Disney slashes Forbidden Mountain budget!!

AkiraRaptor

Meega, nala kwishta!
Originally posted by AddyL
The only thing I want out of a queue is some AIR CONDITIONING which is almost non-existant in the AK.

I love the misting fans. I'm glad to see they added more of them. The first time I visited AK they were only in Africa, last time I saw them everywhere.

Michael72688

Originally posted by AndyMagic
Well I knew it was too good to be true. The ride is still coming but what we are getting won't be what the Disney Imagineers originally planned. Jimhillmedia.com just posted the horrible news. FB's once elaborate queue and pre-show is now just video monitors!! :cry: And people are STILL trying to convince me that Disney isn't going downhill. HA! That's a laugh. :(

On no so sad!!! This means we can actually get on the ride faster!! yay

CTXRover

I have to agree with those not getting upset over this. How can we criticize something that not only isn't built yet, but hasn't even been officially announced! Its not like we were told the ride will have this or that and they now took it away.

I personally think that having tv monitors with scientists talking to you about their discoveries and the mountain and the Yeti encounters they've had, etc. is a MUCH better way to convey the story to the general public. Most people in queues don't want to try and "figure" out the story from props and other things. I see this "monitor-thing" as an improvement to get the story across, especially if it is so crucial to understanding the ride, not a budget cut. Its still gonna cost them to write scripts, hire actors, buy the monitors and supply the power to operate them, etc.

I think the queue will still have themeing in it. Its not like it will be just monitors all over the place sticking out of barren ground :)

AndyMagic

Original Poster
Re: hello....can we get a reality check here?

Originally posted by Fastpas1
Okay....so help me here.... Where did we lose touch that we a getting a VERY cool thrill ride here, and we’re still not happy? Why are complaining about a STANDBY queue, which less than 20% of the Guests will see? Even if what was talked about for the attraction was built, would you choose the standby line over FASTPASS? I LOVE the Disneyland Indy queue...however to this day I still continue to use FASTPASS. There is no queue that would EVER convince me to wait in, versus getting a FASTPASS ticket. In today’s world, we simply do not want to wait in line. Prior to FASTPASS, WDI HAD to design these elaborate queues, as there was no other option.

WDI needs to figure out how to set up the story line for the majority of the Guests, who use FASTPASS, and won't wait in line. For those Disney heritage fans out there, let me point out a few of the GREAT Original Disneyland attractions...Pirates, Jungle Cruise, Small world, Adventure through Inner space. There is NO loss of the story line at all if you were to walk onto the attraction. The attraction sets up everything for you. Maybe what needs to happen is WDI learn from the old gems on how to design an attraction where there is no queue.

Don’t forget…..what’s your perfect day at Disney???? It’s the day where everything is open, and there’s no waits!
I don't know how this got into a conversation about wait times!?! But anyway, I don't know about you guys but Fastpass doesn't really change anything! Now that all the rides are being designed with fastpass in mind, you don't miss any of the queue! You might walk by it a little faster but it still brings you into the environment. Also, even with fastpass tickets, people wait at least 10 - 15 minutes. That is plenty of time to enjoy a nice queue. Of course it is better that they took money out of the queue and not out of the ride but what did you all expect? They weren't going to have an elaborate queue and a hollow mountain with a coaster in it. Also, we are at the base of EVEREST here.... I just don't think video monitors are going to make much sense. I must agree with Pheonix here and I have a feeling that this is going to be a bigger ,taller, faster Matterhorn. Even Jim Hill's description didn't make it seem much better. Go up mountain, see Yeti, then go backwards down hill into helixes. I know I really shouldn't be judging this ride at such an early point but this is in fact a Disney discussion board so why not? :)

freaklarm

why don't we just wait for the announcement to see how the budget is for this ride. We have to remember that everything we know about this ride IS SITLL a rumor, so there is no need to get all mad this. Besides most of all would choose Fastpass over Standby, queue are not that important nowdays.

TURKEY

I can make it through several FP lines in 5 minutes tops.

Just because a ride isn't going to have the best queue ever, doesn't mean Disney is going downhill.

goofyman

Originally posted by AkiraRaptor
OK, I read the article. Maybe it's just me, but even if the Disney Imagineers don't get to build this the way it was orriginally pitched. And they are told to cut it back to monitors, etc. Don't you think they would still theme it.

I mean if you read the orriginal content, I still can't see why they can't do a similar one in a less expensive way. Come on, these are Disney Imagineers here, this is what they do. Make magic from thin air (or thin money so to speak).

I mean look at the Jungle Cruse queue. I like that one. Nothing special, but the little nick-nacks and posters, the music over the speakers. That's good themeing too, and I bet it didn't cost anywhere near budget that is to be spent on FM.

Also, how many times has this happened (if this article is even true) to other projects? I'd think all of them had huge budgets and pitches to them. WDI execs all said wow, great job...now cut it down to this $ and we'll do it, and we now play in those same areas.

Disney is not gonna "mess it up", I just can't belive they would let something this expensive not have the Disney magic too it. But this is all speculation, let's wait for opening day! :sohappy:

Ahh! a voice of reason!..I AGREE!!!!

ToTBellHop

With all due respect, Jim Hill has trouble writing coherent sentences in his articles, so I would trust something from him about an unannounced project about as much as I would trust Screamscape. I'll wait until Jim passes the 4th grade before I start trusting him as an insider in any way, shape, or form. As for the argument that Fastpass doesn't make heavily themed queues useless, ride the Indiana Jones Adventure at Disneyland and you will understand--everyone waits outside the temple and then springs through the entire indoor queue.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
I’m delighted to see the Universal booster club back this post with their full weight. Constructive...ehhh no, Informative, ehh no, Opinionated, yes entirely, but that’s their style Opinion as fact, talking out of their arses as opposed to their mouths.

Simple question why do the burning bird boy and the bandage lover visit this site if they hate the Disney co so much. I guess it’s to grind their axes, but if they limited it to universal no one would give flying monkeys.

AndyMagic

Original Poster
Originally posted by DogsRule!
As for the argument that Fastpass doesn't make heavily themed queues useless, ride the Indiana Jones Adventure at Disneyland and you will understand--everyone waits outside the temple and then springs through the entire indoor queue.
I am well aware of this but Disney has been re-doing most of their fastpass lines to make them run side by side. Test Track started out just like Indiana but they did a rehab of the queue and now all three lines are inside. Same with Kali. I assume they will do this to Indiana as well.

Goofster

As i was reading that article, I was so afraid the next line I would get to would say, "And as if cutting corners on the queue wasn't enough, the execs also seems to be bumping the backward aspect." I'd much rather have disney cut all the corners they need to on the queue than on the ride itself, The mountain in the background would probably be enough theming for me.

AndyMagic

Original Poster
Originally posted by happy snapper
I’m delighted to see the Universal booster club back this post with their full weight. Constructive...ehhh no, Informative, ehh no, Opinionated, yes entirely, but that’s their style Opinion as fact, talking out of their arses as opposed to their mouths.

Simple question why do the burning bird boy and the bandage lover visit this site if they hate the Disney co so much. I guess it’s to grind their axes, but if they limited it to universal no one would give flying monkeys.
And I'M delighted to see that people like you resort to making inappropriate posts that mock other members. Wow, you are SOOOO mature!! (sarcasm) Would you like a lollypop to go along with your time-out? :rolleyes: Seriously I am a Disney fan first and foremost and that is why I come here. As soon as someone says ANYTHING positive about Universal or anything negative about Disney people jump on them.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Originally posted by AndyMagic
And I'M delighted to see that people like you resort to making inappropriate posts that mock other members. Wow, you are SOOOO mature!! (sarcasm) Would you like a lollypop to go along with your time-out? :rolleyes: Seriously I am a Disney fan first and foremost and that is why I come here. As soon as someone says ANYTHING positive about Universal or anything negative about Disney people jump on them.

Maturity? Like good cheeses stinks. The fact that I happen to highlight that your post s tend to reflect a certain viewpoint, is not earth shattering. You are the one that appears to be trying to gain the moral high ground. I visit Universal on every visit to Orlando but fail to find this tourist utopia that a few of the posters here describe. Unlike you however if | I do post my experiences I clearly describe them as opinion, not indisputable fact . Ill leave that up too you.
Thanks for highlighting youre sarcasm because my grasp of the English language is so poor I may have failed to catch your outstanding wit.
When yer baws drop- gies a shout. to use a local colloquialism

AndyMagic

Original Poster
Originally posted by happy snapper
Maturity? Like good cheeses stinks. The fact that I happen to highlight that your post s tend to reflect a certain viewpoint, is not earth shattering. You are the one that appears to be trying to gain the moral high ground. I visit Universal on every visit to Orlando but fail to find this tourist utopia that a few of the posters here describe. Unlike you however if | I do post my experiences I clearly describe them as opinion, not indisputable fact . Ill leave that up too you.
Thanks for highlighting youre sarcasm because my grasp of the English language is so poor I may have failed to catch your outstanding wit.
When yer baws drop- gies a shout. to use a local colloquialism
Tourist Utopia???? I never once made it seem like Universal was perfect and I have said it about 1 million times that I like Disney more than Universal. I also never once stated opinions as fact. Also.... I don't make fun of other members like you.

Main Street USA

Come on guys.

I'll tell you what is so ridiculous about this thread and all of the negative viewpoints.

The same people that are in this thread talking about how this "news" was written by Jim Hill, and how he MUST be right on with all of his info, are the same people who were saying that Jim Hill doesn't know jack when he wrote about project gemini.

Pick a side guys. If you're going to use Jim Hill's article as fact, then I guess we can all expect Project Gemini built in it's entirety by 2008. Right?

What? No?

Exactly.

meowthew

This would NOT be a budget cut. The production of a pre-show film would cost a LOT more than spreading old work tables, crates, tents, plaster casts, photos and similar junk around the queue.

Raidermatt

If you're going to use Jim Hill's article as fact, then I guess we can all expect Project Gemini built in it's entirety by 2008. Right?
No. He never said Project Gemini would be built in its entirety by 2008. Or at all. He posted it as something that is under consideration and is being pitched by WDI. If that is true, his info is accurate. Someone shooting it down later does not make him wrong.

Likewise, with Everest, he is posting what is going on at this time, what is being pitched and considered.

If we want rumors to discuss, it doesn't make a lot of sense to hold somebody's feet to the flame if it doesn't actually happen.

Regarding FP... these attractions still have lines. Just because us "Dsney Experts" always use FP, that does not mean others don't. After all, if there was no line, we wouldn't need FP.

Regarding cost... I'm sure WDI is still capable of producing a queue that is more than just a bunch of junk laying around.

Main Street USA

Well, I wasn't directly quoting the Gemini article from Jim Hill, It's been over a month since I've read it. My main point was that the people that are in this thread whining about this "news" as fact, are the same ones that said they didn't believe a word Jim Hill was writing in the Gemini article.

They simply choose to believe whatever the negative news is. Which is sad, and quite annoying.

CTXRover

Originally posted by meowthew
This would NOT be a budget cut. The production of a pre-show film would cost a LOT more than spreading old work tables, crates, tents, plaster casts, photos and similar junk around the queue.

I totally agree. Although I don't know how much each would cost, making short "movies" that would be on monitors throughout the queue is not a "cheap" alternative.

As I said before, if knowing the story beforehand is so crucial to understanding the ride, having monitors tell us the story directly would be better than trying to figure it out from props scattered throughout the queue.

Its just too easy to bypass props and not pay attention to them telling a story (Great Example (at IOA): Dueling Dragons: very elaborate queue, but very few understand a story being told unless they actually watch the short movie at the very beginning in the "stained glass windows").

TURKEY

Originally posted by CTXRover
I totally agree. Although I don't know how much each would cost, making short "movies" that would be on monitors throughout the queue is not a "cheap" alternative.

As I said before, if knowing the story beforehand is so crucial to understanding the ride, having monitors tell us the story directly would be better than trying to figure it out from props scattered throughout the queue.

Its just too easy to bypass props and not pay attention to them telling a story (Great Example (at IOA): Dueling Dragons: very elaborate queue, but very few understand a story being told unless they actually watch the short movie at the very beginning in the "stained glass windows").

There was a video at Dueling Dragons??? I didn't notice because no one was in the queue.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom