Disney Quest Going....going....gone!

Clotho

Having just returned from Disneyland and the ESPN Zone there, we wouldn't mind seeing DQ replaced by an ESPN Zone. The one in Downtown Disney California was awsome and worth the time to experience.

Dif'rent strokes for dif'rent folks, I guess.

I really do NOT like the ESPN Zone in DTD, and would be reallly disappointed that a truly unique, widely-appealing complex like this would make a switch to a "out of the box", limited-scope concept like ESPN Zone. I have tried the DTD one on many occasions, it being one of the only interactive-entertainment options afterhours in DTD (I am not a big "sit and listen to live-music" lover, so that only leaves ESPN or a movie). The food always tastes full of chemicals (like someone defrosted a frozen meal for me in the kitchen microwave), the games are often broken or in disrepair and there aren't that many that appeal to anyone who is not a mega-sports fan, and on many occasions I found it to be dirty and untended to (beer spilled all over the tables, empties left for hours and having to move them ourselves...hardly good for a "family environment"--GameWorks is cleaner!). The service has been hit and miss, mostly miss, though I have had a few decent servers/hostesses, so I can't sweep that one entirely.

I feel that ESPN Zone is a more adult concept that DQ, and is also more specialized in its focus--sports fans only. DQ has something for everyone, across different age groups and interests. I haven't eaten there, so I can't comment directly, but have been to many Cheesecake Factories and affiliated company restaurants, and have always loved them.

I would rather see a GameWorks move in there than ESPN Zone, but neither would be my preference over DQ. That said, I wish there was time and budget to add more interactive gaming experiences. I know that a local company, Entros, has worked with them on occasion to develop some ideas, but Entros is less into the computer technology development than they are into really great concepts of teamwork and creative thinking. I think THAT kind of experience would really fit into DQ well!

MJMcBride

I never liked DQ. It was too expensive for minimal entertainment. Of course, I will probably never step inside of an ESPN Zone, but thats OK.

gsimpson

Probably going away sooner rather than later

Like some of the people on this board I like DQ, it is probably telling that I only go about every 4th or 5th time I visit WDW though. I have built and managed large "castle type" arcades on and off for years and DQ is better than most in areas where they have chosen to build unique immersive games (pirates, human pinball, and the now gone jeeps under the floor which was one of my favorites) but when it comes to the more typical arcade aspects they aren't very good. The flow through the facility is pretty horrible, many areas tend to be cramped and make guests feel a bit claustrophobic (a fact which prevents my sister-in-law from setting foot in the place, she went once and had a panic attack), they have many sections that are just in an abysmal state of repair, particularly the older games and the internet terminals. It is pretty easy to keep a new game working, but when it comes to the classics they show a lack of either desire or skill, sort of like theme park attractions I guess. How many times have we all heard that it is "almost impossible" to keep COP going? Game Works, Dave & Buster's, and ESPN Zones all seem to be better in those areas. Since the ESPN Zones I have been in are not nearly as large as DQ perhaps they will do the best of all worlds, convert it to an ESPN Zone but add the pirates, Astro Blasters, Cyber Span Mountain and the other uniquely DQ adjuncts to it.

Ralphlaw

I love the elevator treatment. I think it (or other versions) should be required in all elevators. Beats staring at the floor numbers going up or down. :D

As far as elevator rides go, it was great. My criticism was the fact that you had to wait, and then take an elevator, any elevator, to get there. The whole concept did not seem as open or welcoming as most Disney facilities. It ties in with the fact that we had few open spaces, and no windows. As I said, I was only there once, but that was my impression: Closed in, cubby-holed and unwelcoming.

I also hope that some of the attractions will end up elsewhere, like EPCOT, etc . . . I can't imagine that they will just throw it all out.

hokielutz

Game Works, Dave & Buster's, and ESPN Zones all seem to be better in those areas. Since the ESPN Zones I have been in are not nearly as large as DQ perhaps they will do the best of all worlds, convert it to an ESPN Zone but add the pirates, Astro Blasters, Cyber Span Mountain and the other uniquely DQ adjuncts to it.

If, and I do mean if, there was a change, it may be to a setup that you have referenced. If they do... its likely the business model would change with it. All the games would go to a pay-for-play system. This keeps the restaurant section open to everyone... and the payforplay would limit the overall use of the games to patrons of the restaurant. I don't know what kind of revenue stream DQ has on its own... but the switch might boost overall revenues for that piece of Disney property from what it is today. My guess is most DQ guests are the ones who visit with parkhopper or MYW passes, and not purchased for separate admissions.

zao

This rumor has floated around for quite a bit, no really reliable sources that I know of. Like most of you have said, I enjoy DQ, but it definately isn't something repeat. I went there around xmas time for the entire day. The only things i really enjoyed there was the pirate ship, buzz light year shooting car thing, and the kayak simulation. I thought the pinball was kind of corny and some of their virtual reality rides there made me sick. But what i also think is cool is that I think on one of the bottom floors they have this place where you can learn to draw the characters at certain times of the day. I live only 2 hours from Disney. And unless I had the time to go there for a whole week, would I hit up DQ again. It isnt a bad place, but theres so much more Disney offers, I dont think it will be missed too much.... but i think its stupid to replace it with espn sz.

jooleejul

I've never been to Disney Quest, but hope to stop by there on my next trip (May) to see what it's like. I live in Baltimore and have been to the ESPN Zone here several times. I always felt that the ESPN Zone was nothing special, and gets old very fast. I know this whole thing is just a rumor, but I really don't want another average ESPN club there....they should keep it Disney themed!

lilprincessN

I Really hope they are not closing Disney Quest.That wa sthe funnest place in the (disney) World. I Made a couple of CD's there. :brick: It cannot happen! :mad:

fizzle75

I love to bowl,although I thoroughly stink at it, and I think it would be awesome if Disney put a state of the art Disney themed bowling alley in DisneyQuest. Has Disney ever considered building an alley anywhere on property? Do you think it would be a good financial investment for Disney? Is there enough room at DisneyQuest for something like this? I know this is probably a crazy idea and most folks wouldn't want to go to WDW just to bowl but a guy can dream can't he?:shrug:

the-reason14

bowling idea, not bad!! how about an indoor miniature golf course too, we've been rained out at fantasia fairways twice!!:wave:

I mean they can do something more to it than just close it. The sky is the limit, they shouldnt just call the quits on it just yet, at least IMHO.

jmvd20

I mean they can do something more to it than just close it. The sky is the limit, they shouldnt just call the quits on it just yet, at least IMHO.

From what we are hearing on this thread they are not giving up on it just yet. I will trust what people here are saying and go with the fact that DQ wont be closing anytime soon.

However, if it were to close an ESPN Zone would be fine by me.

cm2k

Disney Quest is a very good attraction for Downtown Disney, however it does really need refurbing. An ESPN zone in my opinion will not be a good idea, and will no doubt not visit it. I hope they come to there senses and put the ESPN zone somewhere else and keep DQ

jmvd20

*If* an ESPN Zone was to be built at DTD how would it not fit in? It is a sports lovers paradise and a decent place to eat. With Disneys sporting complex a short distance away it makes perfect sense to me. As far as not fitting with DTD, are you serious? - DTD is a place for food, shopping, and drinking. How does the Zone not fit in with that?

FloridaRocks

this year is the last time you can do it

-upset-

LOVED THAT PLACE

(they're canging it to a 3 level or some level espn zone)

THEY ALREDY HAVE AN ESPN ZONE IN BOARDWALK AREA!!!

jmvd20

THEY ALREDY HAVE AN ESPN ZONE IN BOARDWALK AREA!!!

No, they do not already have an ESPN Zone at WDW - anywhere at WDW.

Also, there are people here who can be trusted with information about the happenings at WDW, based upon what they have said you will be able to enjoy DQ a little longer than you think.

mickeysgal

A few years ago, my husband made me go to DQ. He's a big gamer (I am not), but I had a really good time. Granted this was pre-children, but I really had a good time. A few years later, we brought our nephews (big gamers at 8 and 12) and I have to say I was dissappointed. A lot of stuff was gone, and the rest hadn't been updated. But my nephews had a blast, what kid would love a building full of "free" games.

I really think that if Disney re-tooled DQ, it could be a success again. I understand one posters feeling of being closed in..it does give that feeling with only one way in and one way out.

Maybe if DQ offered barcoded bracelets, which allowed guests to leave and come back within an operating day, more guests might be willing to spend the money.

Also, (as much as I love the Cheesecake Factory(CF)) I think it is a little expensive and upscale for the kids that visit DQ. Instead, I would put another McDonalds (or Disney run burger/snack counter service)on the "street" level. This way the DQ guests can access the restaurant and it can still get non-DQ business. I would also create a lounge area on the "street" level, too. This would be an area for the CF to sell coffees, cheesecakes, pastries, snacks, and other desserts. Parents could relax here and have a coffee while their kids are playing games. While I am not a huge fan of leaving your kids, many parents do. This lounge could have comfy chairs and coffee tables, internet access, televisons (some showing inside DQ and some showing network TV). I think getting CF out of the building and into the West Side will help.

All that with some new games, refurbed interiors, and some advertising...I think it could have a fighting chance.

But that's just my opinion...thanks for letting me share my ideas!

PurpleDragon

A few years ago, my husband made me go to DQ. He's a big gamer (I am not), but I had a really good time. Granted this was pre-children, but I really had a good time. A few years later, we brought our nephews (big gamers at 8 and 12) and I have to say I was dissappointed. A lot of stuff was gone, and the rest hadn't been updated. But my nephews had a blast, what kid would love a building full of "free" games.

I really think that if Disney re-tooled DQ, it could be a success again. I understand one posters feeling of being closed in..it does give that feeling with only one way in and one way out.

Maybe if DQ offered barcoded bracelets, which allowed guests to leave and come back within an operating day, more guests might be willing to spend the money.

Also, (as much as I love the Cheesecake Factory(CF)) I think it is a little expensive and upscale for the kids that visit DQ. Instead, I would put another McDonalds (or Disney run burger/snack counter service)on the "street" level. This way the DQ guests can access the restaurant and it can still get non-DQ business. I would also create a lounge area on the "street" level, too. This would be an area for the CF to sell coffees, cheesecakes, pastries, snacks, and other desserts. Parents could relax here and have a coffee while their kids are playing games. While I am not a huge fan of leaving your kids, many parents do. This lounge could have comfy chairs and coffee tables, internet access, televisons (some showing inside DQ and some showing network TV). I think getting CF out of the building and into the West Side will help.

All that with some new games, refurbed interiors, and some advertising...I think it could have a fighting chance.

But that's just my opinion...thanks for letting me share my ideas!

I think thats a great idea, since many parents do not enjoy DQ as much as their kids do, it would give them a place to relax while their kids run around and have a blast playing all the free video games. :D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom