Disney Skyliner shutdown and evacuation - October 6 2019

Heppenheimer

In other news, Bretton Woods ski resort is about to open their new gondola system, which of course, was also built by Doppelmayr. Based on what I have read here, this ski season I might need to update my life insurance policy. Of course, we don't have alligators up here in the north country, but I probably should insist on a clause that includes coverage for death by moose stampede, should I need to be rescued from these potential flying freezer box death traps.

Goofyernmost

Because you have no way of knowing right away if what happened on this line could happen on the others. The safest thing to do is let the other lines run until they are clear and the shut them down.
What if they know what caused it and felt that there was no reason to stop the rest. Why create an massive panic when it may have just been a minor, easily fixed problem or CM error or some other controllable situation. You don't stop all Monorails when one breaks down or buses if one has an accident.

Epcot82Guy

I mean, yea, facts are important.

All I can determine is, from one video I watched, the people in the car during CM testing stated for the 5 minutes they were stopped, the gondola warmed up. But they didn't say how hot it got, but they were sweating. Of course, this was 5 minutes, not 180 like it was stopped for last night.

Just going to wait to see if someone can provide those facts I am asking for before forming an opinion.

I don't have actual numbers, but I can vouch for the experience anecdotally. I rode the Epcot line to CBR, and it was very comfortable. We didn't stop for more than 30 seconds along the route. I then took the Studios line, and we stopped for about 5 minutes. In that time, it felt very warm and I was sweating quite a bit. In that amount of time, I noticed wanting water and feeling the starts of wanting to get into the shade. It was the middle of the day (about 3pm) with temps around 92 - heat index of about 97. Once we got started, the air circulation helped a lot. But, I remember thinking being stuck for more than 15 or 20 minutes could be an issue.

I will also note I had had a few drinks at Food and Wine (not a large amount) and hadn't been drinking water as I should have.

I raise all of that just for data points from actual experience. I think boarding it when you think it's going to be 5-10 minutes and you haven't maybe drank water or were fatigued or something could cause an issue if we were talking 90-120 minutes+ in heat like that. I've had heat exhaustion in similar situations at food and wine festivals here in Atlanta with similar heat. So, I could see it happening if people aren't in "normal" state/temp/hydration when boarding.

Vacationeer

In the Parks
No
Maybe they should walk back treating icecubes as contraband. The temperature regulation and hydration cubes provide might mean the difference between rescue and recovery, plus they may come in handy to rinse out the corner after a trapped 3yo needs to release a dookie (not enough icecubes in the world to rectify this situation with an older passenger).

Even though this is quite serious, sometimes I can't help being stupid. Sorry in advance.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
What if they know what caused it and felt that there was no reason to stop the rest. Why create an massive panic when it may have just been a minor, easily fixed problem or CM error or some other controllable situation. You don't stop all Monorails when one breaks down or buses if one has an accident.

Disney has been operating the monorails and buses for a long time so they are likely comfortable making a quick judgement if a problem is isolated or a bigger concern. The Skyliner is a new system for Disney and this is an unusual failure so it made sense to shut the other lines down until the exact cause of the problem was understood and mitigation steps put in place.

Hawg G

The gondola will indeed heat up, and it will radiate heat away inside the cabin (but just as much will be radiated outwards). The heat inside the cabin will not stay there. There are vents below and above. The warmer air will rise and go out the top while fresh air will come in from the bottom.

We already had people in 90+ heat stopped in the gondolas with a thermometer. The temperature rose one degree.

They weren't there 3 hours. Warmer air rises, but the average temp will also rise as heat input from the sun continues. People LAST NIGHT were saying how it got stuffy and warm in them.

I don't understand how so many people can't think of their cars. I had a car that it's air conditioner died when I lived in Houston, it was our seconadary car, on it's last legs, so I just drove it to work, 8 minutes away. It didn't matter if all the windows were down and I was moving, it sucked in that car going home. And as soon as I stopped at a stop light, it really sucked.

wdwfan22

One of the bigger issues being overlooked is how understaffed Reedy Creek is. Last night they were stretched as far as you can stretch dealing with the Skyliner incident. Had there been any other incidents on property things could have been very problematic for the mouse. Reedy Creek has been asking for more staff for years and Disney keeps saying no.

lazyboy97o

They weren't there 3 hours. Warmer air rises, but the average temp will also rise as heat input from the sun continues. People LAST NIGHT were saying how it got stuffy and warm in them.

I don't understand how so many people can't think of their cars. I had a car that it's air conditioner died when I lived in Houston, it was our seconadary car, on it's last legs, so I just drove it to work, 8 minutes away. It didn't matter if all the windows were down and I was moving, it sucked in that car going home. And as soon as I stopped at a stop light, it really sucked.
Once again, your car is designed for mechanical cooling, not passive cooling. It is not the same.

Lilofan

One of the bigger issues being overlooked is how understaffed Reedy Creek is. Last night they were stretched as far as you can stretch dealing with the Skyliner incident. Had there been any other incidents on property things could have been very problematic for the mouse. Reedy Creek has been asking for more staff for years and Disney keeps saying no.
Like I mentioned earlier, the perfect storm would be if RCFD ( who are supposed to be the experts in Skyliner) , was dealing with another mass incident, then if the Skyliner incident happens that would not be good. Emergency response times may get affected, ya think? 😕

Last edited:

flynnibus

Premium Member
Once again, your car is designed for mechanical cooling, not passive cooling. It is not the same.

Its amazing how people get so conditioned.. they forget alternatives even existed previously. It's like all the design choices that went into houses before there was AC to maximize airflow, layouts, elevations vs the sun path, etc. Just because something isn't high tech doesn't mean it's not functional or purposeful.

Hawg G

I'd suggest more physics, thermo, and material science.

Plastics are great thermal insulators with low thermal conductivity.. and the majority of the cabin is glass with reflective coatings. The whole thing is meant to reflect thermal energy and will do so better than a shaded area because the structure will block not just line of sight, but all reflected energy off the ground/surroudings as well. Additionally, the panel design of the plastic portions would mean you'd have an air thermal insulation layer behind the exposed panels to. You've got great thermal isolation between the external and interior. The BTU output of the humans in the cab probably far outweigh the solar energy soak of the cabin.

You're so hung up on the idea being in a box.. but ignoring what the box does for you.

A box with no cooling, in a very hot environment, does not get cooler than the air outside. Surely you realize all the reflective coatings in the world won't change that. If the outside is 95, the inside WILL get hotter than that. The natural chimney effect of cabin air will help a tiny bit, but over 8 feet, that force is pretty damn small.

Then of course, as you at least admit, there will be up to 8 chemical reactors inside starting at 98 F, and putting off heat. Once they get above 98 F, they start ing up because of this. For a few moments, no big deal, for 3 hours, it's a HUGE deal.

You can state your physics knowledge all day, but during about 6 months out of the year, during about half of the operating day, those cabins will get very close, or above 98 F, which over 3 hours will cause some serious stress to the life forms inside. Especially the very small ones and the very old ones. Sure, they can all share the 25-30 ounces of hot water, and fight over the 2 cooling packs, but I don't think that's going to help.

lazyboy97o

Its amazing how people get so conditioned.. they forget alternatives even existed previously. It's like all the design choices that went into houses before there was AC to maximize airflow, layouts, elevations vs the sun path, etc. Just because something isn't high tech doesn't mean it's not functional or purposeful.
I’ve said the same a few times in the main thread. People are so used to not just the technology, but are absolutely surrounded by bad design that requires the A/C to always be cranked up to 11 that they have absolutely no experience with or knowledge of anything else.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom