News Disney Sets Sights on Possible Hollywood Land Reimagining at Disney California Adventure

DrAlice

The character of the Genie made Aladdin more than a "one and done". He kept the show fresh. Aladdin also had the cool flying carpet scene and the Prince Ali parade in the aisles. It was a great production and a very fun show. It also wasn't an hour (40 min.?).

Frozen was too long and lacked a Genie-type element to keep it fresh. Once was enough (and, IMO, not as good of a production as Aladdin). As a family, we actually enjoyed the Frozen sing-a-long show MUCH MORE. That's pretty sad.

ETA: I guess my point is that Aladdin was a great show that many park-goers enjoyed (even if just to sit down and enjoy some air-conditioning). Frozen just didn't live up to its predecessor. I'm not sure if Disney can come up with something that had the Aladdin elements that would keep people attending that show. If they can't, I'd be fine with them replacing the theater with something else. IMO, best case scenario is to build a proper lobby for the thing (as originally proposed for a "phase 2 or 3" re-do) and rotate shows every other year or so to keep it fresh. I doubt that will happen, however.

Last edited:

mickEblu

The character of the Genie made Aladdin more than a "one and done". He kept the show fresh. Aladdin also had the cool flying carpet scene and the Prince Ali parade in the aisles. It was a great production and a very fun show. It also wasn't an hour (40 min.?).

Frozen was too long and lacked a Genie-type element to keep it fresh. Once was enough (and, IMO, not as good of a production as Aladdin). As a family, we actually enjoyed the Frozen sing-a-long show MUCH MORE. That's pretty sad.

ETA: I guess my point is that Aladdin was a great show that many park-goers enjoyed (even if just to sit down and enjoy some air-conditioning). Frozen just didn't live up to its predecessor. I'm not sure if Disney can come up with something that had the Aladdin elements that would keep people attending that show. If they can't, I'd be fine with them replacing the theater with something else. IMO, best case scenario is to build a proper lobby for the thing (as originally proposed for a "phase 2 or 3" re-do) and rotate shows every other year or so to keep it fresh. I doubt that will happen, however.

I tried to watch Aladdin once but had terrible seats and walked out after 10 minutes. I just think DCA needs more quality attractions. Specifically indoor attractions more then it does the Hyperion theatre. I actually saw Frozen twice. First time we enjoyed it a lot and were pleasantly surprised by some of the effects and vocal performances. Second time was more to escape the heat and we happened to be at the right place at the right time.

DrAlice

I just think DCA needs more quality attractions. Specifically indoor attractions more then it does the Hyperion theatre.
I don't disagree. Maybe I should modify my best case scenario.. Super mega-mega best case scenario would be to put in a pirates-quality family boat ride. :)

Disstevefan1

As we look towards the summer and the grand opening of Avengers Campus at Disney California Adventure, there will be some moving pieces elsewhere in the park thanks to the new Marvel-themed land. In a wide-sweeping interview with the OC Register, Disney California Adventure vice president Patrick Finnegan talked about the future of the park past the Avengers Campus.

avengers-campus-concept-art-d23-2019-1.jpg

While Finnegan conceded that fans have been writing in about the retheming of Tower of Terror wondering why Disney would reimagine a classic, he said it was all part of a bigger plan and that Guardians of the Galaxy – Mission: BREAKOUT was always meant to anchor the various Marvel land concepts.

“We knew we would be doing an Avengers-themed land,” Finnegan said. “We had a few options. We hadn’t quite landed on exactly where, but we knew that it would be anchored in some way, shape or form off of this attraction.”

guardians-of-the-galaxy-mission-breakout-8.jpg

While the article touches on bits and pieces of the “DCA 2.0” reimagining, it’s the next project that caught our attention.

hollywood-land-disney-california-advenure-stock-1.jpg

When the superheroes that currently meet and greet in Hollywood Land find a new home in Avengers Campus this summer, Disney is looking at the move as an opportunity to focus on that area of the park next.

spider-man-disney-california-adventure-hollywood-land.jpg

“As the Avengers are moving out, we’re certainly looking at, ‘OK, does something need to move in? Does it go back to where it was?’” Finnegan said of the Hollywood Land back lot. “It’s very much something that we’re talking about.”

Of course, what those plans might be haven’t been revealed yet by Disney. While the space taken up by the current Hollywood Land attractions, shops, and more is substantial, there really doesn’t appear to be much room for expansion that doesn’t involve a wrecking ball. Of course, Disney could always reimagine the space like they did with the Paradise Pier to Pixar Pier transformation.
You know the old saying, third try is a charm :D

misfitdoll

My family recently rewatched all the Muppet movies, and I totally agree that a Muppet dark ride or boat ride using animatronics of the Muppets would be an easy homerun. Because Muppets are inherently physical and able to be recreated, Animatronics that look exactly like the Muppets would really make guests feel like they were seeing the “real” Kermit, Piggy, etc. Use Rainbow connection, let us see all the Muppets sing it together like the finale of Muppets Take Manhattan. I’d go on that ride every single time.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Being based on a film that Disney was shoving down our throats at the time didn't do it any favors either.
I guess it depends on your definition of "shoving down our throats", maybe to you it was overused. But as far as I recall Frozen at DLR was just some M&Gs, the short lived Olaf's Snow Fest, and using "Let it go" in entertainment prior to the show at Hyperion. So it really wasn't being overused in my opinion, at least no more than any other IP Disney has used at the Parks. Other Parks had more stuff, but at DLR it wasn't really all that much, again in my opinion.

MarvelCharacterNerd

Based on the size of HL, I wonder if they will do a land with one theme or do a catch all land with one theme but different attractions like a hypothetical area themed to classic Disney animation. I actually think a Disney animation land (no Pixar) would be great as it would fit in with nearby Buena Vista street and provide balance to DCA for a park that is 50% Marvel and 50% Pixar. Do you they would more likely theme it to classic Disney Animation studios or do it with the modern properties?
While I agree that balance would be nice in the parks, I think that ship sailed with putting GE and M&MRR into DL. They seem to clearly want to distinguish the parks as DL/Disney & Star Wars and DCA/Pixar & Marvel. I get the idea, but it makes for two very unbalanced parks.

MarvelCharacterNerd

I guess it depends on your definition of "shoving down our throats", maybe to you it was overused. But as far as I recall Frozen at DLR was just some M&Gs, the short lived Olaf's Snow Fest, and using "Let it go" in entertainment prior to the show at Hyperion. So it really wasn't being overused in my opinion, at least no more than any other IP Disney has used at the Parks. Other Parks had more stuff, but at DLR it wasn't really all that much, again in my opinion.
Frozen in DL had: the Fantasy Faire show, the Frozen cavalcade float (that's STILL running - I saw it just a week or two ago) plus the huge float in the Paint the Night parade. Oh, and wasn't there also Elsa animation on the castle and making it snow around the holidays? In DCA there was: the specially built meet & greet area for the characters in the Animation Building that replaced other features there, the addition of multiple songs into the Animation Building lobby show loop, the Frozen Sing-along show, the nighttime Frozen dance party that Mad T Party was canceled for, all of Stage 17 filled with the Snow Fest experience that included more themed entertainers inside, and the Hyperion show. It was 100% being shoved down our throats. And out of all of that, only the Sing-along was worth repeat visits IMO. (Well, I still enjoy the Animation Building lobby show, too.)

I loved the Sing-along in DL so much that when I last visited WDW, I went to the Frozen Sing-along that's still there multiple times. lol

Otherwise: hated the Fantasy Faire show (whereas I love both the Tangled and B&tB shows there). Loathed the dance party that killed Mad T. Went to the Snow Fest only out of obligation to visit the performers. And the Hyperion show, while it had a few nice elements like puppet Olaf and the Elsa staircase run/costume switch, was a snooze fest that I only went to a handful of times to support performer friends in it. Frankly, I thought it was a terrible staging of the film. And I love both the film and the soundtrack.

Aladdin on the other hand, I could have gone to see weekly and never been tired of it. I'd drive there RIGHT THIS DARN MINUTE if they brought it back. It was always fresh, thanks to Genie. And it was an absolutely brilliant and quality production - as noted by @DrAlice between the parade and the carpet flight. Plus I loved the wirework bits with Aladdin and the Iago puppeteering, too. And it had the wonderful additional song "To Be Free" in it that could bring me to tears with certain performers singing it.

Aladdin was the best show I've seen outside of a Broadway production. It was way above theme park level. The only other theme park show I love almost as much is Festival of the Lion King because I live for the Tumble Monkeys. :)

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Frozen in DL had: the Fantasy Faire show, the Frozen cavalcade float (that's STILL running - I saw it just a week or two ago) plus the huge float in the Paint the Night parade. Oh, and wasn't there also Elsa animation on the castle and making it snow around the holidays? In DCA there was: the specially built meet & greet area for the characters in the Animation Building that replaced other features there, the addition of multiple songs into the Animation Building lobby show loop, the Frozen Sing-along show, the nighttime Frozen dance party that Mad T Party was canceled for, all of Stage 17 filled with the Snow Fest experience that included more themed entertainers inside, and the Hyperion show. It was 100% being shoved down our throats. And out of all of that, only the Sing-along was worth repeat visits IMO. (Well, I still enjoy the Animation Building lobby show, too.)

I loved the Sing-along in DL so much that when I last visited WDW, I went to the Frozen Sing-along that's still there multiple times. lol

Otherwise: hated the Fantasy Faire show (whereas I love both the Tangled and B&tB shows there). Loathed the dance party that killed Mad T. Went to the Snow Fest only out of obligation to visit the performers. And the Hyperion show, while it had a few nice elements like puppet Olaf and the Elsa staircase run/costume switch, was a snooze fest that I only went to a handful of times to support performer friends in it. Frankly, I thought it was a terrible staging of the film. And I love both the film and the soundtrack.

Aladdin on the other hand, I could have gone to see weekly and never been tired of it. I'd drive there RIGHT THIS DARN MINUTE if they brought it back. It was always fresh, thanks to Genie. And it was an absolutely brilliant and quality production - as noted by @DrAlice between the parade and the carpet flight. Plus I loved the wirework bits with Aladdin and the Iago puppeteering, too. And it had the wonderful additional song "To Be Free" in it that could bring me to tears with certain performers singing it.

Aladdin was the best show I've seen outside of a Broadway production. It was way above theme park level. The only other theme park show I love almost as much is Festival of the Lion King because I live for the Tumble Monkeys. :)
Thanks, I guess I forgot some of the stuff. But overall it’s still not “shoving it down our throats” in my opinion. Maybe it depends on your opinion on Frozen overall, if you didn’t like Frozen it could have been too much. I guess I didn’t care as I could avoid things I didn’t care about like the Fantasy Faire stuff so that is why it didn’t seem like too much for me.

TheDisneyParksfanC8

While I agree that balance would be nice in the parks, I think that ship sailed with putting GE and M&MRR into DL. They seem to clearly want to distinguish the parks as DL/Disney & Star Wars and DCA/Pixar & Marvel. I get the idea, but it makes for two very unbalanced parks.
One of the things that was teased when Disneyland Forward was first announced was a Zootopia land so maybe a Disney animation land could come to DCA. We shall see. However based on an interview with DCA VP in Feb 2020 he said, "There are many things for the future that I have seen that are all super exciting." To me that implies a Hollywoodland revamp is part of what he was referring to and they have concepts planned for it. Though rumors on what it could be for whatever reason have yet to surface.

TheDisneyParksfanC8

Why does it feel like they're just going to make it more Avenger Campus 😐😒
That would not be surprising. But I feel that if HL was going to become and Avengers Campus expansion that rumor would have been leaked out by now. There was an article from 2019 that mentioned a rumored 800 million dollar overhaul to HL towards the end of the 2020s. Also and interview with the VP of DCA implied that they are considering other things to replace HL then just an AC expansion. Though more Marvel could be cool depending on the rides they put in.

disneyC97

Is that stretch of signage in HL the last untouched section of the original DCA…specifically Gone Hollywood, Schmoozies, Award Wieners?
Schmoozies especially screams 2001 DCA.

DrAlice

Being based on a film that Disney was shoving down our throats at the time didn't do it any favors either.
I get that feeling, however my daughter was the right age at that time and that movie was her whole world. It made sense to be there from our perspective. 🤷‍♀️

Edit: I will add that I remember the cast members at the time were certainly sick of it. One cast member working the sing-a-long actually made some disparaging remark to my husband and I about "more Frozen" while we were waiting. I just looked at her (my daughter sitting next to me, super excited to sing with Elsa) and said, "well, this isn't a show for YOU" and pointed at my kid. She looked a little sheepish and then said, "good point". I think the attitude of "too much Frozen" was pervasive among the adult repeat visitors and cast members more than it was the actual guests visiting with their kids.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom