Disney security in retail stores

Timekeeper

And not only all of the points made above, but remember what happens when even a single guest-security encounter is caught on video; it ends up on YouTube. What happens when a CM yells at a guest over the loudspeaker? It gets posted on YouTube and we discuss it here. What happens when security must control an intoxicated guest? It gets posted on YouTube and we discuss it here.

Image is everything, and public image is priceless. Disney pays A LOT of money to market their specific image, to show us what the "Disney experience" is like, and why it's worth years of saving money. Nowadays everybody has a video camera in their pocket, and in our social media culture, our first instinct when seeing an altercation is to pull out the phone, instead of intervene or otherwise get involved. As frustrating as shoplifting is for any business, Disney doesn't want a public image that resembles the TV series COPS.

Rozzie

speaking of shoplifting at Disney....We were at BB one day and about closing time, before heading out, we decided to fill up our refillable mug one more time. Right as we scanned our barcode, a lady just came up and used her own personal bottle to fill up instead. We were pretty mad. Then we headed to the gift shop in front and the same lady was there with her daughter. She started putting stuff in a bag, even in front of CM without them realizing. We told the manager and had security come in the store to make sure she wasn't putting more stuff in her bag. The daughter wanted some type of clock, the mother grabbed it and was going to leave the store with it, then the manager stopped her and told her the register was over there, then the mom told her daughter, "maybe next time." But the lady eventually got to leave scott free. The manager said that there was certain policies and there was nothing they could do.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
As long as that woman was in the store she had not stole anything. How do you know what she put into her purse? If it was Disney merchandise how do you know she did not intend to pay for it before she left the store?

I saw her take it off the rack put it in her purse and zip it up. I was close enough to see what she was doing.

jlevis

I saw her take it off the rack put it in her purse and zip it up. I was close enough to see what she was doing.

That's fine. Were you close enough to know her intent? Look, you are probably right but you accused her of a crime that she, according to your first post, that she had not yet committed.

flynnibus

Premium Member
That's fine. Were you close enough to know her intent? Look, you are probably right but you accused her of a crime that she, according to your first post, that she had not yet committed.

splitting-hairs.jpg

Since she is talking about what she saw here - and not to a LEO or in court - you can probably give her the slack that she was talking about assumption and within pretty reasonable limits.

You're acting like someone said 'I saw him shoot him' and you go back and ask 'Well, did you actually see the bullet hole? Did you see the bullet's trajectory? how do you know they didn't get hit by something else?' :rolleyes:

jlevis

splitting-hairs.jpg

Since she is talking about what she saw here - and not to a LEO or in court - you can probably give her the slack that she was talking about assumption and within pretty reasonable limits.

You're acting like someone said 'I saw him shoot him' and you go back and ask 'Well, did you actually see the bullet hole? Did you see the bullet's trajectory? how do you know they didn't get hit by something else?' :rolleyes:

Yeah, because the two situations are identical. I said she was probably right but me, I'm careful about what I accuse people of in public.

The Empress Lilly

My son works at a major retail store, we've discussed situations where theft has taken place. They have a very distinct order that must be followed according to company rules to apprehend a shoplifter. They must first see the person enter the dept. They must see the person take the item. They must see the person conceal the item on their person. They must see the person walk out of the dept. Then they must see the person leave the store with the item. At that point and only at that point, having witnessed each step can the person be taken. So if Disney has similar steps, taking someones word that they saw theft take place might not be enough to hold someone.
And all of it rightly so!

People do not, and should not, have a right to apprehend / physically restrain other people based on hearsay. If you want to intrude on my physical integrity and freedom of movement, you'd better have a pretty good reason. Somebody whispering in your ear that I [am a filthy thief/have long hair/the wrong skin colour] is not one of them.

Uncle Lupe

The normal employee hands are tied. We are told to alert the proper people or make your presence known to make the person aware and uncomfortable. Aggressive hospitality can deter some theft. With concealed carry laws you it is best not to directly confront people.

I saw empty cards at every pin station that I would visit, so sad.

DizneyPryncess

My son works at a major retail store, we've discussed situations where theft has taken place. They have a very distinct order that must be followed according to company rules to apprehend a shoplifter. They must first see the person enter the dept. They must see the person take the item. They must see the person conceal the item on their person. They must see the person walk out of the dept. Then they must see the person leave the store with the item. At that point and only at that point, having witnessed each step can the person be taken. So if Disney has similar steps, taking someones word that they saw theft take place might not be enough to hold someone. It's amazing how much money my sons store manager plans into their yearly budget for loss by theft.

This is how things are with retail stores where I live - exactly the same. I owned a small boutique for 8 years - we just recently closed. We didn't know if there was an actual law or if you can do what you wish, so we had our own way of doing things. But those I met in corporate stores at the malls told me their rules, and they were exactly the same as what you said.

Oddly enough I've never seen anyone stealing at Disney. Although I usually am not paying attention to other people, I'm just trying to get in & out of stores. I hate thieves so much, I have dealt with so many of them. We had people grab things right off our shelves & run out the door. Amazing that people think this is okay.

Contrast

I've witnessed a few thefts at WDW, it's a sad case because you alert a CM but like others have said they can't do anything unless they've seen the offense with their own eyes and usually by then it's too late, the shoplifter has already gotten away with the stolen goods. I saw one woman steal a load of pins on a cart whilst the CM was busy serving another customer, I expect that sort of thing happens a lot. Disney must lost a lot of money each year due to this problem.

olinecoach61

It may not be a top priority but the mouse likes his cash so I would bet that there are enough cameras and plain clothes security to be effective.

JohnLocke

Yeah as the other person said, even though you saw her do it, it doesn't mean you know her intent. For example, sometimes when it's very cold and I go in a store like Wal-Mart with the intent to purchase a CD or DVD, I've gone in and taken it and put it in my jacket pocket because my hands are freezing while I browse the other DVDs, definitely not the best thing to do, but I juggle it from one pocket to the other to let anyone watching know that I'm not trying to conceal it and remember that I have and always pay for it before leaving the department. After purchase, I'm able to hold it in the bag while warming my hands. So while the actions before purchase can be suspicious, it doesn't mean that there is always an intent to steal.

That said, she probably was intending to shoplift it since there was clear concealment and closing the purse, but as I said before, the best route to catch them is to quietly let management know so they can begin to watch them and maybe they'll reach a number on merch stolen to be banned and hopefully not be able to steal from anyone else on property.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Wow, didn't know I'd be put on trial for stating an obsevation about what I saw over 10 years ago. I guess since I wouldn't shoplift it surprised me to see it happening. I wasn't accusing any of you, jlevis, of doing this. Over and out on this subject.

JohnLocke

Wow, didn't know I'd be put on trial for stating an obsevation about what I saw over 10 years ago. I guess since I wouldn't shoplift it surprised me to see it happening. I wasn't accusing any of you, jlevis, of doing this. Over and out on this subject.

Not meaning to put you down on my part or anything by any means, I was just pointing out the best thing to do for future reference, especially since I just had to learn way too much about shop lifting laws in class over the last year. I definitely want shoplifters taken care of, if at all possible, but I know that's often difficult for liability purposes.

powlessfamily4

If you notice... the expensive stuff is usually locked up behind glass. I imagine hearing peole yell "stop thief" and then watching the ensuing scuffle would go a long way in destroying the image of the park and put a big damper on the magic. I can understand why they just let them have the $10 pin.

MansionGoer13z

I've witnessed a few thefts at WDW, it's a sad case because you alert a CM but like others have said they can't do anything unless they've seen the offense with their own eyes and usually by then it's too late, the shoplifter has already gotten away with the stolen goods. I saw one woman steal a load of pins on a cart whilst the CM was busy serving another customer, I expect that sort of thing happens a lot. Disney must lost a lot of money each year due to this problem.

And now we know why Disney's maintainence and ability to upgrade the park is failing. Filcher's are in the park looting the stores. And Disney CM's do nothing about it. Sad Times indeed.

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
And now we know why Disney's maintainence and ability to upgrade the park is failing. Filcher's are in the park looting the stores. And Disney CM's do nothing about it. Sad Times indeed.

Come on. One has nothing to do with the other. Like any large company, Disney has built in loss due to theft in its pricing structure (as jlevis mentioned). Do you really think those Mickey ears cost anywhere near $15 to manufacture?

And do you really think the animatronics on Splash are failing because some schmuck stole some pins from the Emporium?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom