Disney Quest to close in July 2017

rucifee

Nostalgia and Phone games only get you so far. If you are going to have something like Disney Quest, you can't have your headlining games outdone by a retired Xbox 360. You just can't. It also does not help when half of your classic games don't work properly.

This is the worst part, half of the things at Quest don't even work but they are more than happy to sell you full priced admission. If you were to pay them 1% for every 1% of Quest that functioned properly your admission would be around $2. That would be a fair exchange, which is why it would never be allowed to happen on Disney property.

gsimpson

Too bad, I always liked DQ and really don't care for more 'sports' experiences. NBA over at Uni is closing, supposedly not that popular, the NASCAR cafe closed, I witnessed how popular that wasn't so I don't really understand what makes anyone thing this one will be different.

WDW95

I agree that DisneyQuest was not keeping up with the times, however I do not see the logic in closing it.

Disney Springs is undertaking a HUGE expansion. Why couldn't they built this NBA place as part of the new offerings at The Springs? Why take away something unique and more "Disney" for instead of a scaled up version of ESPN Zone / scaled down version of Wide World of Sports.

For such a large building that has a prominence in WestSide, it seems to me like a mistake to make it into something with such a specific audience in mind, especially when they could have built a new building to house the NBA while also keeping a DisneyQuest type of attraction.

RTeker

NNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! screw the NBA its not worth an entire building like whats in Disney Quest. its a crap sport in my opinion anyways. When I went to Disney thats the one thing I did after doing a half day at the water park, change clothes then hit Disney Quest till it closed. besides whats gonna happen to ALL the classic arcade games thats in there?

CJR

I'll miss DQ personally. It was nice to escape the heat on a hot day while at DTD and I loved playing games without spending money, aside from my AP.

One big positive in all this is at least it'll close with a bit of dignity (in that it won't sit closed for over half a decade like another area that closed in 2008). Now, if NBA fails, well, then...:devilish:

Patti1

Do DQ joins the list of activities that we try enjoyed over the years and miss till this day Adventures Club. The Comedy Club. And the many music and dance venues. So with the end of DQ we will only purchase a park hopper as we don't do the water parks and the mini golf is not worth the extra cost to us though we did enjoy that feature

flynnibus

Premium Member
I agree that DisneyQuest was not keeping up with the times, however I do not see the logic in closing it..
The logic is disney killed the model and business plan for it Almost 15 years ago. Since then it's just been something disney has been milking and trying to get something out of it knowing they weren't going to put more into it. It's been deadman walking for a decade

PhotoDave219

NNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! screw the NBA its not worth an entire building like whats in Disney Quest. its a crap sport in my opinion anyways. When I went to Disney thats the one thing I did after doing a half day at the water park, change clothes then hit Disney Quest till it closed. besides whats gonna happen to ALL the classic arcade games thats in there?

When the NBA is footing the bill for the refurb and a multi-year lease while DQ's revenue per square foot is low? Yeah, its a no-brainer.

All the classic games in there will be sold at property control, in all likelyhood.

PirateFrank

AFAIK, DisneyQuest was never 'owned' by Disney - and please, someone correct me if Im wrong. It is my understanding that it was licensed to and run by a third-party entity based in either Chicago or Philly. So laying blame on WDW/TDO for what this place was, is or never was -- is a little misplaced. From what I understand, it took a very long time to break even and once it did -- it bobbed up and down between black and red for years. There were efforts to build others in Chicago and Philly and elsewhere -- but the financials in Orlando were so bad, they pulled the plug on the other efforts...and since the Orlando venture was barely solvent, they never spent any money to update the features and attractions (which is why it always had a dirty Dave and Busters feel without the benefit of booze and bowling).

It's my guess that yesterday's announcement merely points to a day in 2016 when the license agreement and/or lease runs out. Given that we're talking about a 3rd party, I wouldn't expect this to factor at all into to PAPs. They'll just find another thing to point to as an advantage over regular APs or take away a benefit that the APs currently give you and move it up to the PAP benefits.

rucifee

AFAIK, DisneyQuest was never 'owned' by Disney - and please, someone correct me if Im wrong. It is my understanding that it was licensed to and run by a third-party entity based in either Chicago or Philly. So laying blame on WDW/TDO for what this place was, is or never was -- is a little misplaced. From what I understand, it took a very long time to break even and once it did -- it bobbed up and down between black and red for years. There were efforts to build others in Chicago and Philly and elsewhere -- but the financials in Orlando were so bad, they pulled the plug on the other efforts...and since the Orlando venture was barely solvent, they never spent any money to update the features and attractions (which is why it always had a dirty Dave and Busters feel without the benefit of booze and bowling).

It's my guess that yesterday's announcement merely points to a day in 2016 when the license agreement and/or lease runs out. Given that we're talking about a 3rd party, I wouldn't expect this to factor at all into to PAPs. They'll just find another thing to point to as an advantage over regular APs or take away a benefit that the APs currently give you and move it up to the PAP benefits.

It's wholly owned by and managed by Disney, as was the failed Disney Quest facility that they opened in Chicago.

jt04

What will it be like?

Something on the scale of the new college football hall of fame mashed-up with a state of the art ESPNZone and sprinkled with Imagineering know-how and Disney magic.

Lots of interactive elements and memorabilia. Places to eat and likely broadcast facilities.

Something like that.

IMO.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom