News Disney removing plastic straws and more by mid-2019

DisneyCane

You act like WDW is taking away your right to vote. If a private company wants to do away with a non-degradable item that, no matter what your facts and figures say, affects the environment in a negative way, I mean, I understand if someone prefers straws, but you act like if we let the great Straw genocide of 2018 happen, tomorrow the Soviet tanks will be rolling in (this may happen, but due to someone else)

Many things happen in society because of public relations. If it wasn't for PR and public pressure, companies would probably go out of their way to destroy the earth if it made their shareholders 0.0003% more ROI. No matter the substance behind the gesture, if they are trying to reduce their carbon footprint, this isn't a bad thing.

But it really doesnt seem to be that huge an outrage in having to lean down in your rascal scooter an extra 3 inches get to that sweet, sweet large Diet Coke.

In the post that you quoted I said that Disney has the right to do whatever they want and I have a right not to buy a drink from them that doesn't come with a straw. I'm still waiting for a factual statement about how plastic straw use IN THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA is affecting the environment in a non-negligible, negative way.

I also like your snarky insult thrown in at the end. I don't drink diet anything because it tastes like chemicals and I have never been on a rascal scooter. In fact I don't even take the tram from the parking lot even when parked as far as possible at the TTC. Don't make assumptions about people and then insult them based on the assumptions.

I like using straws. I can guarantee that if you listed out everything you like to use and do, I could find some things and make a case that they impact the environment negatively. Walt Disney World itself has a negative impact on the environment just by existing. Nobody needs to go to a theme park so why should there be theme parks built in what was wilderness? Shouldn't we "start somewhere" and "do something" by returning the entire property to its natural state? If somebody tried to start a movement to do that, they'd be laughed off the face of the earth but a 4th grader starting and anti-straw movement is taken seriously and treated like following his wishes will lead to saving the earth from impending doom.

lawdogNOLA

We've used the Disney plastic bags to organize our extras from that trip: maps, schedules, tour books, etc. Any extra bags, we end up recycling, like we do when the grocery bags count reaches a certain point. Sadly, this is another of those issues which is PC, yet does diddly squat for the environment. The big problem is dumping things in the ocean, and the USA has not allowed that for decades.

Selling resuable bags? Fine, but not all that workable at Disney. It's one thing to bring reusable canvas bags on a planned grocery run, but quite another to lug reusable bags all over WDW.

HwdStudio

"Everything is unnecessary if you try hard enough." May I apply that standard to your attitude towards straws?

"Comparing the usefulness of Magicbands to a straws is silly." Seems subjective. Disney survived and thrived for decades without Magicbands. I recall everything being fine at Disney when it had straws and no Magicbands.

Look, we could go back and forth with this all day. It's a subjective argument. But the fact of the matter is, this is nothing but a PR stunt in response to a report (based on a fourth-graders report) that the media decided it was going to make the trendy cause.
To some people Disney will always be the villain. Disney can do nothing right. If they do nothing they are wrong but if they do something they are wrong as well. If Disney is such a devil why frequent a Disney fan forum? Just to cause trouble. That’s why.

21stamps

Walt Disney World itself has a negative impact on the environment just by existing. Nobody needs to go to a theme park so why should there be theme parks built in what was wilderness? Shouldn't we "start somewhere" and "do something" by returning the entire property to its natural state? If somebody tried to start a movement to do that, they'd be laughed off the face of the earth but a 4th grader starting and anti-straw movement is taken seriously and treated like following his wishes will lead to saving the earth from impending doom.

I mean, we could ban automobiles.. or we could try to make them more fuel efficient with cleaner engines. There’s a huge inbetween when you’re talking do nothing or do something.

Also, there are many places that have not used plastic straws in several years now

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
According to Oceancrusaders.org:

Pollution-by-countries-Graph1-768x509.jpg

The relevancy of this data in regards to plastic straws is up in the air. But if you want to tackle a real problem, why bother with something so small and annoying? Try collaborating with Musk (Tesla) or whomever and invest in clean air / clean energy. The amount of pollution we breathe in is awful.
Reported for injecting data into the argument.

PrincessNelly_NJ

First of all, when you want to ban something (which is what this movement is about, banning plastic straws), it is on you to prove why it is necessary. Maybe you should do some research. First, that 500 million straws a day number was essentially made up by a nine year old. This was the subject of a USA Today article not long ago (USA Today is far from Breitbart).

As stated in my earlier post, Americans using plastic straws and the pacific garbage patch have nothing to do with each other. EPA regulations do not allow ocean dumping of plastic and haven't since 1972. My lawn is not a landfill. We are not running out of land for land fills and the contribution of plastic straws is negligible to the overall volume of landfill.

As far as Bush Gardens and Animal Kingdom not using plastic straws/lids, that is because littering them in an animal's environment can harm the animal. Throwing a straw in a trash can which is collected and brought to a landfill is not adversely effecting wildlife or "impacting the environment." Somebody littering at Epcot where the litter is cleaned up relatively quickly and disposed of will also not impact wildlife or the environment.

If you don't want to contribute to the impending Armageddon caused by using plastic straws then decline them and don't use them. If Disney wants to stop using them and pretend it is for some altruistic environmental reason then that is their right. I can't force them to provide them but I can elect not to purchase a drink that won't be served with a straw. My problem is a social media movement based on the academic work of a 4th grader and a bunch of meaningless platitudes that aims to deny me the right to use a plastic straw if I want to.

Its just straws.... I'm sure you've had plenty of drinks without straws. They will be offering a paper straw instead, fear not!

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Ah yes. I remember now. Disney Parks as opposed to Walt Disney World. Or was it also a loss of appropriate napkin theme for each individual park? lol Let us start that up again.
I think it was the Parks thing. It might have even been something as horrific as plain napkins with no printing at all.

I paid my therapist quite a bit of money to block out those memories so I will abstain from looking it up.;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom