Disney Resort - Port Orleans Resort - Riverside

rravindra

Hello All

My family and I will be visiting the above WDW resort in June, 2006 and this being our first trip and I need some advise and tips from you folks who have been to these resort and theme parks many times before

I would lile to know your experience in the above resort and how do you keep kids entertained who are 12 years (twins) and a 7 yr old.

We have taken the 7 day package and would like to know as to which theme parks we should visit first and so on.

We are not swimmers and hence will not be interested in the water parks although they are part of the packgae, can we exchange these tickets to something else????

Does anyone know if there are bus trips to the Kennedy space centre, busch gardens and sea world from the above resort and if so are they arranged by disney as well.

How are the line ups in June ( 19-25), are they manageable or is it over crowded.

Thanking all in advance for your reply.

RR:hammer:

WDWRLD

Disney didnt do away with the catch phrase on their in room tv and guide books "Do It All At Disney" for no reason. It seems no matter how long you stay now you wont be able to Do It All.

Upvote 0

Ringo8n24

Oh, how I wish I was there today to see all the flowers blooming around the grounds of POR, especially the azaleas. For that, I would rather be in a mansion building.

Upvote 0

Stellajack

RE: First trip, advice, June lines, etc

Hi rravindra, :wave:
I feel absolutely giddy for your family, with this being your first trip. Your resort choice is great. As far as what to do to entertain your kids, don't worry. Disney will take care of all that! Others are right in that you need to make sure your family sees all the evening fireworks events.

Crowds in late June will be approaching crushing, but if you plan ahead you should have no problems doing everything you want. I will tell you that there are touring plans/guides, etc that will allow you to see and do almost everything in the parks. One of the best is the touring plan in The Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World (Bob Sehlinger). On our 7th trip last summer, we visited with three teens from Belarus in late June and needless to say we wanted them to see as much as possible. We pulled out this plan and I was amazed at how it allowed us to see and do everything we wanted. Have a really great time!:sohappy:

Upvote 0

Lucretia

Port Orleans riverside!

Stellajack- I have read some of your posts because I saw that you are going to WDW at the same time as my family & staying at the same resort! I was very glad because it seems as though you are a veteran WDW vacationer! This will be my 5th visit, but my first June, and my first moderate resort. I was a bit nervous, since our last trip was so extravagent:king: ! Your comments about Port Orleans Riverside have allayed my concerns. It seems as though everyone that has stayed at POR loves it. However, is it a quiet, romantic, grown up place? I am traveling with my husband and two 11 year old girls! I hope we fit in with the climate of this resort! If you have any words of wisdom for me, please feel free to pass them along! Anyway, even if you don't respond to this post, I hope you enjoy your trip in June!:wave:

Upvote 0

TinkerBelleRuth

There is nothing like your first trip to WDW! We stayed at CBR and CS. I really liked both. We were there for eight days and still couldn't see it all. We thought we wouldn't want to go to the waterparks either, but we had a free ticket so on our last day we went to Typhoon Lagoon...it was SUCH a mistake to leave it till the very end because we had a blast there and wished we had given it more time!

We thought we were going to do the Kennedy Space Center too but, ended up not wanting to leave WDW at all. Enjoy your trip and I agree with everyone else, a good guide book is a must as well as planning. You will save money and be able to see a lot more in the parks that way! :wave:

Upvote 0

brertigger

loriwdunn said:
I noticed that everyone really loves Port Orleans. For those who have stayed there, which part is best: bayou or plantation?
I like the plantation buildings a lot better. They are very close to the main building. Some of the bayou buildings are quite a hike from the main building.

Upvote 0

d'Isigny

Lucretia said:
Stellajack- I have read some of your posts because I saw that you are going to WDW at the same time as my family & staying at the same resort! I was very glad because it seems as though you are a veteran WDW vacationer! This will be my 5th visit, but my first June, and my first moderate resort. I was a bit nervous, since our last trip was so extravagent:king: ! Your comments about Port Orleans Riverside have allayed my concerns. It seems as though everyone that has stayed at POR loves it. However, is it a quiet, romantic, grown up place? I am traveling with my husband and two 11 year old girls! I hope we fit in with the climate of this resort! If you have any words of wisdom for me, please feel free to pass them along! Anyway, even if you don't respond to this post, I hope you enjoy your trip in June!:wave:

I believe it is both...the most romantic of the Moderates...and fun for kids as well. Love the theme of the main pool...

you will love it

Upvote 0

Agent1964fem

We stayed at POR -Riverside last year. I liked the rustic theme . Watch out for the ducks on the way to the food court/resturant. The ducks swarm at you like bugs when you have food.

Upvote 0

jonesenon4

french quarter is a wonderful resort youll love it . as for the parks they will be crowded but get a park map and take a few minutes to make a plan & route stick to your plan and dont wonder aimlessley around park from one end to the other if you do this you will not get to enjoy all the attractions.as for the waterparks you dont have to be able to swim to enjoy the water at the end of the slide is usually only ankle or knee deep.hope you enjoy your trip ill be going in sept 06.

Upvote 0

eroyee

mansions

:wave: The mansions. they are so beautiful. the rooms seem bigger, though they probably arent. we have stayed in the bayou, though, and still enjoyed walking thru all the foliage along the paths. flowers are beautiful. make sure you take the boat trip to DTD. also, rent a surrey bike and go over to FQ to see what its like. theres lots to do and much fun to be had at disney world. dont think you will be needing to go anywhere else. :sohappy:

Upvote 0

dixiegirl

long live DIXIE LANDINGS!!!! sorry could not resist!! I love riverside..I would not mind staying at another resort...but i always keep coming back to riverside....its like home to us!!! WE'VE STAYED THERE EVERY YEAR SINCE OUR HONEYMOON IN 96' (oh sorry bout the caps!) It really is such a beautiful resort..we love the bayou section.....very homey.....yes i miss it..only 109 days to go.......

Upvote 0

Stellajack

Lucretia said:
However, is it a quiet, romantic, grown up place?:wave:

Hi Lucretia,
ALL OF THE ABOVE AND MORE! You may even see a few white rabbits hiding about the place! For those who love this resort, it's really difficult for us to find anything negative to say, ie. Plantation vs. Bayou, quiet pools vs. 'Ol Man Island', carriage rides, water taxis to DTD, etc. Walking from your room to bus stops or food court is not really an issue when you consider the walking you will do in the park all day. I hope you have a wonderful Disney stay there, and don't forget to check your PM's. :sohappy:

Upvote 0

dazzle_em55

We have stayed there before we became DVC members and like it a lot. You all will have a lot of fun.

As for your touring plans, I have a few suggestions. By, read, and follow the Unoffical Guide touring plan. I buy/borrow the newest addition every year and it has hardly ever let us down. We have only run into small crowd problems when we buy the book in May for our August trip and the authors did not predict the early morning extra magic hours correctly. It was only slightly more crowed than we antcipated but nothing we could not handel since we were still there early.

Since you still have young-ish kids, I would not plan anything major at the MK until they have been to Epcot and maybe MGM. My little brother thought that those parks were not as much fun as MK because there are more rides that interested him. I am a believer in saving the best for last.

Another tradition that we have started is see Wishes on our last night. While it is not my favorite night time show it is second and is a great way to end our vacations.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom