Disney Shuts Down LucasArts

the.dreamfinder

KVOBb9m.jpg

Ignohippo

The Lego Star Wars games are licensed products already and are made by Travellers Tales, which is now owned by Warner Bros. The last Lego Star Wars game was Lego Star Wars 3 the Clone Wars, which is already out.

New Lego Star wars games by Warner Bros are not out of the question either, as Disney just licensed Marvel charcaters to them for a new game called Lego Marvel Super Heroes, despite the fact Warner Bros owns DC comics and also put out a Lego Batman 2: DC Super Heroes last year.

The simple fact is Lego video games are licenses to make money and Disney likes money, so I would expect to see a Lego star Wars game to with Episode 7/8/9.

A Lego Star Wars game featuring the Expanded Universe is in development (which is what I was referring to) as the next Lego Star Wars game. As I said in my post, the EU is now largely irrelevant (and more than likely contrary to where LF is going with the franchise), so I'm surprised we haven't heard of it being cancelled yet.

Ignohippo

So much for disney staying out of their division's business.

I think this may be an unfair assessment. Disney has stayed out of the way of every other company they've purchased recently.

The closing of LucasArts and the cancellation of The Clone Wars tv series is more than likely being done by Kathleen Kennedy at LucasFilm. These projects (1313 and The Clone Wars) simply don't fit with where she's trying to take the franchise.

Disney would obviously love to have TCW for DisneyXD. There's no way they would kill the series. It had to have been done by LucasFilm.

1313 is also more than likely contrary to the Boba Fett movie they will be developing. As goes 1313, so goes LucasArts.

erasure fan1

Disney would have neutered it (1313) to the point of lunacy ... you want a good dark game, look for the new GTA V, Dead Space, or Bioshock Infinite (great game btw).
I agree Disney would have had it stripped it down to a E for everyone rating. My overall point was that Disney is going to play this thing too safe. I want a star wars game that isn't for a 7yr old and Disney probably won't let that happen anytime soon. I don't need grand theft star wars but something with some meat on it would be nice.

For once I agree with Jimmy ... Lucas has turned out mediocre games for the last 15 years ... Outlaw was junk, Armed and Dagerouus, weak, Battlefront, Republic Commando, Empire at War, Knights of the Old Republic ... all mediocre at best,
I agree that Lucas hasn't turned out a ton of great games as of late but to say battlefront was mediocre, I think most would disagree. And to call knights of the old republic mediocre, that's not even a debate in my mind. It won just about every major game of the year award and was voted to the top 100 games of all time. You also can't leave out the jedi knight series, all 3 are rated very highly. Star wars games can be great, and just because Lucas didn't do great things with every game doesn't mean the answer is shut AAA games down completely.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I agree that Lucas hasn't turned out a ton of great games as of late but to say battlefront was mediocre, I think most would disagree. And to call knights of the old republic mediocre, that's not even a debate in my mind. It won just about every major game of the year award and was voted to the top 100 games of all time. You also can't leave out the jedi knight series, all 3 are rated very highly. Star wars games can be great, and just because Lucas didn't do great things with every game doesn't mean the answer is shut AAA games down completely.
If you are referring to the MMORP game, was that not done by Bioware with LucasArs listed just as a publisher? Also, the last Jedi Knight game came out a decade ago. As of late, not much has come out of Lucasarts that was wroth much fanfare.

erasure fan1

If you are referring to the MMORP game, was that not done by Bioware with LucasArs listed just as a publisher? Also, the last Jedi Knight game came out a decade ago. As of late, not much has come out of Lucasarts that was wroth much fanfare.
no not the old republic, knights of the old republic. janoimagine said Lucas arts hadn't released anything in the last 15 years that wasn't mediocre and all the games I mention are within that time. You are correct about the lack of "fanfare" with Lucasarts as of late, but why? Maybe its not giving the fans what they want. Did the fan base really want the old republic? Not really, they wanted knights of the old republic 3. They wanted battlefront 3, not 3 stripped down PSP/DS titles. Go back and look at the most popular/best rated games and you will see that nothing has been done with any of them as off late.

Ignohippo

no not the old republic, knights of the old republic. janoimagine said Lucas arts hadn't released anything in the last 15 years that wasn't mediocre and all the games I mention are within that time. You are correct about the lack of "fanfare" with Lucasarts as of late, but why? Maybe its not giving the fans what they want. Did the fan base really want the old republic? Not really, they wanted knights of the old republic 3. They wanted battlefront 3, not 3 stripped down PSP/DS titles. Go back and look at the most popular/best rated games and you will see that nothing has been done with any of them as off late.

You're exactly right. People don't want the things they've put out for the last decade. We want good games based on the Star Wars movies we all know and love. Not Expanded Universe stuff and not iffy product like Kinect Star Wars. The fact is, none of the SW console games were very good. They were playable, but nowhere near as good as they should have been.

I still wish they'd release a home version of the Star Wars Trilogy game Sega put out in the arcades. It had everything you'd want in a Original Trilogy SW video game. If it's done well enough, they could then do a Prequel version of the same game.

Powerline

Decisions with Star Wars certainly haven't gained Disney anymore fans, but from a business stand point it's nothing shocking I suppose.

All I'm concerned with are the new star wars FPS, and it's feasible that another dev could pick those up.

erasure fan1

Not Expanded Universe stuff and not iffy product like Kinect Star Wars. The fact is, none of the SW console games were very good.
I don't think the expanded universe is the problem, some of the best games came from that. You are right about the stuff like kinect though. I just want a great game. I use knights of the old republic as a great example. Basically Lucas gave Bioware complete control to make the game they wanted to make. They just had to follow the rules of the universe I guess you could say. What was the result? One of the top 100 games of all time and the most acclaimed star wars game of all time.

I still wish they'd release a home version of the Star Wars Trilogy game Sega put out in the arcades. It had everything you'd want in a Original Trilogy SW video game. If it's done well enough, they could then do a Prequel version of the same game.
Funny you say that as that was a game that I thought could have kept the dreamcast relevant. That game at the time (I believe) would have defenitly moved systems and made the dreamcast a must have. Would it have stopped the PS1? No, not a chance. But maybe it could have given them more life to make a run at the next generation of systems. The funny thing is that you can make a good comparison of Lucas arts and sega. If you don't give the fans what they want, its the short road to being irrelevant.

epcotWSC

KOTOR wasn't based on the movies at all. It's all expanded universe type stuff. I'm not even that big of a Star Wars fan and I loved KOTOR. SWTOR was a failure, but KOTOR was fantastic.

erasure fan1

It looks like EA might be picking up the reins of Battlefront.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/ea-teases-new-star-wars-battlefront-game-6408642
I did see that. It really seems like a no brainer though, as the fans have been wanting it for a looooooong time. Unfortunately the gloom and doomer in me is a bit skeptical about it. The reason is, EA loves to take a popular franchise and make it a generic sequel factory. I am just afraid that this is a move based on exploitation more than continuing a great series.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom