Disney Skyliner shutdown and evacuation - October 6 2019

Disstevefan1

Good point about the boom lift weight limits allowed by the angle of the boom lift etc. It sounds like we are at the mercy of the boom operator to hope they know what they are doing :(

I have no idea what the actual evacuation plan is, but it really sounds like, in a malfunction situation, they need to get the cable moving again, at any speed, to get the guests to the nearest platform to get them out of the cabin.

It seems the best way to get folks out the cabins is to use the system.

If I understood correctly, in this last malfunction, the vast majority of guests were indeed evacuated by riding the Skyway to the nearest station?

If for some reason that cant happen, that's a BIG problem.

Goofyernmost

I never asked about the weight limit of the gondolas. I was talking about the challenge of using a boom lift as an evacuation option if the person needing rescued would be a 479lbs individual in a scooter. The hyperbole discussed the boom operator using a scientific calculator to determine the weight limits allowed by the angle of the boom lift and the hope that the scooter occupant would be honest about their weight instead of trying to save face by providing a lower number (350lbs).

This is a general request, not just to this poster: Please read thoroughly what you plan to reply to and ensure you understand. That will allow for a more enjoyable forum experience for everyone. No one wants to read explanations.
Sorry, I didn't misread it because I wasn't addressing you, but two things come to mind and I can assure you that there are no almost 500 pound people riding scooters and touring WDW. For one thing they wouldn't fit in any seat or ride and there aren't very many, if any, scooters that can handle that much weight, so there is no detailed answer to your question. Second, you don't really think that any boom lift would have any problem lifting that weight, but still a mute point, since they wouldn't fit into a Gondola anyway even if they were there.

Now for the other thing, Please do not pretend to lecture myself or others on how to live up to your standard of excellence. I answered the way I did because on top of everything else, I wasn't quoting you. Another poster asked the question that I was answering, so perhaps more then one of us should try reading who is being quoted, it would surely enhance everyone's enjoyment of the boards.

tissandtully

Sorry, I didn't misread it because I wasn't addressing you, but two things come to mind and I can assure you that there are no almost 500 pound people riding scooters and touring WDW. For one thing they wouldn't fit in any seat or ride and there aren't very many, if any, scooters that can handle that much weight, so there is no detailed answer to your question. Second, you don't really think that any boom lift would have any problem lifting that weight, but still a mute point, since they wouldn't fit into a Gondola anyway even if they were there.

Now for the other thing, Please do not pretend to lecture myself or others on how to live up to your standard of excellence. I answered the way I did because on top of everything else, I wasn't quoting you. Another poster asked the question that I was answering, so perhaps more then one of us should try reading who is being quoted, it would surely enhance everyone's enjoyment of the boards.
Surprisingly the over 400lb folks I've seen are walking and not riding scooters. I guess that kind of explains why that is..

VaderTron

I guess I will have to point out that I once again assumed that people would realize that I was undercutting what I thought might be an average weight to make a point. If it were 150 per person, a number I drew directly out of my butt, it would be the minimum of 1500 lbs. 10 X 150 = 1500. It was in a response to someone asking what each Gondola would safely hold, weight wise. Someone had mentioned the possibility of a 450 pound man in a wheelchair or scooter. The likelihood of that is slim to not at all, but, someone that size would take up a lot of room especially with the mobility device. So, nothing to worry about... they got if covered.

I never asked about the weight limit of the gondolas. I was talking about the challenge of using a boom lift as an evacuation option if the person needing rescued would be a 479lbs individual in a scooter. The hyperbole discussed the boom operator using a scientific calculator to determine the weight limits allowed by the angle of the boom lift and the hope that the scooter occupant would be honest about their weight instead of trying to save face by providing a lower number (350lbs).

This is a general request, not just to this poster: Please read thoroughly what you plan to reply to and ensure you understand. That will allow for a more enjoyable forum experience for everyone. No one wants to read explanations.

I highlighted the reasons for confusion. You stated that "someone" was asking about a gondola's weigh limits. (don't know who that was, but wasn't me) Then you also said "someone" mentioned a 450lbs person in a wheelchair/scooter. (that person was me). Without quotes or names it sounded like you were saying they were the same person. Thus the confusion. Also, similar to your statements regarding 150lbs people I wasn't using literal numbers. It was hyperbole intended to represent a very large individual on a mobility scooter. Those scooters are 200-400lbs in addition to the individual riding on it. Some mobility scooters hold up to 450lbs of capacity. Such a large load definitely would have to be calculated for a boom lift. The further it stretches out and away from the boom's base the less weight it can handle.

Note that I made a general request to everyone regarding how to enhance everyone's forum reading experience. You don't have to abide by it. There is no standard outside of what is redacted by moderators. (not my purview) I made a simple request. Sorry it offended you.

Last edited:

Disstevefan1

We better stop talking like this, Disney May create another up-charge event, “Skyliner 3 hour Tour”. Only $199 per person over 3. Drinks and snacks included, free glow sticks, and goodie bags with a surprise inside. Note: much like ski lifts, your Skyliner may stop periodically during your 3 hour tour. Cell phones not allowed during this tour.

VaderTron

Interesting...this gondola in Switzerland released from the cable and crashed to pieces on the ground. Fortunately no one was inside that one, but other riders were in other gondolas. How likely would it be for a cabin to be empty at WDW? :oops:

Maker?

Quote: "The Doppelmayr gondola was built in 2014"

Last edited:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Interesting...this gondola in Switzerland released from the cable and crashed to pieces on the ground. Fortunately no one was inside that one, but other riders were in other gondolas. How likely would it be for a cabin to be empty at WDW? :oops:

Maker?

...well that’s one way to get em down ;)

matt9112

And when they DO go to WDW, they don't panic when their ride or transport breaks down and stops for an extended period.

But that doesn't matter. I agree that there will be a MUCH larger demographic on the skyliner than any ski lift anywhere period. Fact. Its also going to be alot more Americans than any of the big systems in south America or asia. Also a fact.

VaderTron

Where did all of the "This is the safest transportation system in the world!" people go? They disappeared quicker than pigs in a blanket at a weight watchers meeting.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Where did all of the "This is the safest transportation system in the world!" people go? They disappeared quicker than pigs in a blanket at a weight watchers meeting.
Technically nobody was physically injured in the article you posted...mental damage is possible if you witnessed that fall from the next gondola down the line.

VaderTron

Technically nobody was physically injured in the article you posted...mental damage is possible if you witnessed that fall from the next gondola down the line.
I am one of those who doesn't believe an actual death is required to establish that something has the potential to kill. I find it foolish to ignore the possibility until proven wrong by tragedy.

That incident was luck of the draw. That cabin just happened to be empty. There were 50 people on those gondolas when it happened. I wonder how many of them are going to ride the gondolas again?

Phil12

Maker?

I noticed that they have an update. The accident was caused by high winds. Thank goodness WDW never has high winds.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I am one of those who doesn't believe an actual death is required to establish that something has the potential to kill. I find it foolish to ignore the possibility until proven wrong by tragedy.

That incident was luck of the draw. That cabin just happened to be empty. There were 50 people on those gondolas when it happened. I wonder how many of them are going to ride the gondolas again?
According to the operator the system was in the process of being cleared of passengers due to high winds so it may not have been luck of the draw that it was empty. It may have been returning to wherever they store the empty cabins during a storm. According to the story the empty cabin blew into a tower causing it to detach. I’m no expert but I would assume an empty cabin would blow around more than one weighed down by passengers.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom