty when we visited. Just goes to show.

I thought most tourists went to the outlet mall anyway? :D
I didn’t have a car with me, but when I was there a few weeks ago my father in law drove in and met us at Disney Springs. He had trouble finding a spot. This was a Friday night so that may have added to the congestion.

I don’t know much about outlet malls. My idea of shopping is sitting on my couch ordering stuff from Amazon.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Original Poster
Downtown Disney -Pleasure Island wasn't too thrilling but the new Disney Springs has peaked my interest, plus there's plenty of restaurants to go to that are all generally unique in some way or another
Wow, I think that’s the first time I’ve heard that. I’m not putting down your opinion at all, just pointing out that it’s rare. PI gets a lot of love around here.

While I personally really enjoyed PI for entertainment, I do agree with you that Disney Springs is far superior to its predecessors when it comes to dining choices. There’s a lot of really good options now.

BigRedDad

It's a must-do for us, but for the Disney side. We want no part of the shopping district. Such a waste of space. Putting it all in and trying to Rodeo Drive it makes it ridiculous. The prices for those stores are insane to begin with. Now tack on the Disney premium and I have no clue how they stay open. I do like the vast array of dining there.

Amidala

I hardly ever went to Disney Springs until I lived in FL for my CP and had time to waste. On a week-long vacation, I don't usually set foot there unless I have a specific reason (a restaurant or shop I want to visit) or it's very late at night and the parks are closed.

I'm usually all for expanding and modernizing, but Disney Springs just...lacks something for me that Downtown Disney (as small as it was by comparison) had. With the exception of a few stores (World of Disney especially) it feels like you could take the 'Disney' out of Disney Springs pretty easily and not need to change much. And while Disney Springs is a few tiers above a mall IMO, there are plenty of comparable (or better) outdoor shopping centers in my area that make Disney Springs feel...kind of unremarkable. I would rather shop at Rockefeller than Disney Springs. It's something I can do at home, so why would I waste a day doing it at Disney World? It feels like a waste of valuable time that could be spent at the parks.

I don't mean to say every single restaurant needs to be Disney-themed, but I think Disney Springs does need some more experiences that are unique to Disney and, yes in some cases make use of the Disney brands or even dip into Disney Parks lore (maybe something along the lines of a Skipper Canteen?). Disney Quest was old and outdated and probably in need of replacement, but for me it was an attempt at making the area stand out. I'm glad they're introducing shows (like the drone show) but I think it needs more Disney-related shopping/dining/entertainment offerings to really draw people away from the parks.

ChanceH

Personally DS is a must do. Normally we plan our trips to arrive early and spend the first evening there. We always have dinner there and buy our souvenirs for the trip and whatever else. Normally I go into Columbia and Sperry and find good sales. This last trip Columbia had their shirts on sale 2 for $25. Go to any store that sales them and they are normally $30+ a shirt. I've also found the Sperry shoes I like to wear that are $99 online at the store in DS for $70. World of Disney, Goofys candy co and the Candy Cauldron are where we spend the majority of the time though. Can spend an hour just looking at all the things in world of disney

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom