Disney Quest to close in July 2017

THPFanatic

That is so unfortunate, but after I heard the news that they were turning the Cybrolators into regular Elevators with a mirror, I could certainly tell that DQ was spiraling downwards. I just wished that they would've added something more entertaining than an NBA Experience that you could find in any sports grille, or that belonged on the Boardwalk. That being said, I wonder if they will move Cyberspace to a new location rather than just destroy a beautifully designed ride along with the building.

Karakasa

@THPFanatic They already have a similar ride at Epcot in Innoventions, but with far less charming hosts than Bill Nye. Maybe they can get him to come back for a reshoot of CSM and retheme the Epcot ride?

Anyway, what horrible news. I didn't get to do much the last time I went and I won't have an opportunity to go again for one last hurrah. Without DQ, well... That's one less reason to go to DTD/Disney Springs. I don't even have the slightest interest in basketball so unless this "NBA Experience" offers "attractions" similar to the ones at DQ, it's a definite skip.

Even outside of the neat, unique experiences at DQ, the place was basically a permanent free-play arcade. You could stay there all day on a down day away from the parks and end up not spending much more than maybe a 100 bucks per person including the price of admiss--

Ohhhh, I think I found out why they're getting rid of it now. ;)

Grotto123

Found out from an insider that Disney quest won't be closing till 2017 and that nba won't be going in to many issues involving money and what to do with the building .....has anyone else heard anything to back this up ?? Makes sense specially since we haven't heard anything from the nba or Disney since the announcement

roj2323

If this is true it's good news as I have no idea how they could maintain interest in a single sport that's not really a big deal outside of the USA. Now I could see a an ESPN sports bar with immersive themed levels and weekly events (autograph signings and the like) fitting in well in that building but realistically I don't know how that would hold up long term either.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
as a rumor, this seems quite plausible.

The general consensus from different forums I visit seemed to be that people weren't excited about an NBA experience. Although I think it could be really cool as a pure interactive experience, I understand that it is not as popular a sport as it once was, like back in the 90's.

The question is, what else could/should Disney do with that space (other than the obvious ESPN zone)

doctornick

A multi-sport ESPN branded experience would certainly make the most sense to me. Maybe you could even couple admission to such a place to the admission to WWOS (I don't know who pays to go to WWOS, but it would be easy to couple a ticket to both locations which might add some value to each).

djkidkaz

Great to hear. I think the ESPN idea is good but I'm personally not a sports person so anything else they put there should be good. The Disney Quest idea is good but it needed to be updated more often. How about indoor mini golf? Roller rink? I guess we'll see what they come up with.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
A multi-sport ESPN branded experience would certainly make the most sense to me. Maybe you could even couple admission to such a place to the admission to WWOS (I don't know who pays to go to WWOS, but it would be easy to couple a ticket to both locations which might add some value to each).

After the RESOUNDING success of the 'ESPN Zones' yeah that will work. Pro Tip people go to places because of a enjoyable experience NOT because of a BRAND.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom