News Disney Riviera Resort announced

Little Green Men

That is just a concrete square with water in it. I'm tend to be a pixie duster and even I think that's a plain and lazy effort, the pool and the hotel behind it. There is so much they could have done with a Riveria setting and they did none of it.
That’s fair. I was actually surprised how much I enjoyed the resort after seeing pictures of it, but I’m sure others will disagree. 🙂

DonaldDoleWhip

I just don’t feel this vitriolic hate it warranted for it. It’s not any more offensive than Saratoga Springs or any other DVC property, other than just that: it’s DVC.
What’s most offensive is that Riviera’s tall and easy to spot across property, so the least they could’ve done is put more effort into the exterior. It should blend in with Caribbean Beach (even if the theme is distinct) more than with the generic towers of Bonnet Creek.

GF’s boxy new wing (which looks hideous from the Polynesian) and Gran Destino Tower illustrate the same issue, as does the ‘unfinished’ southern wing of Kidani Village (visible to anyone coming and going) that looks more like a military bunker or hospital than an African safari lodge.

Compared to Wilderness Lodge or Beach Club, it’s clear Disney once put great effort into getting resort expansions right. This care added to the intangible value of being at those resorts, while the current approach weakens each resort area over the long-term.

Last edited:

Creathir

What’s most offensive is that Riviera’s tall and easy to spot across property, so the least they could’ve done is put more effort into the exterior. It should blend in with Caribbean Beach (even if the theme is
distinct) more than with the generic towers of Bonnet Creek.

GF’s boxy new wing (which looks hideous from the Polynesian) and Gran Destino Tower illustrate the same issue, as does the ‘unfinished’ southern wing of Kidani Village (visible to anyone coming and going) that looks more like a military bunker or hospital than an African safari lodge.

Compared to Wilderness Lodge or Beach Club, it’s clear Disney once put great effort into getting resort expansions right. This care added to the intangible value of being at those resorts, while the current approach weakens each resort area over the long-term.
As is Bay Lake Tower, Gran Destino, or any of the countless resorts beyond the boundaries of Disney.

How about the obnoxious dolphin and swan resorts??? Art for the sake of art...

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
You’re correct. As far as resort pools go there are plenty of better ones. That doesn’t mean I didn’t like it though, one pretty unique thing is seeing the skyliner across the lake from it. The gelato cart is a nice bonus too. The quiet pool also had the water going off the edge like an infinity pool, I can’t remember if there are any other infinity pools on property though. View attachment 442606
It looks like a cheap beach motel pool. The kind you'd see in every motor lodge on the Jersey Shore.

lazyboy97o

It’s intent was NOT a deluxe hotel, but a DVC resort.

These are two distinct products with two distinct clientele. There is certainly overlap, don’t get me wrong, but it was never intended to be a deluxe hotel.

I just don’t feel this vitriolic hate it warranted for it. It’s not any more offensive than Saratoga Springs or any other DVC property, other than just that: it’s DVC.
Accepting the idea that DVC should not be associated with Deluxe hotels, that then makes the chosen subject another poor design decision. Beaux Arts architecture is highly articulated and ornamental requiring a level of finish that only makes sense at a Deluxe property. If DVC is not supposed to have that level of finish then another subject matter should have been chosen, one more in line with the not-Deluxe offerings of DVC instead of building something that bears no real resemblance to it’s supposed inspiration.

You’ve been provided a few of the poor design decisions, but you haven’t actually defended any of them as good design decisions. Instead you either say “DVC is not supposed to be that good” (an odd point of pride for something so expensive) or “Well that other thing isn’t very good either.” That is not much of a defense.

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
As is Bay Lake Tower, Gran Destino, or any of the countless resorts beyond the boundaries of Disney.

How about the obnoxious dolphin and swan resorts??? Art for the sake of art...

Destino and Swolphin, I'll defend. Art for the sake of art is... art.

Not gonna for Riviera. It is devoid of anything pleasing to the eye.... IMO.

LSLS

It’s intent was NOT a deluxe hotel, but a DVC resort.

These are two distinct products with two distinct clientele. There is certainly overlap, don’t get me wrong, but it was never intended to be a deluxe hotel.

Ok I'm trying to follow the argument. So the argument is that the Deluxe Villas are supposed to be a step down thematically from the Deluxe Resorts? Or that DVC buyers hate theming so this is built just for them?

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Ok I'm trying to follow the argument. So the argument is that the Deluxe Villas are supposed to be a step down thematically from the Deluxe Resorts? Or that DVC buyers hate theming so this is built just for them?
It’s hard to follow, makes It hard to even respond intelligently. Not sure where to go.

Rinx

I think they nailed Riviera to today's standards. That being said, I hate today's standards and, like many, do not like the way this building looks. I cannot comment on specific architecture as I have zero knowledge in that area but I have been exposed to way too much HGTV, unfortunately. All those flipping and remodeling shows do the same thing and same style over and over and over again - and that style is "modern" which seems to be bland, boring, no character, neutral shaded, sharp edges geometry. And Disney's most recent room refurbs also resemble that.

trainplane3

It always felt like WL DVC wing was pretty well done. The outside may not be as grand as the original building but the inside lobbies are beautiful. The hallways off the lobby going to the rooms aren't spectacular though. Not sure why DVC wings need to lack (or the thought of) the personality of the original buildings.

I think they nailed Riviera to today's standards. That being said, I hate today's standards and, like many, do not like the way this building looks. I cannot comment on specific architecture as I have zero knowledge in that area but I have been exposed to way too much HGTV, unfortunately. All those flipping and remodeling shows do the same thing and same style over and over and over again - and that style is "modern" which seems to be bland, boring, no character, neutral shaded, sharp edges geometry. And Disney's most recent room refurbs also resemble that.
Look at most cars on the road or a parking lot. Instead of fun colors you mostly see black, white, or silver. Everyone goes towards a more neutral tone nowadays. I want people to get exciting tastes again.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Look at most cars on the road or a parking lot. Instead of fun colors you mostly see black, white, or silver. Everyone goes towards a more neutral tone nowadays. I want people to get exciting tastes again.

Color Challenge Round!!!...

As a young adult male, do you wear colorful clothes when you go to a park, or are you wearing black, white, and washed out blue?

Creathir

Accepting the idea that DVC should not be associated with Deluxe hotels, that then makes the chosen subject another poor design decision. Beaux Arts architecture is highly articulated and ornamental requiring a level of finish that only makes sense at a Deluxe property. If DVC is not supposed to have that level of finish then another subject matter should have been chosen, one more in line with the not-Deluxe offerings of DVC instead of building something that bears no real resemblance to it’s supposed inspiration.

You’ve been provided a few of the poor design decisions, but you haven’t actually defended any of them as good design decisions. Instead you either say “DVC is not supposed to be that good” (an odd point of pride for something so expensive) or “Well that other thing isn’t very good either.” That is not much of a defense.
I guess I just fail to see how the provided design decisions were negative or really that poor to begin with.

Look, sure, of course I’d love something decked to the nines, something truly unique and exquisite.

But I don’t find the property to be overtly offensive in the slightest, I don’t find the architectural details to be of any particular note (good or bad), it serves its intended purpose, to allow folks that wish to buy at the property and consequently into the DVC program an ability to do so.

Dislike it if you will, it’s not going anywhere, it’s the second fastest selling DVC property in their history, and will be right there on the north end of the lake for the next 50 years.

But to what end does constantly rehashing the same old opinions (window treatments, colors, and fire escape structures oh my) every time someone comes along and mentions how they like it? The opinion has been expressed and noted, why keep harping on it? Does it really offend that much?
Lord help anyone that offended on the drive from the airport with the monstrosities lining I-4.

I understand and totally respect one person may like something while another does not. To each their own. I just don’t understand the vitriol, that’s all.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
I guess I just fail to see how the provided design decisions were negative or really that poor to begin with.

Look, sure, of course I’d love something decked to the nines, something truly unique and exquisite.

But I don’t find the property to be overtly offensive in the slightest, I don’t find the architectural details to be of any particular note (good or bad), it serves its intended purpose, to allow folks that wish to buy at the property and consequently into the DVC program an ability to do so.

Dislike it if you will, it’s not going anywhere, it’s the second fastest selling DVC property in their history, and will be right there on the north end of the lake for the next 50 years.

But to what end does constantly rehashing the same old opinions (window treatments, colors, and fire escape structures oh my) every time someone comes along and mentions how they like it? The opinion has been expressed and noted, why keep harping on it? Does it really offend that much?
Lord help anyone that offended on the drive from the airport with the monstrosities lining I-4.

I understand and totally respect one person may like something while another does not. To each their own. I just don’t understand the vitriol, that’s all.
When did you buy into DVC?

kwoodfan1

Completely agree, the level of disgust is hard to comprehend. That being said, some say my level of hatred towards the Green Bay Packers is hard to fathom, so maybe building design irregularities is their Packers. Everybody needs a thing.

LSLS

You are honestly proving the point for people. Sure, it can be the same as the "Monstrosities lining I-4." I mean, if you want me to say it looks like a very nice generic hotel, I can't argue. But is that really what you want from Disney? Looking just like every other nice giant hotel around? The theme being simply a name and nothing more? I think a common thread you will see is the people really mad are the ones who remember when Disney spent and wanted to be far above all others. You are right, it's selling, so those of us that think it's terrible are in the minority. Not sure what else to say about it.

surfsupdon

It always felt like WL DVC wing was pretty well done. The outside may not be as grand as the original building but the inside lobbies are beautiful. The hallways off the lobby going to the rooms aren't spectacular though. Not sure why DVC wings need to lack (or the thought of) the personality of the original buildings.

THIS exactly. I don’t understand how differently the main deluxe building can feel compared to the DVC wing.

Once our Yacht Club water view room was overbooked and they ‘upgraded’ us to the BC villa side in 2 studios. But we didn’t want the villa side, and overlooking a service rd. A DVC is not a deluxe resort experience and not for us. We made them find us a Deluxe Resort room. Ha.

In regards to Riviera, this is what the majority of people now want. People are lazy and overweight and hate to be outside so they don’t sweat. So build a Tower, include everything in the tower, and don’t worry about the resort experience or feel, because marketing is now solely theme park commando-ing and not a ‘Vacation Kingdom.’

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom