Disney Skyliner shutdown and evacuation - October 6 2019

GoofGoof

Premium Member
If your takeway from my post was that I was advocating the banning of cellphones, then you misunderstood.

I am saying that due to the nature of countless people not caring about the correct use of 911, the Skyliner will always be at risk (during even what may have been a relatively brief stoppage) of quickly cascading into mayhem through one person's careless 911 call claiming some sort of emergency, medical or otherwise, because they think it will get them off faster (or get the line moving again) than using the in-cab callbox. People are that way, and they are going to be that way, whether a layperson wishes to give people the benefit of the doubt or not. (For anyone who doesn't want to believe that, I would recommend requesting a tour of your local 911 center and asking if they will allow you to plug in with an operator and listen for maybe a half shift or even a full shift, possibly contingent on a background check and completing a "confidentiality agreement". Depending on the agency, they may or may not allow that...Our local police "explorers", who had already passed background checks, were the only non-agency "outsiders" who were allowed to plug in to listen at my particular site.)

I am saying that there isn't anything that Disney can reasonably do to outright prevent that. They can attempt to decrease the likelyhood through information signs and frequent callbox updates, but again...it only takes one.

The only thing they can do, since they obviously cannot control the use of cellphones (and I don't believe anyone else is advocating that here either) is to attempt to keep the line moving...or at least maintain continuous signs of forward progress. Period.

If they cannot do that (no matter the reason), especially on a hot day, then they will quickly have a serious problem on their hands.
I get what you are saying. While you can’t do anything to stop everyone I do think it’s possible to reduce the number of people who would call 911 with more instructions on what to do and better communication. Listening to some of the 911 calls released at least some of the people were calling due to a lack of communication with Disney.

Last edited:

Mem11

I am unable to watch the video but,

I know she has some fears and phobias, anyone that watches that channel knows it. But they are very nice people and her fears are warranted.

First she is pregnant. Her concerns for the monorail and skyliner are reasonable for a pregnant woman. The buses, well you got me there. Maybe because she may have stand? Given that people nowadays lack manners and would gladly watch a pregnant woman fall on the floor, I could understand that.

No one is trying to shame or fault her for her fears - They are what they are. I was pointing out to the person that quoted statistics on how safe this form of transportation is, that it doesn't matter to people with these types of fears. This incident will just heighten those fears for those that have them.

joelkfla

One also has climate control and music, so long as fuel is sufficient to start the vehicle and run it often enough.
Can't do a whole lot about climate control, but even in Skyliner, you can always whip out your earbuds and listen to your choice of streaming music on your phone. (With prices starting under $20, there's no reason not to carry a backup battery at WDW.)

Victor Kelly

No one is trying to shame or fault her for her fears - They are what they are. I was pointing out to the person that quoted statistics on how safe this form of transportation is, that it doesn't matter to people with these types of fears. This incident will just heighten those fears for those that have them.
Not saying you were shaming her, you were not even close. And you are correct, numbers can be quoted all day but the incident will keep people from using the Skyliner.

I have mild claustrophobia, so getting on one and it stopping is more a concern than fear. Not thrilled with heights but I have ziplined 300 feet over the ground.

I think people's concerns are indeed warrented for the Skyliner right now. Disney flubbed, made a gamble and lost. Now they are trying to save face.

I may ride it once all the way through for kicks but I prefer driving myself to and fro.

donsullivan

Premium Member

Then those with those types of fears or phobias should choose a different resort and/or alternate methods of transportation or rent a car and transport yourself if you require having total control over your transportation. If you know you are prone to these reactions then choosing this, and imposing the impact on all other guests is absolutely never okay and nothing will ever justify that.

Mem11

Then those with those types of fears or phobias should choose a different resort and/or alternate methods of transportation or rent a car and transport yourself if you require having total control over your transportation. If you know you are prone to these reactions then choosing this, and imposing the impact on all other guests is absolutely never okay and nothing will ever justify that.

In a perfect world, that would be the best solution and there are many who know about this incident who will do that. However, many with these fears will want to give it a try anyway, thinking they can handle it. Some will succumb to peer pressure from others who will convince them that they'll love it - It's Disney.

I think it's just going to be a fact that there will be people riding the skyliner who will have these fears and will panic if they are stopped for more than a few minutes.

Incomudro

Can't do a whole lot about climate control, but even in Skyliner, you can always whip out your earbuds and listen to your choice of streaming music on your phone. (With prices starting under $20, there's no reason not to carry a backup battery at WDW.)

Yeah... I don't bring my earbuds into the park - as I don't anticipate any situation where I am going to be tuning into my own music.
The only reason I even bring my phone is for taking pictures and staying in contact with the family.

Incomudro

In a perfect world, that would be the best solution and there are many who know about this incident who will do that. However, many with these fears will want to give it a try anyway, thinking they can handle it. Some will succumb to peer pressure from others who will convince them that they'll love it - It's Disney.

I think it's just going to be a fact that there will be people riding the skyliner who will have these fears and will panic if they are stopped for more than a few minutes.

Correct.
There will absolutely be guests who will push themselves onto the Skyliner - as well as be coaxed onto it because they are with friends and family. Just as some people will get on rides that they might otherwise not get on.
That's the nature of vacation and the nature of travelling in groups.

The_Jobu

198 average male??? Good grief!
The average female outweighs me, a 5'11" 56 year old male.

Brah, do you even lift brah?

347029.jpg

Calmdownnow

You obviously weren't in Atlanta when thousands were stranded on the I during their "snow storm" lol. Emergency services were just as helpless as everyone else...
No, I wasn't in Atlanta, but in my previous professional life (in the UK) I managed the comms in at least 6 incidents where major freeway/motorway crashes or weather incidents closed the road and left thousands of motorists stranded for many hours at a time. We knew that a good comms operation using public radio stations and social media posts on a frequent basis kept people calm and advised them of when and when not it was appropriate to use the 911/999 emergency services number. Best practice has been well-known for several years in this field. Boston adopted best practice in the terrorist incident some years ago. I am sad if Atlanta didn't follow best practice in the incident you quote and equally sad that WDW also didn't during the Skyliner incident.

Goofyernmost

I guess I will have to point out that I once again assumed that people would realize that I was undercutting what I thought might be an average weight to make a point. If it were 150 per person, a number I drew directly out of my butt, it would be the minimum of 1500 lbs. 10 X 150 = 1500. It was in a response to someone asking what each Gondola would safely hold, weight wise. Someone had mentioned the possibility of a 450 pound man in a wheelchair or scooter. The likelihood of that is slim to not at all, but, someone that size would take up a lot of room especially with the mobility device. So, nothing to worry about... they got if covered.

VaderTron

I guess I will have to point out that I once again assumed that people would realize that I was undercutting what I thought might be an average weight to make a point. If it were 150 per person, a number I drew directly out of my butt, it would be the minimum of 1500 lbs. 10 X 150 = 1500. It was in a response to someone asking what each Gondola would safely hold, weight wise. Someone had mentioned the possibility of a 450 pound man in a wheelchair or scooter. The likelihood of that is slim to not at all, but, someone that size would take up a lot of room especially with the mobility device. So, nothing to worry about... they got if covered.

I never asked about the weight limit of the gondolas. I was talking about the challenge of using a boom lift as an evacuation option if the person needing rescued would be a 479lbs individual in a scooter. The hyperbole discussed the boom operator using a scientific calculator to determine the weight limits allowed by the angle of the boom lift and the hope that the scooter occupant would be honest about their weight instead of trying to save face by providing a lower number (350lbs).

This is a general request, not just to this poster: Please read thoroughly what you plan to reply to and ensure you understand. That will allow for a more enjoyable forum experience for everyone. No one wants to read explanations.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom