• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

News Disney Riviera Resort announced

eddie104

hpyhnt 1000

It looks fine (just...fine), though I do wonder why the exterior was switched from the warmer beige showed in the concept art to a colder and less welcoming gray/purple. The pops of color from the awnings are appreciated as are the railings and other window details. As the ground level promenades and faux stonework get installed, that should further help the appearance of the building.

But the biggest positive of Riviera over Gran Destino is its smaller scale. GD is a massive tower block and it looks it, tall and imposing and completely out of place with the rest of Coronado Springs. Riviera's sprawled layout and lower height make it much more approachable and more in line with neighboring Caribbean Beach.

RobbinsDad

I agree the grey is a misfire. A cream color would have been better. Overall it's pretty good - a few more architectural flourishes would have been nice but it does absolutely look like a French Riviera hotel.

cosmicgirl

It looks fine (just...fine), though I do wonder why the exterior was switched from the warmer beige showed in the concept art to a colder and less welcoming gray/purple. The pops of color from the awnings are appreciated as are the railings and other window details. As the ground level promenades and faux stonework get installed, that should further help the appearance of the building.

But the biggest positive of Riviera over Gran Destino is its smaller scale. GD is a massive tower block and it looks it, tall and imposing and completely out of place with the rest of Coronado Springs. Riviera's sprawled layout and lower height make it much more approachable and more in line with neighboring Caribbean Beach.
Tastes differ: to me just the color of Riviera kills the vibe for both Riviera and part of CBR. I'm not a fan of the GD tower but I find it blends in a whole lot better thanks to its color scheme. Riviera's colors bother me more than GD's height.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
I hate to double post but here is a video i found of what the rooms are suppose to look inside the resort and personally i think they are very nice.
I visited the rooms at the DVC preview center a couple of weeks ago. They are very well designed rooms. I love the bed pulling down over the loveseat/sofa for example. However, it didn't really didn't have that Disney feel to me. But that's just me. I think they're selling at an OK clip based on the number of "I just spent 40 grand on a timeshare" free backpacks I saw, but that is the most anecdotal evidence I can think of. 188/point is high, but not as high as I thought they'd go. The $8.31/point maintenance fee is the real killer.

alex0c

It's grown on me somewhat. I still find the lobby incredibly dull and the scale of the lobby is too small for a "grand resort", but the rooms are gorgeous no doubt. The outside is a little better than I expected.

I think an underappreciated advantage is dedicated bus transportation to MK and AK. Most (all?) other deluxe resorts either share with another resort or have multiple internal stops.

sfbntpc

I think your overstating Virginia Beach and understating this resort. Also, not sure what you mean by generic hotels. If you mean a generic hotel is something Marriott or Hilton would build, well many of the resorts these two companies operate are hardly generic. So I don’t see an issue there.

My main concern is whether this resort can pull off a riviera feel.
I thought those were condos in Virginia Beach. I live in a neighboring city, but know exactly where this is. Definitely can’t compare the 2 in my opinion.

Lensman

Premium Member
I visited the rooms at the DVC preview center a couple of weeks ago. They are very well designed rooms. I love the bed pulling down over the loveseat/sofa for example. However, it didn't really didn't have that Disney feel to me. But that's just me.
I'm not criticizing, I've been wondering this myself: What would the Disney feel of a Riviera-inspired resort be? I was trying to think of my first visits to OKW or SSR (the other two 100% DVC properties at WDW) and whether they had a particularly "Disney" feel to them vs a "Key West" vibe or a "Saratoga Springs" vibe?

Is it possible for a resort to have both a Disney-feel and a Riviera-vibe? I'd like to think so, but I'm interested to hear what people think this would be like, other than shallow reproduction (which might be what we're looking for, but I hope not).

I think they're selling at an OK clip based on the number of "I just spent 40 grand on a timeshare" free backpacks I saw, but that is the most anecdotal evidence I can think of. 188/point is high, but not as high as I thought they'd go. The $8.31/point maintenance fee is the real killer.
From the report below, I think they were doing ok in May, with sales being better in May 2019 vs May 2018, though not as good as April 2019, though that might have to do with the ending of sales incentives for Copper Creek.

eddie104

It's grown on me somewhat. I still find the lobby incredibly dull and the scale of the lobby is too small for a "grand resort", but the rooms are gorgeous no doubt. The outside is a little better than I expected.

I think an underappreciated advantage is dedicated bus transportation to MK and AK. Most (all?) other deluxe resorts either share with another resort or have multiple internal stops.
Yea I did think the lobby was somewhat small but I did like some of the details that were in it.

Lensman

Premium Member
There is a rendering of it.
There's an even more comprehensive view in the CGI promo that @BeckyTheTechy posted over in the Gondola thread:
CGI promo for Riviera at 3:30 video shows photo realistic Riviera station with gondolas moving. It’s only a couple of seconds but looks really cool to me.
You enter the lobby at about the 1:20 mark.

The lobby is definitely understated and, at least in the rendering, has that "private check-in" feel rather than the "cavernous Las Vegas lobby check-in for 6,000 rooms" feel. Maybe they'll have "sit down at a desk with your host" check-in, but I doubt it.

dreday3

So I have to say I like the outside of it more than I like the outside of Gran Destino.
But I like the inside of Gran Destino (color scheme, style, art) better than what I can see of this resort. I like the rooms better at Destino. And to be honest, I really like the lobby with full bar at Destino. The inside of this hotel (so far) kind of reminds me of Grand Floridian.

Just comparing the two since they are both so new.

No matter, we aren't DVC and I imagine for what they'd charge for a cash stay, we'd rather spend that at Yacht Club.

Still nice!

Yep, just checked, a deluxe studio standard view is $612 a night. I'll stay with my Gran Destino Tower water view for $319, thank you very much! (sigh, why wasn't I born rich)

Last edited:

eddie104

There's an even more comprehensive view in the CGI promo that @BeckyTheTechy posted over in the Gondola thread:

The lobby is definitely understated and, at least in the rendering, has that "private check-in" feel rather than the "cavernous Las Vegas lobby check-in for 6,000 rooms" feel. Maybe they'll have "sit down at a desk with your host" check-in, but I doubt it.
Wow this hotel is absolutely stunning and I really like the interior. Lots of little details and it has this luxurious look to it.

SorcererMC

Thanks for that video because it's far more interesting in some of the details than what it otherwise appears (eg bulky).

Top Bottom