News Disney Riviera Resort announced

SorcererMC

Are you both referring to a lobby you haven’t been in yet?
There is a rendering of it.
Disneys-Riviera-Resort-Lobby-700x393.jpg

Lensman

There is a rendering of it.
Disneys-Riviera-Resort-Lobby-700x393.jpg
There's an even more comprehensive view in the CGI promo that @BeckyTheTechy posted over in the Gondola thread:
CGI promo for Riviera at 3:30 video shows photo realistic Riviera station with gondolas moving. It’s only a couple of seconds but looks really cool to me.

You enter the lobby at about the 1:20 mark.

The lobby is definitely understated and, at least in the rendering, has that "private check-in" feel rather than the "cavernous Las Vegas lobby check-in for 6,000 rooms" feel. Maybe they'll have "sit down at a desk with your host" check-in, but I doubt it.

dreday3

So I have to say I like the outside of it more than I like the outside of Gran Destino.
But I like the inside of Gran Destino (color scheme, style, art) better than what I can see of this resort. I like the rooms better at Destino. And to be honest, I really like the lobby with full bar at Destino. The inside of this hotel (so far) kind of reminds me of Grand Floridian.

Just comparing the two since they are both so new.

No matter, we aren't DVC and I imagine for what they'd charge for a cash stay, we'd rather spend that at Yacht Club.

Still nice!

Yep, just checked, a deluxe studio standard view is $612 a night. I'll stay with my Gran Destino Tower water view for $319, thank you very much! (sigh, why wasn't I born rich)

Last edited:

eddie104

There's an even more comprehensive view in the CGI promo that @BeckyTheTechy posted over in the Gondola thread:

The lobby is definitely understated and, at least in the rendering, has that "private check-in" feel rather than the "cavernous Las Vegas lobby check-in for 6,000 rooms" feel. Maybe they'll have "sit down at a desk with your host" check-in, but I doubt it.
Wow this hotel is absolutely stunning and I really like the interior. Lots of little details and it has this luxurious look to it.

SorcererMC

Thanks for that video because it's far more interesting in some of the details than what it otherwise appears (eg bulky).

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

Very understated compared to Destino.

It's funny that Destino feels like (to me) a Deluxe tower at a Moderate Resort while with Riviera, it seems more like a Moderate Tower even though it's supposed to be Deluxe.

They had to plus the Destino for big-buck conventioneers, so, I guess that's why it feels more deluxe. The Riviera, however, doesn't need grand meeting places and so it has just a one floor lobby.

If it weren't for the balconies and the Skyliner, I wouldn't have second thoughts about classifying the Riviera, in my mind, as a Moderate.

Lensman

It's funny that Destino feels like (to me) a Deluxe tower at a Moderate Resort while with Riviera, it seems more like a Moderate Tower even though it's supposed to be Deluxe.

They had to plus the Destino for big-buck conventioneers, so, I guess that's why it feels more deluxe. The Riviera, however, doesn't need grand meeting places and so it has just a one floor lobby.

If it weren't for the balconies and the Skyliner, I wouldn't have second thoughts about classifying the Riviera, in my mind, as a Moderate.
The Destino lobby is certainly grand and deluxe looking, much more so than the Riviera, as you said.

I wonder how the Riviera lobby will feel, though? Like I said, it might be able to give the exclusive ambiance of a smaller hotel.

Actually, I wonder if what's pictured as the "lobby" is meant to be for check-in at all? I was recently watching a video of the Le Negresco in Nice and noticed that the design has the check-in lobby as a room separate from the "salon" where you might sit and wait to meet someone:

Speaking of Le Negresco, have we discussed it as being one of the inspirations for Riviera? I searched the thread but didn't find anything.

Back to Riviera, one thing to remember is that it is 100% DVC. Those always seem a bit more cheaply built than the "real" deluxe resort hotels, sadly. The OKW and SSR check-in are nice but don't strike me as "grand." I haven't checked in to VGF or BLT either, but I don't recall BWV being so grand, even though I like it a *lot*.

Really it's all in the details so I'm going to reserve judgement until I walk through it myself.

ToTBellHop

So I have to say I like the outside of it more than I like the outside of Gran Destino.
But I like the inside of Gran Destino (color scheme, style, art) better than what I can see of this resort. I like the rooms better at Destino. And to be honest, I really like the lobby with full bar at Destino. The inside of this hotel (so far) kind of reminds me of Grand Floridian.

Just comparing the two since they are both so new.

No matter, we aren't DVC and I imagine for what they'd charge for a cash stay, we'd rather spend that at Yacht Club.

Still nice!

Yep, just checked, a deluxe studio standard view is $612 a night. I'll stay with my Gran Destino Tower water view for $319, thank you very much! (sigh, why wasn't I born rich)
You know you could rent a studio for less than $319, right?

As for the hotel,

RobbinsDad

When were you last on the French Riviera? This looks nothing like.
I haven’t been. But I’ve been to google images, the same place I went to when they first announced this. Still similar from what I see.

Attachments

• A3FBD2AC-4E51-4F7D-B9A1-3EB41E5BBF49.jpeg
    A3FBD2AC-4E51-4F7D-B9A1-3EB41E5BBF49.jpeg
    290.9 KB · Views: 171
  • 0118890D-C65D-4C84-A22D-3AFF319CA935.jpeg
    0118890D-C65D-4C84-A22D-3AFF319CA935.jpeg
    123.5 KB · Views: 195
  • C9FC5601-EC6E-467F-8A3D-87FEEABFEB29.jpeg
    C9FC5601-EC6E-467F-8A3D-87FEEABFEB29.jpeg
    290.9 KB · Views: 196

Lensman

Another thing I noticed about Le Negresco in Nice is that the dramatic skylight in the salon is created by having a cutout in the middle of the building that ends in the skylit salon rather than an inner courtyard.

It would be neat if Disney did something similar with those odd building cutouts that people noticed earlier in the building process.

Aries1975

The Destino lobby is certainly grand and deluxe looking, much more so than the Riviera, as you said.

I wonder how the Riviera lobby will feel, though? Like I said, it might be able to give the exclusive ambiance of a smaller hotel.

Actually, I wonder if what's pictured as the "lobby" is meant to be for check-in at all? I was recently watching a video of the Le Negresco in Nice and noticed that the design has the check-in lobby as a room separate from the "salon" where you might sit and wait to meet someone:

Speaking of Le Negresco, have we discussed it as being one of the inspirations for Riviera? I searched the thread but didn't find anything.

Back to Riviera, one thing to remember is that it is 100% DVC. Those always seem a bit more cheaply built than the "real" deluxe resort hotels, sadly. The OKW and SSR check-in are nice but don't strike me as "grand." I haven't checked in to VGF or BLT either, but I don't recall BWV being so grand, even though I like it a *lot*.

Really it's all in the details so I'm going to reserve judgement until I walk through it myself.

Thank you for posting this video. Even without understanding French, it is fascinating.

MickeyMinnieMom

I really like the look of it, so I'm obviously an idiot. 🤷‍♀️

(Et merci pour le vidéo-clip - très intéressant!)

Last edited:

MickeyMinnieMom

I watched a video of someone touring Destino and the room finishes most definitely look like a Moderate. They're comparable to a Courtyard Marriott I recently stayed in.

dreday3

I watched a video of someone touring Destino and the room finishes most definitely look like a Moderate. They're comparable to a Courtyard Marriott I recently stayed in.

All of the deluxe hotel rooms feel comparable to moderates too, outside Yacht Club's new rooms. I can't believe the decor they use in some of the deluxe rooms, nothing "deluxe" about them in my opinion. Still enjoy them, but nothing impressive.

I think Gran Destino is a step above a few of the deluxe hotels in finishes, furnishing and decor. The Riveria looks like it will be too.

eddie104

All of the deluxe hotel rooms feel comparable to moderates too, outside Yacht Club's new rooms. I can't believe the decor they use in some of the deluxe rooms, nothing "deluxe" about them in my opinion. Still enjoy them, but nothing impressive.

I think Gran Destino is a step above a few of the deluxe hotels in finishes, furnishing and decor. The Riveria looks like it will be too.
Well some of the DVC units are really nice but your kind of right. The amenities are biggest selling point to deluxe resorts.

MickeyMinnieMom

"Disney Deluxes" are a step below most deluxe hotels outside of Disney - agreed. But they're mostly a cut above places like the Courtyard Marriott I mentioned.

My only point was: Deluxe > "Disney Deluxe" > Courtyard Marriott / Destino

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom