Disney recycles animation sequences?

Yensid40

Interesting. I wouldn't typically call college humor a reputable site when it comes to this stuff but hey... I saw what you did.

MKCP 1985

The dance scene from Snow White has been replicated through the ages. Maid Marian does "the Snow White" in Robin Hood. :D

Animaniac93-98

It's been done all the time for shorts and features. Robin Hood is just the most annoying through its sheer volume of recycled stuff. Some other examples:

The dog catcher's wagon from Lady and the Tramp can be seen in The Great Mouse Detective

Bambi footage is in the opening for BatB

The joust scene from SitS is from a short called "The Truth About Mother Goose"

I could list more but I'd be here all day, no that I'm not already.

DisneyCanadian

I'm currently reading an autobiography about Walt, and he recycled "bit and gags" all the time. He had about 200+ that he used regularly and broke those down into 31 categories or so.

imagineer boy

I noticed this when I was littler strangely. :lol:

But Disney only did that mostly in the 70s and 80s. I personally don't think the BatB and Sleeping Beauty dance sequences are the same, I mean how differently can you draw a prince and a woman in a poofy dress watlzing?

BrerFrog

I noticed this when I was littler strangely. :lol:

But Disney only did that mostly in the 70s and 80s. I personally don't think the BatB and Sleeping Beauty dance sequences are the same, I mean how differently can you draw a prince and a woman in a poofy dress watlzing?

To me, it has always felt more like a nice reverence.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
I see no problem with this. All it is is reusing choreography. There was really no money saved as every drawing still had to be hand drawn and painted then photographed.

emerald28

I see no problem with this. All it is is reusing choreography. There was really no money saved as every drawing still had to be hand drawn and painted then photographed.

I agree. I don't see how it would save money... also, it's not like they're ripping someone off... it's all Disney's stuff. :)

Actually...it is a big time saver to copy the animation. It allows the animators to redraw the movement without having to put a ton of effort into figuring out exactly how the movement is going to work. Yeah, they have to redraw it, but the majority of time spent in animation is trying to figure out how it's going to move and still look real.

These scenes were already made and known to move well, so copying the movement just helped to speed up the process.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Uh... no it doesn't. I'm an artist, so I know. :lol:

Plus I think the animators do a tracing process to help, which makes it even more quicker.

So am I... (and your point?)

The design process may take some time, but in animation every drawing is simply a redrawing of the previous cell. The animation is already mapped out for the artists prior to the drawing of any cell whether it is brand new choreography or copied choreography.

Animation is simply not just tracing of a image that was already created. The amount of time it takes to develop a fluid, believable scene can take a week or two (if not more in some cases). By simply reusing the animation from previous films, it takes out the entire process of figuring out whether the scene works or not...they already know it works, because it was good enough to have been placed in a prior film.

For those who don't know....

Keep in mind, Disney works with key-framing and very, very little straight ahead animation. The animator first has to act out the entire scene, thumbnail how they think it's going to work and then make their key frames (extreme poses). If it doesn't work or it isn't what they thought it would be or the director isn't crazy about it....then they are back to square one and they have to repeat the creation process. This is very, very time consuming, using old animation actually removes this entire step, thus saving money and time.

Once the animation is okay'd by the director, then it's passed to the in-betweeners. These artists fill in the necessary drawings missing from the key-frames. The entire creative process in making the animation at this point is over....these guys just have to fill in what is already in front of them. Lead animators leave them notes and sometimes even a sheet of thumbnails so the inbetweener knows exactly what happening.

Next....clean up....then....scanning....color. The whole cel process is very dead concept at Disney, you can usually find it at small animation companies that do a lot of television commercial work. Even the small one that I worked at for four years has turned completely digital (bummer). It, like copying animation, is much cheaper and faster.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom