Disney Skyliner shutdown and evacuation - October 6 2019

The_Jobu

That's not a good comparison because air travel is much much much faster than bus travel. If they took exactly the same amount of time (or were relatively similar), almost no one would use airplanes. I'm sure the gondolas are faster than taking buses (if they weren't, there would have been no reason to build them -- I don't think they're any faster than monorails, though), but it's certainly not a difference of multiple hours or days.

Regardless, this thread has been enjoyable. It's like reading a political discussion between party loyalists. The numbers of people who either think the sky is falling and the Skyliner is a massive disaster or who are so defensive about Disney that they can't even admit this was actually a significant issue (if only because of the evacuation problems) or that people have a right to be upset are absolutely hilarious.

I love it here too.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
In Florida the DOA (Department of AGRICULTURE) handles amusement park regulation and Florida exempts theme parks with 1000 or more employees from oversight. So unless there was any criminality, this one is all on TWDC.

That's what I've read.

Disney and the other big parks are reuqired to report all injuries that require medical attention as part of the self-regulating deal.

You are correct, a fall protection harness is required for everybody operating in an elevated platform by every fire service. The time for the rescue crews to put them on was included in my five-minute time schedule. They are quite easy to put on and the cruise could put one on a passenger in less than a minute even under extreme circumstances. He stepped thru 2 loops, pull straps over your shoulders, cross them in the front and connect them to the loops around her legs.
No snark. What about rescuing very large guests in an ECV with an inability to assist in transfer? I’m genuinely curious how that rescue would go. I’m thinking it would be complicated.

Orangeanna

Not sure if this has been covered, this thread is quite long, but local news is reporting Disney has denied any collision of any cabins. How? We have the pics and shattered glass on the ground and first hand accounts. Why deny this now? What is the point? It makes me question the no injury statement especially since people saw a stretcher and a woman taken in an ambulance. Of course that doesn't mean she was injured by the ride but may have gotten ill as a result of its failure. Like storm victims who die bc of lack of access of care etc. Doesn't that count?

Editor516

Maybe I’m overly optimistic or naive but I think this will end up being a tremendous learning experience for WDW personnel. You can practice and drill all you want, but a real-world, real-time accident always exposes flaws in the planning and breakdowns in the processes.

While this was an uncomfortable situation for those involved, it could have been much, much worse. No one seems to have been hurt. It was hot but not life-threateningly so. It appears there were some flaws in the communications systems (e.g., no one answering the call boxes), in the decision to evacuate (e.g., it took 90 minutes to start the process), and in what happened to those who got evacuated (e.g., sending people back through a closed Epcot, or not providing food options for those who got stuck for more than 2 hours).

About six months ago, my organization conducted a fire drill and management was concerned about the extraordinarily long time it took to evacuate our building, the lack of communication among our teams, and other problems. Meetings were convened. People were interviewed. Experts were consulted. After-action reports were generated. Then processes were changed.

I would fully expect Disney to do the same after this accident. All things considered, they seem to have dodged a major bullet on this one. I believe Disney will pause, interview, review, study, learn, implement, and improve.

Brer Oswald

Not sure if this has been covered, this thread is quite long, but local news is reporting Disney has denied any collision of any cabins. How? We have the pics and shattered glass on the ground and first hand accounts. Why deny this now? What is the point? It makes me question the no injury statement especially since people saw a stretcher and a woman taken in an ambulance. Of course that doesn't mean she was injured by the ride but may have gotten ill as a result of its failure. Like storm victims who die bc of lack of access of care etc. Doesn't that count?
The best way for them to go about this is to be completely transparent. Heck, that’s the best way for them to go about most of their problems, but they never do.

Unfortunately, this has been an issue with Disney since the beginning. But we live in a different time than our Great Uncle Walt.

Rich T

There is a report from someone claiming to be in the damaged cabin that it was more like a slow crushing against a stuck gondola. Time will tell if that’s accurate.

Brer Oswald

Maybe I’m overly optimistic or naive but I think this will end up being a tremendous learning experience for WDW personnel. You can practice and drill all you want, but a real-world, real-time accident always exposes flaws in the planning and breakdowns in the processes.

While this was an uncomfortable situation for those involved, it could have been much, much worse. No one seems to have been hurt. It was hot but not life-threateningly so. It appears there were some flaws in the communications systems (e.g., no one answering the call boxes), in the decision to evacuate (e.g., it took 90 minutes to start the process), and in what happened to those who got evacuated (e.g., sending people back through a closed Epcot, or not providing food options for those who got stuck for more than 2 hours).

About six months ago, my organization conducted a fire drill and management was concerned about the extraordinarily long time it took to evacuate our building, the lack of communication among our teams, and other problems. Meetings were convened. People were interviewed. Experts were consulted. After-action reports were generated. Then processes were changed.

I would fully expect Disney to do the same after this accident. All things considered, they seem to have dodged a major bullet on this one. I believe Disney will pause, interview, review, study, learn, implement, and improve.
I mean, if they use this as a learning experience and go 10 years without another major accident, then maybe I will ride it.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

I'd like to see the quote of what was asked and said, please.

Technically, and I'm not saying this to protect Disney, if by 'collision' you mean two gondolas banging into each other at speed, that seems to not have happened. A few gondolas were squeezed and compressed... certainly not a good thing, but not a collision. If a bulldozer started to push a car and the car was against a wall and got slightly crushed, I don't think anyone would call that a collision.

No one is going to get whiplash from what happened at the Riviera.

flynnibus

Premium Member
OK, but not 90 minutes. After Doppelmayr had 30 minutes, or even 15 minutes, to get things moving, and they were unsuccessful, evacuations should have commenced.

And that threshold is based on what? That's completely unrealistic imo. That's even quicker than most fixed rides... let alone rides that require ems evacs.

People here are losing their over 1-3 hours. Id wager that order of magnitude is well within their operational models.

Mark IV Fan

'cuz pixie dusters say so. Get with the program.
If you have people stranded in these things for 3+ hours in the middle of the Florida summer sun.........The ER crews had better be prepared to remove some of the passengers with a spatula.

It still blows my mind that Disney announced they were going to put people in fully enclosed metal and glass boxes hanging high off the ground and exposed to full force of the Florida sun and with no air conditioning, but that they had included “window slits” for air circulation.

And a lot of the pixie dusters said “Sounds good! Don’t see any potential problem with that!”

HoldenC

The local news media will go out of their way to paint Disney as evil. So take everything they say either a grain of salt.
Maybe I’m overly optimistic or naive but I think this will end up being a tremendous learning experience for WDW personnel
No, you're being rational. This was a minor setback on an otherwise fantastic rollout week. The lessons learned with be great and the next time this happens the evac process hopefully will not be a debacle.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom