News Disney removing plastic straws and more by mid-2019

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
11 pages, and nobody's used the term "straw man argument" yet?

What, is it too early in the morning for most of you???

vwo9q.jpg

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
Publix will take them along with styrofoam egg cartons. No idea what they do with them after that.
So does Walmart. Most major grocery stores. The recycling trucks of Waste Management that come by weekly amd provide bins to sort papers and plastic. I've lived in Florida, not far from Disney, my whole life. For at least 23 years the option to recycle any form of plastic has been available and provided from multiple sources. Including grocery bags and straws.

awhit066

Correct me if I'm interpreting the news wrong, but are they not planning to ban plastics straws etc. from the parks worldwide?

This would include Shanghai and Hongkong, and therefor help to reduce mismanaged plastics by China (as brought up by some as the "real" polluter of the oceans).

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
So does Walmart. Most major grocery stores. The recycling trucks of Waste Management that come by weekly amd provide bins to sort papers and plastic. I've lived in Florida, not far from Disney, my whole life. For at least 23 years the option to recycle any form of plastic has been available and provided from multiple sources. Including grocery bags and straws.
Quite correct. However, you can not put them in the home pick up bins in most counties in Florida.

biggy H

As a person who bites my straw...paper straws just don't work for me because they get all soggy. Maybe they should focus on bigger items and not the smallest item of plastic. This also makes me feel like one day we are going to all be stuck using "reusable toilet paper" lol

Well you could use a bidet so no loo paper at all...

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
Quite correct. However, you can not put them in the home pick up bins in most counties in Florida.
Ah, I've only lived in two counties. And both of them let us. But there are still options available with minimal if any need to go out of your usual routine as the same groceries stores that give you the bags mostly allow you to return them when u return.

Overall, my point is that options are available to recycle plastic. Reduce use. Or reuse. Getting rid of plastic straws and bags make minimal, if any, impact because the issue isnt plastic being available (especially in the US where disposal and recycling is pretty well handled). It is people not caring or doing their part which won't change with paper straws. Just in this thread people are talking about using multiples where they'd usually only use one plastic straws. The increased consumption will, in my admittedly nonexpert belief, counteract any benefits that may be had.

RoyWalley

"The number of plastic shopping bags
in Disney owned and operated parks and on cruise ships is astronomical
and the company will begin to offer guests the choice of purchasing
reusable bags at a nominal price."
- - - -
So if you don't buy a bag you just carry your merchandise out in your hands and off you go? Shoplifting is going to be at an all time high!! So are paper bags coming back?

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
Ah, I've only lived in two counties. And both of them let us. But there are still options available with minimal if any need to go out of your usual routine as the same groceries stores that give you the bags mostly allow you to return them when u return.

Overall, my point is that options are available to recycle plastic. Reduce use. Or reuse. Getting rid of plastic straws and bags make minimal, if any, impact because the issue isnt plastic being available (especially in the US where disposal and recycling is pretty well handled). It is people not caring or doing their part which won't change with paper straws. Just in this thread people are talking about using multiples where they'd usually only use one plastic straws. The increased consumption will, in my admittedly nonexpert belief, counteract any benefits that may be had.
Its a lateral move done for symbolic reasons. And will lead to inconvenience to the majority of people who prefer plastic straws and think paper are gross or worse. For rather little, if any, true benefit. I'm not against symbolic gestures as i think they are important to progress.

A better symbolic gesture would be cutting out plastic water/soda bottles and selling cheaper reusable bottles and offering filling stations. Save guests money over a multiday trip and decreases plastic in a much greater quantity.

5-10 dollars for a bottle pays for itself after three refills of soda or water. And Disney would make the difference up in profits from one day visits and cutting down on production of cups at restaurants.

Plus, Universal already has all day refill cups and Disney water parks do. So the infrastructure and details are already figured out.

aladdin2007

I never quite understood the obsession with straws in the US... why not just drink it from the glass?

some people don't want to put their mouth on public glasses, I prefer not to in restaurants. Same could be said of course for using utensils and what not but glassware and plastic cups has always bothered me more. That's just my personal preference so I use a straw, I am sure there are a few others out there as well. I have no issue with the paper straws.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom