Disney Shuts Down LucasArts

l4dybu6

Agreed, it would have been a cool game, but I would be surprised if Disney releases a game with an MA rating, whether it is licensed or otherwise. It is a spot that I don't think Disney wanted to take the franchise.
It's a spot that would have probably made them money, though! I know that many gamers were hyped for this...

Zman-ks

Somewhere, lost on Monkey Island, Guybrush Threepwood just screamed out and cursed the name Bob Iger.
75.gif

That takes me back....

erasure fan1

It makes me a bit mad because they really didn't even give it a chance. Its a very safe move for Disney to do this because we all know how Disney likes to take a risk or go out on a ledge a bit. All I can hope for is that Disney lets the quality developers out there have a crack at the franchise. Unfortunately I see this as a no more AAA star wars titles for a long time. I am going to miss 1313 as well, but look on the bright side, we can all look forward to playing our favorite characters in Disney infinity. (You know its coming) Or Lego star wars 7, 8, 9! I guess time will tell how this all plays out.

StarWarsGirl

I just saw this story and thought, "Hmm, someone has posted about this on WDWMagic." Lol.

Anyway, I'm sorry it's gone. I would have liked to see some tamer Star Wars games. But considering how their video games have been doing, their shutting down this sector is just a sign that they're a fiscally responsible company.

SirLink

Why?

Why would Disney want to put out huge development dollars to produce video games, an average game development goes around 50 million, when they can license the characters to developers who have to foot the bill themselves? Disney and Lucasarts have made garbage the past 13 years when it comes to games. This is a smart move just based on that fact.

Jimmy Thick- hate to admit it though...

Wow oh wow so much incorrect information ... but I'll just let you do as your name says ... and be Thick ... thank you now your going on ignore

janoimagine

It makes me a bit mad because they really didn't even give it a chance. Its a very safe move for Disney to do this because we all know how Disney likes to take a risk or go out on a ledge a bit. All I can hope for is that Disney lets the quality developers out there have a crack at the franchise. Unfortunately I see this as a no more AAA star wars titles for a long time. I am going to miss 1313 as well, but look on the bright side, we can all look forward to playing our favorite characters in Disney infinity. (You know its coming) Or Lego star wars 7, 8, 9! I guess time will tell how this all plays out.

Disney would have neutered it (1313) to the point of lunacy ... you want a good dark game, look for the new GTA V, Dead Space, or Bioshock Infinite (great game btw).

janoimagine

Wow oh wow so much incorrect information ... but I'll just let you do as your name says ... and be Thick ... thank you now your going on ignore

For once I agree with Jimmy ... Lucas has turned out mediocre games for the last 15 years ... Outlaw was junk, Armed and Dagerouus, weak, Battlefront, Republic Commando, Empire at War, Knights of the Old Republic ... all mediocre at best, in an era which saw the likes of Halo, Splinter Cell, Gears of War, World of Warcraft, Call of Duty 4 Modern Warfare, Bioshock to name a few, they got taken to the woodshed. With a killer IP like the Star Wars Universe, their was no excuse not to come out with a phenominal title. The last truly good game they came out with was Rouge Squadron for the N64, but that was mostly Factor5.

They never pushed the limits with gameplay, physics or mechanics ... they were always playing catchup, or just didn't care enough about the game and took the easy way out ... were they leaders in the field like Unreal, BioWare, Activision or Bungie, they wouldn't have been disbanded so easily.

SirLink

For once I agree with Jimmy ... Lucas has turned out mediocre games for the last 15 years ... Outlaw was junk, Armed and Dagerouus, weak, Battlefront, Republic Commando, Empire at War, Knights of the Old Republic ... all mediocre at best, in an era which saw the likes of Halo, Splinter Cell, Gears of War, World of Warcraft, Call of Duty 4 Modern Warfare, Bioshock to name a few, they got taken to the woodshed. With a killer IP like the Star Wars Universe, their was no excuse not to come out with a phenominal title. The last truly good game they came out with was Rouge Squadron for the N64, but that was mostly Factor5.

They never pushed the limits with gameplay, physics or mechanics ... they were always playing catchup, or just didn't care enough about the game and took the easy way out ... were they leaders in the field like Unreal, BioWare, Activision or Bungie, they wouldn't have been disbanded so easily.

Not mediocre, all made money - problem was Disney doesn't like making games and it shows ... they prefer short term investments not long term ... lots of good games came out within the last 10 years out of LA ... non have come out of Disney Interactive.

The bolded part describes Disney Interactive to a T, LA working with ILM on new real time graphical rendering techniques. Oh and they did have a fairly robust physics engine that they had a couple of ccol games for before their studio head cancelled them all per George's arrogance...but hey...

They killed Junction Point ... correct thing to do ... killing LA was short sighted myopic Disney decision that when social gaming bubble bursts in the next year ... Playdom will be killed and how much did Disney waste on that?

janoimagine

Not mediocre, all made money - problem was Disney doesn't like making games and it shows ... they prefer short term investments not long term ... lots of good games came out within the last 10 years out of LA ... non have come out of Disney Interactive.

They killed Junction Point ... correct thing to do ... killing LA was short sighted mypoic Disney decision that when social gaming bubble bursts in the next year ... Playdom will be killed and how much did Disney waste on that?
I will agree that Disney interactive is horrible, (is their a worse word than horrible ... abismal maybe?) Yes, their (LA) games made money, but it was not because they were ground breaking in terms of gameplay, graphics or story, and just because something makes a lot of money, doesn't make it great, look at WalMart.

They made money ... solely on the Star Wars IP ... and half of good gameplay is story, to me, they had half of their work already done, a great story line to draw from, and should have been able to focus on better gameplay, physics and graphics.

In my humble opinion. :D

SirLink

I will agree that Disney interactive is horrible, (is their a worse word than horrible ... abismal maybe?) Yes, their (LA) games made money, but it was not because they were ground breaking in terms of gameplay, graphics or story, and just because something makes a lot of money, doesn't make it great, look at WalMart.

They made money ... solely on the Star Wars IP ... and half of good gameplay is story, to me, they had half of their work already done, a great story line to draw from, and should have been able to focus on better gameplay, physics and graphics.

In my humble opinion. :D

They did Republic Commando was great and describes what you want - gameplay shouldn't reinvent the wheel in a just because way - look at Bioshock/2/Infinite is just a derivative of Might and Magic.

The games you want with the Star Wars license were killed long ago...as the MMO didn't make back all the money...as scared publishers off the Star Wars license ... hence why some major publishers were very wary of wanting to pick up 1313...

Oh and on that note it has been in the work's for a while to kill of LA just a silly short sighted decision ...

epcotWSC

SWTOR was destined to fail from the beginning. Bioware tried to make a WoW clone and didn't realize that you can't dethrone WoW. They also miscalculated in thinking that people would take months rather than weeks to complete the main game and had very little end game content. That was an even bigger disaster.

There aren't many successful MMOs outside of WoW. Everyone else who tries, fails. SW games still have a high demand it's a matter of making a quality product rather than just expecting people to buy a game because it is Star Wars. If instead of making SWTOR, they decided to make a proper Knights of the Old Republic 3, the game would have been successful.

janoimagine

They did Republic Commando was great and describes what you want - gameplay shouldn't reinvent the wheel in a just because way - look at Bioshock/2/Infinite is just a derivative of Might and Magic.

The games you want with the Star Wars license were killed long ago...as the MMO didn't make back all the money...as scared publishers off the Star Wars license ... hence why some major publishers were very wary of wanting to pick up 1313...

Oh and on that note it has been in the work's for a while to kill of LA just a silly short sighted decision ...

Agree to disagree? :D

SirLink

SWTOR was destined to fail from the beginning. Bioware tried to make a WoW clone and didn't realize that you can't dethrone WoW. They also miscalculated in thinking that people would take months rather than weeks to complete the main game and had very little end game content. That was an even bigger disaster.

There aren't many successful MMOs outside of WoW. Everyone else who tries, fails. SW games still have a high demand it's a matter of making a quality product rather than just expecting people to buy a game because it is Star Wars. If instead of making SWTOR, they decided to make a proper Knights of the Old Republic 3, the game would have been successful.

Correct...everyone who was not on an executive level could see it failing ... but is has as a product done more damage for publishers wanting to develop and publish Star Wars IP for games after this whole debacle...

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Why?

Why would Disney want to put out huge development dollars to produce video games, an average game development goes around 50 million, when they can license the characters to developers who have to foot the bill themselves? Disney and Lucasarts have made garbage the past 13 years when it comes to games. This is a smart move just based on that fact.

Jimmy Thick- hate to admit it though...
After I let the rage subside and thought about it logically I came to the same conclusion. The Star Wars games that have come out in the last decade have been fair at best. I would like to see what another studio could do with the franchise.

l4dybu6

:O
For a a star wars game, Battlefront was pretty awesome! Sure, it wasn't groundbreaking, but at the age of 7, I thought it was one of the best games out there...

Ignohippo

The clock must be ticking on the Lego SW Expanded Universe-inspired game as well. I'm shocked we haven't heard of its cancelation yet. It's now irrelevant and goes against what LucasFilm will be doing with SW in the future.

The truth about LucasArts is that, with the cancelation of 1313, there simply isn't anything for them to work on. You can't have a staff of 150 sitting around for the next two years twiddling their thumbs while Ep 7 is being developed and they certainly haven't proven themselves in the last decade to be able to develop anything other than SW games.

arko

The clock must be ticking on the Lego SW Expanded Universe-inspired game as well. I'm shocked we haven't heard of its cancelation yet. It's now irrelevant and goes against what LucasFilm will be doing with SW in the future.

The truth about LucasArts is that, with the cancelation of 1313, there simply isn't anything for them to work on. You can't have a staff of 150 sitting around for the next two years twiddling their thumbs while Ep 7 is being developed and they certainly haven't proven themselves in the last decade to be able to develop anything other than SW games.

The Lego Star Wars games are licensed products already and are made by Travellers Tales, which is now owned by Warner Bros. The last Lego Star Wars game was Lego Star Wars 3 the Clone Wars, which is already out.

New Lego Star wars games by Warner Bros are not out of the question either, as Disney just licensed Marvel charcaters to them for a new game called Lego Marvel Super Heroes, despite the fact Warner Bros owns DC comics and also put out a Lego Batman 2: DC Super Heroes last year.

The simple fact is Lego video games are licenses to make money and Disney likes money, so I would expect to see a Lego star Wars game to with Episode 7/8/9.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom