Disney Skyliner shutdown and evacuation - October 6 2019

lazyboy97o

I still think pantographs could be a potential solution to this, hopefully someday the gondola manufacturers will look into this for some of the warmer climate urban transport systems.
The power would still have to be shut off during an evacuation, creating a worse problem. Systems designed for mechanical conditioning are sealed, not ventilated. That is why your house or car can get so hot when there is no air conditioning. The gondolas would be worse if they had air conditioning. Those who keep saying “Monorail!” are choosing to be ignorant. The monorails are a sealed box that do get stuck without air for hours.

Last edited:

mergatroid

I also wonder if any of would volunteer to sit in a cabin on July 4th for 3 hours starting at 1:00 pm? Test the theory that we'd be fine? It's obvious now that accidents will happen and evacuation takes a long time. I hope not as long next time. This past week was not hot, not for Florida. I've been enjoying the break from the heat. July is brutal, in the shade, even with a breeze. In a box with 9 other people and no fan I can't imagine.

I read somewhere that this was done over the summer with human guinea pigs and temperatures were measured etc. I can only assume if true it was determined that the horrible temperatures that time of the year, whilst unpleasant must have been 'acceptable' in the cabins? Don't get me wrong I doubt there'd be a person in the world who'd find the experience pleasant, but they surely assessed the risk and decided the level of danger it put the average person in?

If the above isn't true it would seem a very foolish way to operate a transportation system and one would assume that Disney has lawyers looking at every decision they make to protect them from liability. That's not to say that it's a great transportation system to be on during a breakdown, but surely research has been conducted and the results found to be safe. Maybe after this incident Disney will feel they should publicly reveal any research they did as this thread alone proves there's many folk who believe the heat issue to be a problem, rightly or wrongly.

jrhwdw

I don’t really have a dog in this fight, but...

“Amazing” and “new” don’t really apply to a gondola system. I don’t think.
IDK, maybe I'm a lover of any Disney Trans. that's not a Bus, but Skyliner is new has some amazing views from what I've seen on YT.

jrhwdw

Changing the focus away from Florida heat...... For those of us who wish not to be glued to this thread, will news from the investigation and Skyliner's fate/outlook leak daily or should we wait to come back in here in a few days?

I hope that made sense!
Leaks happen and not only in Washington.
I don’t really have a dog in this fight,
Maybe I'll wait to come back when I see something solid from one of the sites on Twitter. I don't need to see a dog fight every day!

Jimbotron

Need more info.

How hot was it outside?
How hot was the gondola prior to stopping?
Temp rose 1 degree while stopped, how long were they stopped?
What time of day was it?
Was the sun out or behind clouds?
How many people inside the gondola? Yes, it matters because body heat given off by 2 people is less than body heat given off by 10.

Only asking because, while your defense is 1 degree, making it sound like OH NOT AN ISSUE, that one degree COULD BE an issue for some people. And if it rose 1 degree in, say, a 4-5 minute stop, we could assume in 180 minutes the stopped gondola will warm up more than 1 degree.

Not trying to be argumentative here. I am one who believes these things aren't the death traps some are portraying, and I cannot wait to finally get the chance to ride one of these, hopefully in April.
I love your reply. I am an engineer, and data and facts are so important. Everything else is speculation and opinion.

danv3

For what it’s worth, here at the Boardwalk we received a message on our room phones saying that the Skyliner was down “today” with no mention of future downtime. (Unclear why we got this message since we’re not a Skyliner resort.)

On the other hand, the cars haven’t moved an inch today. From my balcony I can see one hanging on the EPCOT line with its door open. o_O

Attachments

• 68C6962D-BD4A-4E2F-B07A-D0CB0658BF0A.jpeg
    68C6962D-BD4A-4E2F-B07A-D0CB0658BF0A.jpeg
    102.2 KB · Views: 176

cindy_k

For what it’s worth, here at the Boardwalk we received a message on our room phones saying that the Skyliner was down “today” with no mention of future downtime. (Unclear why we got this message since we’re not a Skyliner resort.)

On the other hand, the cars haven’t moved an inch today. From my balcony I can see one hanging on the EPCOT line with its door open. o_O
With the station at the International Gateway, you are a Skyliner resort. :)

HongKongFu

Let's talk about this notion that since there were no casualties in a 3+ hour FoP queue in a blazing Florida sun then those in a stopped gondola should be OK.

That is some nonsense right there.

It's total nonsense because of one absolutely colossal factor: CHOICE

Those caught in a sweltering FoP queue can leave and seek cover if things become too intense; gondola people get no choice.

Rich T

The evac was long, I suspect people with babies and elderlies may not want to ride it, but I was wondering- don't people usually carry snacks and water and etc. with them into the park? If I ever go into the park, I'd pack a Shewee cup, too, just in case and ride whatever I could. I've waiting longer for AAA when my truck broke down. I realize my truck was not up in the air, and time is money while staying at the park, but I suspect people were prepared, (except for the shewee cups).
Most people do not carry the theme park pro food kit with them. And, really, WDW guests should not be expected to prep for possible ride disasters by packing emergency supplies on their persons. This is a theme park visit, not a mountain climbing trip. It’s Disney’s responsibility to keep their guests safe and well. A bigger problem is the bathroom consideration. If I’d been stuck for a long time on Skyliner after a day of refillable drinks, hydration would be the least of my worries. Nothing new for gondola rides, which is why I usually avoid them if possible.

WDWBryan

Okay I thought the possibility of a zip line evacuation occurring near the international gateway I read in here was a joke and then watching was a joke then I start watching Brayden's video and see that can actually happen. wow.

Captain Chaos

I love your reply. I am an engineer, and data and facts are so important. Everything else is speculation and opinion.
I mean, yea, facts are important.

All I can determine is, from one video I watched, the people in the car during CM testing stated for the 5 minutes they were stopped, the gondola warmed up. But they didn't say how hot it got, but they were sweating. Of course, this was 5 minutes, not 180 like it was stopped for last night.

Just going to wait to see if someone can provide those facts I am asking for before forming an opinion.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom