News Disney Riviera Resort announced

kwoodfan1

In regards to Riviera, this is what the majority of people now want. People are lazy and overweight and hate to be outside so they don’t sweat. So build a Tower, include everything in the tower, and don’t worry about the resort experience or feel, because marketing is now solely theme park commando-ing and not a ‘Vacation Kingdom.’

Fat and lazy people dig towers? That's one unique take, but are you sure people don't want to be near the stuff that's fun to be near? Isn't this why the rooms near Hospitality House at OKW are taken first, or why Tokelau is more desired than Moorea, or why no one wants to be anywhere in SSR? I never considered myself fat or lazy, but I hate walking for 20 minutes from my BW room next to the Studios to the Pizza place at 11PM for a slice. Pretty wide brush on the tower fans, some of us just like to party.

lazyboy97o

I guess I just fail to see how the provided design decisions were negative or really that poor to begin with.

Look, sure, of course I’d love something decked to the nines, something truly unique and exquisite.

But I don’t find the property to be overtly offensive in the slightest, I don’t find the architectural details to be of any particular note (good or bad), it serves its intended purpose, to allow folks that wish to buy at the property and consequently into the DVC program an ability to do so.

Dislike it if you will, it’s not going anywhere, it’s the second fastest selling DVC property in their history, and will be right there on the north end of the lake for the next 50 years.

But to what end does constantly rehashing the same old opinions (window treatments, colors, and fire escape structures oh my) every time someone comes along and mentions how they like it? The opinion has been expressed and noted, why keep harping on it? Does it really offend that much?
Lord help anyone that offended on the drive from the airport with the monstrosities lining I-4.

I understand and totally respect one person may like something while another does not. To each their own. I just don’t understand the vitriol, that’s all.
I care because I sincerely believe in the Architecture of Reassurance.

Animaniac93-98

Accepting the idea that DVC should not be associated with Deluxe hotels, that then makes the chosen subject another poor design decision. Beaux Arts architecture is highly articulated and ornamental requiring a level of finish that only makes sense at a Deluxe property. If DVC is not supposed to have that level of finish then another subject matter should have been chosen, one more in line with the not-Deluxe offerings of DVC instead of building something that bears no real resemblance to it’s supposed inspiration.

You’ve been provided a few of the poor design decisions, but you haven’t actually defended any of them as good design decisions. Instead you either say “DVC is not supposed to be that good” (an odd point of pride for something so expensive) or “Well that other thing isn’t very good either.” That is not much of a defense.

I'm still trying to comprehend why ANY hotel (regardless of room category) that charges several hundred dollars a night can't at least look attractive on the outside?

I feel like the hotel was designed by an outside firm that scammed Disney by cutting down on "details", but still charged for them and then pocketed the difference.

lazyboy97o

I'm still trying to comprehend why ANY hotel (regardless of room category) that charges several hundred dollars a night can't at least look attractive on the outside?

I feel like the hotel was designed by an outside firm that scammed Disney by cutting down on "details", but still charged for them and then pocketed the difference.
An outside firm was definitely involved, but their work still has to be approved by Walt Disney Imagineering. As @RandySavage mentioned it’s hard to find architects that really know the tectonics of traditional architecture but they are out there even if hired in a supervisory role.

lazyboy97o

The precedent now set by Riviera is that Disney can remove moderate resort inventory and replace it with a high-rise new build that charges significantly more and ignores the theme of the original hotel buildings next door.

Can't wait to see what they do to Port Orleans Riverside with this new strategy. :oops:
Riviera ignores not just its context but also itself.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Honestly, within the last week.
My folks have been members for years though.

It’s not for everyone, it works for my wife and I and we’re excited about it.
I am a DVC member. Which is a big part of the reason I find this hotel so Distasteful.

You are right in that DVC is a different category then "Deluxe" but they are supposed to be roughly the same.

1. If you aren't already staying deluxe, or looking to stay in deluxe level accommodations, then the buy-in and cost to own makes no sense.
2. Disney has spent the last two decades adding DVC to Deluxe resorts.

Now, they are out of Deluxe resorts to add on to. So what do they do?

They try adding onto a Moderate resort, only, that won't work at these price points. So....

They say Riviera is totally separate, a whole different theme in fact, EUROPE!!!! "Ignore the Caribbean outside your window please". Except, they didn't actually bother to follow through on the theming. Too expensive.

So, they build a weakly themed, cheaply finished box. Then they jack up the point totals needed to stay, and screw with the member agreement.

It's a huge step backward for DVC, and I don't like it one bit.

Creathir

I am a DVC member. Which is a big part of the reason I find this hotel so Distasteful.

You are right in that DVC is a different category then "Deluxe" but they are supposed to be roughly the same.

1. If you aren't already staying deluxe, or looking to stay in deluxe level accommodations, then the buy-in and cost to own makes no sense.
2. Disney has spent the last two decades adding DVC to Deluxe resorts.

Now, they are out of Deluxe resorts to add on to. So what do they do?

They try adding onto a Moderate resort, only, that won't work at these price points. So....

They say Riviera is totally separate, a whole different theme in fact, EUROPE!!!! "Ignore the Caribbean outside your window please". Except, they didn't actually bother to follow through on the theming. Too expensive.

So, they build a weakly themed, cheaply finished box. Then they jack up the point totals needed to stay, and screw with the member agreement.

It's a huge step backward for DVC, and I don't like it one bit.
To each his own I suppose.

Magic Feather

The precedent now set by Riviera is that Disney can remove moderate resort inventory and replace it with a high-rise new build that charges significantly more and ignores the theme of the original hotel buildings next door.

Can't wait to see what they do to Port Orleans Riverside with this new strategy. :oops:
Thankfully, I have been given reason to believe that Riverside is relatively off limits for a variety of reasons. There are other places that I would be more worried about if I were you. That said, the DVC schedule is relatively packed at the moment, from the new DL Tower to Reflections to one of the International DVC's that have been in development heck for years, we should at least be set through 2023. The next round of new WDW DVC's after that will likely be a conversion or expansion on a property that already has DVC (for instance, I've heard GF being tossed around for both options).

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Thankfully, I have been given reason to believe that Riverside is relatively off limits for a variety of reasons. There are other places that I would be more worried about if I were you. That said, the DVC schedule is relatively packed at the moment, from the new DL Tower to Reflections to one of the International DVC's that have been in development heck for years, we should at least be set through 2023. The next round of new WDW DVC's after that will likely be a conversion or expansion on a property that already has DVC (for instance, I've heard GF being tossed around for both options).

International DVC's... Paris? Seems to make sense, since DLP is now fully under the Disney umbrella.

nicb88

The fact you say Riverside, and not Port Orleans, gives me the impression French Quarter could be on the chopping block? Coronado just got Gran Destino and Caribbean has been DVC’d (even if with a separate resort).

I presume it’s valuable real estate in Disney’s eyes given proximity to DS and other DVC resorts in that area. If we were ever to lose FQ, though, it would be a huge loss to their resort portfolio for guests!

lazyboy97o

The fact you say Riverside, and not Port Orleans, gives me the impression French Quarter could be on the chopping block? Coronado just got Gran Destino and Caribbean has been DVC’d (even if with a separate resort).

I presume it’s valuable real estate in Disney’s eyes given proximity to DS and other DVC resorts in that area. If we were ever to lose FQ, though, it would be a huge loss to their resort portfolio for guests!
They could replace French Quarter with a purple and green painted tower and call it the Mardi Gras Tower! Heck, maybe they could even scrap one of the colors because DVC doesn’t strive for such luxury.

Magic Feather

I said Riverside because the post I quote specfifically asked about Riverside. For DVC, the MO is all about location. Adding more inventory to a location that is already inundated with inventory (thanks to OKW and SSR) and is one of the least popular locations would make no sense. I would be surprised to see any major developments along the Sassagoula other than room Renos.

nicb88

I said Riverside because the post I quote specfifically asked about Riverside. For DVC, the MO is all about location. Adding more inventory to a location that is already inundated with inventory (thanks to OKW and SSR) and is one of the least popular locations would make no sense. I would be surprised to see any major developments along the Sassagoula other than room Renos.

Ahh well that’s reassuring :) thanks for clarifying! FQ is one of my favourite resorts!

DonaldDoleWhip

They could replace French Quarter with a purple and green painted tower and call it the Mardi Gras Tower! Heck, maybe they could even scrap one of the colors because DVC doesn’t strive for such luxury.
Don’t give Disney any ideas! I’m already envisioning a Tiana statue and ping pong table in the lobby, a Pocahontas character meal, and an Instagrammable mosaic featuring the Scottish highlands from Brave.

LSLS

Don’t give Disney any ideas! I’m already envisioning a Tiana statue and ping pong table in the lobby, a Pocahontas character meal, and an Instagrammable mosaic featuring the Scottish highlands from Brave.

Now you are just being ridiculous. Based on recent events, tiana will be put into the beach club and the new Orleans style hotel (in name only of course) will have pictures of bolt in every room.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom