Disney reports largest quarterly earnings in its history

jt04

It is almost as if they hired a new sheriff to turn the place around.

Oh, wait, now that I say that I do remember someone mentioning they had done just that many years ago.

:cool:

Patricia Melton

I think they have too many MBAs in the C-suite.

I think another problem may be the current Board of Directors...too many of them don't see big picture and just look at day to day stock prices. I think their influence then infects the rest of the Disney management.

My advice would be to do a round of executive level firings and get rid of most of the Ivy League MBAs they have on staff. For the last few decades, the same schools have been churning out MBA graduates who get into group-think because they were taught by the same professors who really don't know what they are doing. Get some new blood in there from different schools and promote to the C-suite people from more creative disciplines so that those in the "let's reduce costs as much as possible today" school of thought are mitigated by more "big picture" types.

The whole company was started by people who barely went to college and who were artists at heart. A little more of them and fewer Harvard MBAs would do Disney a world of good.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
I think they have too many MBAs in the C-suite.

I think another problem may be the current Board of Directors...too many of them don't see big picture and just look at day to day stock prices. I think their influence then infects the rest of the Disney management.

My advice would be to do a round of executive level firings and get rid of most of the Ivy League MBAs they have on staff. For the last few decades, the same schools have been churning out MBA graduates who get into group-think because they were taught by the same professors who really don't know what they are doing. Get some new blood in there from different schools and promote to the C-suite people from more creative disciplines so that those in the "let's reduce costs as much as possible today" school of thought are mitigated by more "big picture" types.

The whole company was started by people who barely went to college and who were artists at heart. A little more of them and fewer Harvard MBAs would do Disney a world of good.

Highest quarterly earnings ever does not typically lead to a c-suite shake-up.

Jimmy Thick

Looks like Disney stock could possibly blow up.

LOS ANGELES (AP) — These are happy times in the Magic Kingdom.
The Walt Disney Co.'s stock is up 35 percent so far this year, outpacing its media company rivals.
Although many media companies are experiencing a post-recession bump thanks to a recovery in advertising, analysts believe Disney can offer steady growth and safety as the economy heads into murkier territory.
That's because the company has protection against a possible ad slump: The increasing fees it charges distributors of its TV channels like ESPN and ABC.
At the same time, the company's wave of investment in parks and resorts is slowing — freeing up cash for dividends and stock buybacks. And thanks to some renovations, park revenues and profit margins are on the rise.
There's also the small matter of "The Avengers," which generated $1.5-billion in ticket sales to become the third biggest movie of all time. The Marvel superhero epic has more than offset box-office bombs like "John Carter," has helped spawn TV shows, sequels and merchandise —and inspired the development of new theme park rides.
Disney's earnings are growing, and are expected to rise from $2.54 in per-share annual profits through September 2011 to $3.48 in fiscal 2013. That growth — at 17.1 percent per year — is above the average of 16.2 percent of peers Time Warner Inc., CBS Corp., News Corp., Viacom Inc. and Discovery Communications Inc.
One big reason Disney stock is back in favor: its profits are predictable, even when the economy slows. Two-thirds of Disney's profits come from TV networks like ESPN, ABC, Disney Channel, ABC Family and Disney XD. And even if advertising growth cools further, Disney is still locking in annual fee increases from distributors like DirecTV, with whom it is expected to renegotiate a long-term deal next year. The share of TV revenue that comes from such fees is seen rising toward the half-way point industry wide.
"These content fees really don't swing up or down with the economy," says Barton Crockett, an analyst with Lazard Capital. "Because they're less volatile, they're more valuable."
Indeed, shares are trading at 14.4 times the next 12 month's expected earnings, up from the 10.4 times future earnings they were trading at last September, according to FactSet. That's a 12 percent premium to the so-called earnings multiple of companies in the S&P 500, which measures how much investors are willing to pay for each dollar of profit. In comparison, its five peer companies are trading on average at a 2 percent discount.
Disney is better off than its peers because its market-leading pay TV channel ESPN gets three quarters of its revenue from distributors, and just a quarter from advertisers, according to Benjamin Swinburne, an analyst with Morgan Stanley.
A 10-year deal Disney cut with cable TV distributor Comcast Corp. in January set a benchmark for healthy rate increases. Half of its renewals with distributors will be negotiated over the next two years, Swinburne says. That cycle of new deals will help Disney because smaller distributors with less leverage than Comcast and will likely pay "as much if not more" per subscriber, he says.
While a similar argument holds true for many of its peers, Disney's channels have a more loyal following than others.
A recent survey by Lazard and Clear Voice Research asked cable subscribers to identify which channels were essential for them to continue their service. More than a third said ABC, CBS, ESPN, NBC or Fox were make-or-break channels. Disney owns two of the top five.
That kind of loyalty has given Disney big leverage at the bargaining table. Disney has taken the Lion King's share of the $32 billion estimated to be doled out in TV fees by distributors this year with $8.4 billion for its channels alone, more than double its nearest rival.
TV watching has held steady, and could even go up if people hunker down in a weaker economy. That gives the house of Mickey Mouse considerable resilience in a downturn.

http://news.yahoo.com/mighty-mouse-investors-flock-safety-disney-203505014--finance.html

Patricia Melton

Highest quarterly earnings ever does not typically lead to a c-suite shake-up.

Oh, you're 100% right on that. There won't be a C-suite shakeup...but there should be. The C-suite currently there made a lot of bad decisions in recent years that are only now being corrected. Disney has been very lucky, through much of its existence, that there is no real competition out there and that the Disney brand is so beloved. People will buy almost anything with Disney stamped on it. I don't see that changing any time soon.

It's just a shame because with a new, vibrant, and creative C-suite their profits would be even higher than they are now but of course we will never know that because unless things tank financially in a big way the Harvard MBA cost-cutting-efficiency experts will continue to rule the roost over at Disney.

Patricia Melton

What does "blowup" mean in terms of stocks?

Is that a good thing?

Like, does it mean the share price will go way up (explode into the sky) or does it mean it will blow up like a building blows up and is obliterated (like Facebook's stock)?

Sorry if that is an obvious question but I know little about stocks and want to know what "blowup" means in your post.

Patricia Melton

I am just saddened over how diluted the Disney brand has gotten the past few years.

The classic Disney shorts, which basically built the company, are now being aired as hipster recap shorts.

Remember the 90s? What a premium brand Disney was?

I remember in the 90s they had Mickey Mouse and Donald and everyone trying to dress like rappers for a while.

The danger in "remember the good old days" is that nostalgia is narcotic and the human brain has a natural tendency to remember the past in much more halcyon, watercolor tones than it ever really existed.

That's the danger of visiting "Yesterdayland" too often.

Patricia Melton

Good for Disney! Sounds like the Marvel purchase, the two new cruise ships, and DCA investments have all paid off nicely.

I can't believe how genius the cruise line really was. It seems so obvious now, but it was a big decision at the time. Say what you want about Michael Eisner, and there is room for criticism to be sure, but that was his baby and he pushed it and it's paid off handsomely.

I've never been on a Disney cruise but am planning on taking my niece and nephew when they are both in high school in a few years. I think a cruise would be best appreciated by them when they are a little older.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
Oh, you're 100% right on that. There won't be a C-suite shakeup...but there should be. The C-suite currently there made a lot of bad decisions in recent years that are only now being corrected. Disney has been very lucky, through much of its existence, that there is no real competition out there and that the Disney brand is so beloved. People will buy almost anything with Disney stamped on it. I don't see that changing any time soon.

It's just a shame because with a new, vibrant, and creative C-suite their profits would be even higher than they are now but of course we will never know that because unless things tank financially in a big way the Harvard MBA cost-cutting-efficiency experts will continue to rule the roost over at Disney.

What does "blowup" mean in terms of stocks?

Is that a good thing?

Like, does it mean the share price will go way up (explode into the sky) or does it mean it will blow up like a building blows up and is obliterated (like Facebook's stock)?

Sorry if that is an obvious question but I know little about stocks and want to know what "blowup" means in your post.

Blow-up is a good thing. It means rise significantly.

As for more creative folks leading to more money...As a consumer of Disney products, I often feel like the creative folks don't get the respect they deserve. But running a business is ridiculously complicated, and running a company the size of Disney is infinitely complicated. They are generating large profits while expanding the brand and the footprint into new market areas (particularly with the Marvel deal). You may feel comfortable second-guessing that despite not knowing much about the stock market, but I sure don't (and I do a lot about the stock market).

JimboJones123

I can't believe how genius the cruise line really was. It seems so obvious now, but it was a big decision at the time. Say what you want about Michael Eisner, and there is room for criticism to be sure, but that was his baby and he pushed it and it's paid off handsomely.

I've never been on a Disney cruise but am planning on taking my niece and nephew when they are both in high school in a few years. I think a cruise would be best appreciated by them when they are a little older.

I was interviewing for CP when the boats were launching. The whole company was scared out their pants hoping it would not kill the Disney Decade.

Patricia Melton

I was interviewing for CP when the boats were launching. The whole company was scared out their pants hoping it would not kill the Disney Decade.

I remember reading people making jabs at Disney saying the cruise line would "sink the company" and things like that.

But I also remember this one article in Entertainment Weekly around 1996 or early 1997 that talked about how Titanic was going to be a huge flop that would bankrupt everyone involved and ruin the careers of James Cameron and Leonardo and everyone. I'll never forget that article and what utter horse manure it turned out to be.

One of my favorite things in the world is watching malcontents and naysayers have to eat their words when something they have dumped on turns out to be a huge, phenomenal success.

Clever Name

Clearly, Bob Iger is a genius! From now on instead of saying, "What would Walt have done?" all we have to say is, "Let's ask Bob, he'll know what to do".

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom