Disney Skyliner shutdown and evacuation - October 6 2019

That and to communicate that guests need to stay calm and await instructions so as to not overload the call-box system and/or 911. I can imagine that there are some guests who would be fine until they saw emergency services evacuating someone else...then they get scared because they imagine every possible disaster. Disney definitely needs to tighten up the communications end of this - even if what is said is vague. Telling everyone "there is need for evacuation of a cabin for a medical emergency, please be patient" would likely have helped enormously in this case.
How many gondolas didn’t have the emergency kit? I’m thinking this is not really a huge issue.

Lilofan

This is a pretty serious question and maybe someone knows the answer but assuming there aren’t AEDs in each of the gondolas, what is the fastest EMS could actually get to a guest how suffered cardiac arrest while riding? Would they stop the gondolas once the phone call was made and use the cherry picker, would they run the gondolas but not let anyone get out until the affected gondola arrived at the station? I’m curious how long it would take compared to if it happened on other forms of Disney transpiration and what the logistics would be.
Get straight to the nearest station. Paramedics and AED machine waiting at the station. AED machine should at the very least be used by the cast member working at the location if needed.

This is a pretty serious question and maybe someone knows the answer but assuming there aren’t AEDs in each of the gondolas, what is the fastest EMS could actually get to a guest how suffered cardiac arrest while riding? Would they stop the gondolas once the phone call was made and use the cherry picker, would they run the gondolas but not let anyone get out until the affected gondola arrived at the station? I’m curious how long it would take compared to if it happened on other forms of Disney transpiration and what the logistics would be.
AED’s are not available in gondolas and would be cost prohibitive. The most important, life saving measure for cardiac arrest is good quality CPR and quick transport to hospital.

More often than not, you do not have a shockable rhythm so the AED would not shock the patient anyway.

So, the quickest, best solution is good quality CPR until arrival at the station. No different than any other form of transport with no AED available. A fire department rescue would, as we have seen, be much too slow.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
So it's Wednesday, mid-day Orlando time. The Skyliner is going into its fourth day of closure.

Still no statement from Disney on when the Skyliner might reopen? Hmm...
Pretty sure we will see crews loading the soon to be disassembled gondola system into dumpsters any day now.

Either that or it might possibly take more time to investigate, repair and test a large transportation system than it takes to get a custom cupcake order.

Last edited:

rickdrat

I'd bet money they put some kind of dye bomb on the emergency kits to discourage tampering/theft. Can't make them difficult to actually open in an emergency, but they clearly need some way to discourage people from looting the kits during normal operation.
Then you'd have a dozen cars taken out of service every day for "dye removal". It's a scientifically proven fact that 17.23% of the population can't walk past a wet paint sign without touching it to be sure.

As to an audible alarm, .... imagine beings stuck in a gondola, it's been three hours, the temperature has risen to 6,000 degrees, and now, for good measure, you've been whistling along with a shrill, piercing, non-stop alarm buzzer for half that time because you got thirsty.

Last edited:

Vacationeer

In the Parks
No
Add a picture sign that informs guests that opening the emergency box also engages the Call Box button so guests can further be assisted. People will think twice about unnecessarily opening the box because it will trigger the alert.

I realize anything added to an emergency box is going to be something else that can break, but it's not complicated to continue the wiring from the Call Box switch. Still a small legal 'what if' where a guest relied on the emergency box alert going out and it was broken.

stratman50th

After the 2 year old guest got killed by the alligator at the Grand Floridian a few years ago in front of his parents, alligator and snake warning signs then got posted all over anywhere there is a body of water in WDW , a memorial to honor him got built at the resort, Alcatraz walls got installed so the gators can't climb over them around the Grand Floridian, and pretty much now business as usual.
Ok, some incorrect info there. First off, Disney was at fault for not posting warnings from the beginning, the signs you see now. I believe this to be an omission on their part so as not to scare guests. Anybody from Florida can tell you if there's fresh water, there's alligators. Period. Now the people that can be forgiven is somebody from Bozeman Montana or someplace similar who not only wouldn't put two and two together but believe that they are in the Disney bubble and there aren't even mosquitoes on property!
Yeah, they should have put signs up years ago. They had no swimming signs along the beaches, but put the picture of a gator or shark on the sign and it gets a little more respect.
As far as the fences and stone rip-rap, that isn't to keep the alligators away. Alligators can climb fences without any trouble. That stuff is to keep people away from shore so they don't end up a statistic.

Lilofan

Ok, some incorrect info there. First off, Disney was at fault for not posting warnings from the beginning, the signs you see now. I believe this to be an omission on their part so as not to scare guests. Anybody from Florida can tell you if there's fresh water, there's alligators. Period. Now the people that can be forgiven is somebody from Bozeman Montana or someplace similar who not only wouldn't put two and two together but believe that they are in the Disney bubble and there aren't even mosquitoes on property!
Yeah, they should have put signs up years ago. They had no swimming signs along the beaches, but put the picture of a gator or shark on the sign and it gets a little more respect.
As far as the fences and stone rip-rap, that isn't to keep the alligators away. Alligators can climb fences without any trouble. That stuff is to keep people away from shore so they don't end up a statistic.
That's incorrect on not posting signs from the beginning. We stayed at Animal Kingdom lodge a few years before the fatal alligator attack. At the very end of the fenceline by the guest tennis courts we noticed by the retention pond one alligator warning sign. When the tennis balls landed there we were not going anywhere near there to retrieve the tennis balls.

Vacationeer

In the Parks
No
I'm not sure exactly what the box set up now is, but if the have to open the bench to access the box then put a sign in there.

The sign should convey the above (from post #1689) and also show contents of the box. That will help quell curiosity. I'd guess many people are opening the box just to see what's in there and what type of emergencies have been planned for on the Skyliner.

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
What do you mean "nope?"
The barrier can't serve two purposes?
Keeping people away from the water from which a submerged gator may ambush out of, grab a victim and wheel around and head back into.
But you just agreed with strathman ... I'm confused

durangojim

One would theorize time is the most important factor in those situations is time and the decision branches are based on that. As long as the line is moving, I think you'd be hard pressed to have any scenario where 'advance to closest station' isn't the preferred plan of action and have EMS meet them at that station. Because evac equipment must be moved to location, and things like fall protection etc are not optional... any 'get up to the cabin' scenario would probably be slower. Plus, once you are at the station, the patient can be easily moved to further transport, etc.

Evac mid-line really is the line of last resort. It requires equipment to be moved to site, personnel, safety protocols, etc. It's not something you want to do unless you really have to.
I would think so, I'm curious if they would still allow others to board or exit or if they can keep the doors close and make an announcement so they could just get the one car there quicker.

joelkfla

Yeah, but I think the point was that everybody stuck in a traffic jam on I-4 doesn't call 911 to report they're stuck in a traffic jam. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that Disney already knows their Skyliner isn't running.

How about handing everybody a card as they get on that says: "If the Skyliner stops, we know about it. You don't have to tell us. Stay calm, and rest assured that we're working on getting it fixed. Don't call us or 911 unless there's a life-threatening emergency in your gondola. Don't call to tell us about other gondolas being evacuated. Don't call 911 to tell us that you're going to miss your reservations. Also, please don't open the emergency supplies until we tell you to. Yes, you're stuck there until we get it running, and if we can't, we'll come get you. We'll let you know if that happens. Until then, enjoy the scenery and have a Magical Disney Day."
How about they simply make that announcement over the speakers when it's stopped for more than 10 or 15 minutes?

joelkfla

Is the emergency kit something that could have an easy open seal, and be issued at the door of the gondola prior to entrance, and received back, at the rider's exit? The cm at the receiving end, and/or the next issuer, could do a quick check and set it aside if the seal was broken to be re-supplied. The way they issue the glasses for Bug's Life, and Toy Story Mania comes to mind...
Wow, that would instill a lot of confidence in the safety of the system.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom