Disney Quest to close in July 2017

worldfanatic

My appologies. I don't know what the TLA (three letter acronym) for soccer is around the world. I used MLS as short hand because they all mean the same to me. (Kick the ball...run and get it...kick it some more...repeat...never ever ever see a goal unless it is a ridiculous shootout)

Instead, an [insert acronym for international soccer league] themed area would be better than NBA.
Gotcha.
That makes much more sense.
Sorry if I came off as dismissive.

lobelia

Where else can you design and ride your own roller coaster? I thought DQ was cool and a nice diversion from shopping in DTD. Yeah, it was outdated and things seemed to be worn-out, but we had fun there.

Sora_Keyblade

I remember enjoying DisneyQuest when it first opened, but it was definitely a shadow of its former self when I revisited it a few years ago. As much as I'd like to see a themed arcade somewhere (Flynn's Arcade, maybe?) DQ has outlived its stay.

lobelia

For some reason we have never run into Sum of all Thrills in Epcot. I remember hearing it was somewhere else which is why I asked.

Is it possible some of the Virtual Reality rides will end up in Epcot?

flynnibus

Premium Member
When MK was fresh... they had an awesome Penny Arcade filled with games of the past...

Ok Disney... reboot the concept... bring a modern barcade+upscale arcade concept to DTD and relive your past of wowing people by having stuff you *WOULDN'T* just find everywhere at home.

Won't happen, but would be a good alternative

Yankee Mouse

Disney quest was well past is prime if it ever even had one,I haven't even been there in six years. However as someone who hates the nba I think this is a terrible decision and I will never go there. I also question why they would limit such a large facility to one genre, but I am sure a major part of the decision had to do with the fact that Disney owns abc and espn who both have tv rights for the nba.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
For some reason we have never run into Sum of all Thrills in Epcot. I remember hearing it was somewhere else which is why I asked.

Is it possible some of the Virtual Reality rides will end up in Epcot?
If they are not going to update them I would not bother. The graphics on those things peak at about 480p.

alphac2005

NBA city restaurant over at CityWalk just never quite worked right… And is closing.

ESPN and ABC are huge broadcast partners with the NBA. The NBA is huge internationally in Europe and China.

It's a much better fit than most people think.

I love the NBA and have to say that you're right, the place never worked right. It's pretty embarrassing to see the photos in the front window that are from when the place opened with players like Vince Carter still in his Raptors jersey.

One day we went not all too long after they opened. Our server dropped the tray and all of the drinks on the tray ended up all over my shirt, shorts, etc. The server was mortified. What could I do? Stuff happens. I ended up with new clothes and the meal was comped. Not bad. We tried going back a few times more over the years, but it just was always off. They had a period a few years ago where they were redoing the main dining room and it was closed for some time as they replaced the hardwood court style floors and funneled everyone upstairs. When I asked of the timetable to reopen the main floor, no one knew, they just said they've been told for awhile that it would be done by now. Not so great of a business operation there. :)

lobelia

When MK was fresh... they had an awesome Penny Arcade filled with games of the past...

Ok Disney... reboot the concept... bring a modern barcade+upscale arcade concept to DTD and relive your past of wowing people by having stuff you *WOULDN'T* just find everywhere at home.

Won't happen, but would be a good alternative

This is what I would like. Some of the stuff in DQ was nonsense but it might be more fun with a couple of drinks. Although the roller coaster ride would not work for me if I had drinks. Better have cement floors that could be hosed down.

Edit: I do not fit in to the NBA demographic either.

tonganprince

Well I have never been to DQ and Def won't go to this place. I loath basketball. (most likely b/c I am terrible at it) Just not a fan of overpriced overhyped and OVERPAID sports teams in general.
On the lighter side, I think this will do great here. I know there are a lot of people that actually do enjoy this. And I think this will be an excellent family venue. I just wish it was more "Disney" This would make an excellent place to have Broadway style shows. Like lion king, Marry Poppins etc.

I was going to reply, but you said exactly what I would say.

LeRaposa

I've been waiting for Disney Quest's demise for years. Video games have come such a long way since that place opened. Arcade's have almost completely disappeared since then. Japan is really the only stronghold left and even then arcades are on the decline there. I'm just disappointed that it will be turning into an NBA place.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom