Disney Skyliner shutdown and evacuation - October 6 2019

BoarderPhreak

The report states that nobody was seriously injured during the event, but “it may have been a different story if that thing broke out down at noon,” O’Reilly said.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
If the ambient temperature is 89 degrees above, below, and around the gondola, you can expect the outside air entering the gondola to cool the cabin to 89 degrees if the air is moving. Now add 8 humans and potentially sunlight as well. I'm not saying it's a dire situation or anything, but it's going to be pretty uncomfortable..and probably smelly too.
That's just it. It's (probably) not going to become a death box. But it sure as hell is going to be very uncomfortable.

KC00

All the arguing about the heat situation here is silly. I think the reality here is somewhere between “if the gondola stops for 3 hours on an afternoon in July everyone on board will likely die from the heat” and “if the gondola stops for 3 hours on an afternoon in July no one will suffer any ill effects from the heat because the gondolas are designed for passive cooling so everyone should stop worrying about it!”

Plenty of guests will be fine or just a little uncomfortable in that situation, yes. Yes, Disney World is hot all around and people are touring around all day. But there are plenty of guests who plan their Disney days so as to avoid being out in that heat for long periods of time. I get migraines from being out in the sun too long and so I duck into indoor attractions, shops or other shady spots to break up the day. I’m sure there are others with different heat senstitivies who plan their days in ways that work for them. Saying “if you are in Disney World you can already tolerate the heat” is a ridiculous blanket statement. Not everyone in the parks is outside in 3 hour FOP lines from morning to night.

No one is getting on the gondolas expecting to be trapped up there for 3 hours and while I hope something like this never happens again, it is rather upsetting that it happened so soon after opening. It is likely making people wonder if the risk of a 3 hour stop hanging over the highway is something they need to consider more than they might have. It is certainly making me wonder about it. And I think the people making the argument about Disney being lucky it didn’t happen during the heat of the day are basically just trying to say that if this becomes something that happens often it will be a real problem for SOME guests not that everyone will die up there.

Movielover

So this is the standard by which we now gauge a Disney vacation. At least nobody died. Success!
I don't know about you but I walked away from a malfunctioning haunted elevator, Went back in time and barely escaped from a hungry dinosaur, flew through outer space, and rode It's A Small World without ripping my ears out so... yeah pretty successful trip if I do say so myself!
;)

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Do you think it is any cooler sitting in a gondola that isn't moving, than in a automobile that is not moving, but has the windows rolled down and the sunroof vented?
It's the same concept.
"Passive cooling" is marketing speak for ventilation and tinted windows.
There are no miracle concepts at work on those Gondola cabins.
You know what would have been a good idea?
Solar powered fans mounted on the ceiling of the gondola that kick in when the line stops.
If they're solar powered, they won't run at night, which is when they would have been needed here. But I agree it's a concept they can explore.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
If they're solar powered, they won't run at night, which is when they would have been needed here. But I agree it's a concept they can explore.

Lots of battery-backed solar-powered fans out there than can run for 6 hours (at the highest speed) on battery. They sell a variety of them on Amazon. I researched them while we were preparing for Dorian.

Incomudro

Point is air is still flowing freely through the gondola. It simply makes the gondola feel like outside, not a oven like a car parked in a parking lot would be. If you can survive being outside in WDW for a whole day you can survive being in a gondola. Simple as that.

Air isn't always flowing freely particularly on a humid day.
Said free flowing air would also flow freely through those rolled down windows of a motor vehicle, and hot air would vent out the sunroof.
But I would not refer to the above as passive cooling.
"Survival?" LOL
Is this really how low we are going to set the bar now?
Again, being outside in WDW allows the guest the ability, to go indoors, get a drink, find shade, and gives them the psychological piece of mind that they are in control of their situation.
This is vastly different from sitting in an immobile box, suspended above the ground - possibly with a handful of strangers, maybe a screaming kid...

Movielover

Its amazing how people get so conditioned.. they forget alternatives even existed previously. It's like all the design choices that went into houses before there was AC to maximize airflow, layouts, elevations vs the sun path, etc. Just because something isn't high tech doesn't mean it's not functional or purposeful.

Also it's Florida, news flash you are going to be hot and uncomfortable anywhere, period! If you are smart and properly hydrate yourself all day and not just after stepping aboard the gondolas you will be perfectly fine, yes mildly uncomfortable, but fine.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Lots of battery-backed solar-powered fans out there than can run for 6 hours (at the highest speed) on battery. They sell a variety of them on Amazon. I researched them while we were preparing for Dorian.
Well, now, you didn't say "solar powered fans with battery back-up," now, did you? ;)

DisneyJoe

Put the fan behind mesh.
Of course, I would expect that to be the default for safety - but I have seen people poke and prod at a fan behind mesh with a pen or pin or something else thinking that the fan should be moving when it is not, doing more harm than good. I've even seen people remove the mesh cover.

Incomudro

Of course, I would expect that to be the default for safety - but I have seen people poke and prod at a fan behind mesh with a pen or pin or something else thinking that the fan should be moving when it is not, doing more harm than good. I've even seen people remove the mesh cover.

So, let's not have a fan because guests might mangle the enclosure to get at those tempting blades?
You know, they make fans with soft, flexible plastic and/or foam blades too.
Such a fan could have been installed on the ceiling of the gondola, so that if guests felt that they absolutely had to tear apart the housing to get to it, the blades still wouldn't hurt their fingers.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom