News Disney removing plastic straws and more by mid-2019

GoofGoof

Premium Member
That's what they say, but where are the actual figures. And if it is actually 10%...it's nothing because that means that 90% of their electricity is creating a huge carbon footprint.

From an environmentalists point of view, if you consider all of the rules and environmental taboos...Disney is a disaster.

People have been yelling about global warming for over 30 years to the point where they had to change it to climate change because the globe wasn't warming it was actually cooling. You mean to tell me in over 30 years we haven't made more than a few steps in the right direction? And now banning plastic straws are going to save the world? The whole point about banning plastic straws is to keep the oceans clean ....or so they say........so where is the nearest ocean to Disney? C'mon man.
OK then...I thought you were trying to be serious...carry on with whatever it is you are doing here :p:p:p

Lets Respect

I also think it's a really bad idea to do anything that further dehydrates people in the muggy, miserable swamp that is Central Florida.

It's a fact that it is easier to drink out of a straw versus a cup. You really do get more liquids in you in a shorter amount of time.

celluloid

Funny enough, from my childhood trips to Sea World, I remember two things - seeing Shamu, and those god-awful paper straws that were like sucking through little cardboard tubes and that awful taste of paper.

Paper biodegrades, it does not hurt wild life, Mild inconvenience compared to the bigger picture of something lasting for hundreds of years on the planet destined to either eat or entangle things. I suppose they moved away form paper straws decades ago at their parks unless requested. No lids either. But proof that Sea World were the real big movers of that education.

Also, the amount of water consumed through straw vs cup is not what is going to keep people from being dehydrated, it will be WHAT is consumed. That is a choice. That is also a silly fact to say it is "easier to drink out of a straw then a cup" that in itself is not a fact. That is an opinion statement. But besides that, the former point remains.

21stamps

Paper biodegrades, it does not hurt wild life, Mild inconvenience compared to the bigger picture of something lasting for hundreds of years on the planet destined to either eat or entangle things. I suppose they moved away form paper straws decades ago at their parks unless requested. No lids either. But proof that Sea World were the real big movers of that education.

Also, the amount of water consumed through straw vs cup is not what is going to keep people from being dehydrated, it will be WHAT is consumed. That is a choice. That is also a silly fact to say it is "easier to drink out of a straw then a cup" that in itself is not a fact. That is an opinion statement. But besides that, the former point remains.

Exactly.

Does no one ever go to a zoo?!

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I also think it's a really bad idea to do anything that further dehydrates people in the muggy, miserable swamp that is Central Florida.

It's a fact that it is easier to drink out of a straw versus a cup. You really do get more liquids in you in a shorter amount of time.
They are replacing plastic straws with paper ones. If anything people will drink faster with the paper straws because when they get soggy they don’t work as well. Problem solved ;)

DisneyCane

They don’t biodegrade. It’s really that simple.

Neither do rocks. Plastic can be incinerated but if they get stuck in a landfill, what's the big deal? It doesn't "harm" the environment buried under layers of dirt and other garbage. We won't run out of room for landfills for thousands of years, if ever.

The exploding world population (starting in the 1930's) is a MUCH bigger threat to the health of the earth and the balance of the environment than plastic straws and plastic bags.

celluloid

Neither do rocks. Plastic can be incinerated but if they get stuck in a landfill, what's the big deal? It doesn't "harm" the environment buried under layers of dirt and other garbage. We won't run out of room for landfills for thousands of years, if ever.

The exploding world population (starting in the 1930's) is a MUCH bigger threat to the health of the earth and the balance of the environment than plastic straws and plastic bags.

Just a question. Have you ever heard of erosion?

And BILLIONS os straws will not go to landfills. Like plastic shopping bags and balloons, they roll and fly in the wind into the ocean, or into other animals habitats. There are less than a thousand Manatees left from plastics beyond just fishing line. The percentage of straws that get to landfills is so incredibly low. On average there are billions of straws used a day. Most Americans use more than one a day.

Your point on population does not seem to bring up any correlation. Humans taking care of environment do not harm the environment. Our practices do. Those billions of people on the planet using plastics that will be around much longer than any of us or the people in the 1930s. Again, many types of plastic will last thousands of years.

Your argument says the world is overpopulated by humans and that is inherently causing harm, but there is enough room to never run out of landfills filled with plastic to harm the environment?

Also, again erosion. Rocks don't "biodegrade" but they are a natural process of erosion and minerals.

Gitson Shiggles

There was me, that is Mickey, and my three droogs
Seriously though, what do you do when visiting a zoo or aquarium?

I always wonder if people only freak out because it’s Disney, even though they probably visit straw and plastic bag free venues more often than Disney.

Last visit, I brought disposable bottles of water. Occasionally in the past, I would buy one of these sipper cups. Since I never ended up reusing them, I stopped buying them.

534B42D2-EC22-4178-BBDD-91617801ECFA.jpeg

Rhinocerous

Premium Member
Just a question. Have you ever heard of erosion?

And BILLIONS os straws will not go to landfills. Like plastic shopping bags and balloons, they roll and fly in the wind into the ocean, or into other animals habitats. There are less than a thousand Manatees left from plastics beyond just fishing line. The percentage of straws that get to landfills is so incredibly low. On average there are billions of straws used a day. Most Americans use more than one a day.
This statistic keeps getting bandied about. I am by no means claiming my behavior as universal, but nobody in my family averages one straw a day, let alone more than one. What are you people drinking?

21stamps

Other than what’s mentioned above, think about how many times you have an array of plastic bags that you don’t need, maybe they contained 1 item, maybe the grocery store double bagged your milk.. may a take out restaurant have you a bag when you already had a container.. now multiple those bags by 300million..
Reusable bags are one of the most easiest ways to help out.. it’s not an inconvenience at all.

Look, I’m far from a hippy or a global warming nut... but some things are just common sense and so easy to implement. You can literally save millions of bags per year by using reusable or declining a plastic bag when you don’t really need one.
Same with reusable drink mugs with reusable straws.(for the people who must have a straw ..I’m one of these when we’re talking iced coffee). It’s not as difficult as everyone is making it sound.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom