Disney Quest Going....going....gone!

mickeysgal

I think thats a great idea, since many parents do not enjoy DQ as much as their kids do, it would give them a place to relax while their kids run around and have a blast playing all the free video games. :D

Especially, since those parents have to fork over the money to get in as well.

slappy magoo

What bothers me is that, were DQ to be replaced by ESPN Zone or anything else, that it would become a pay-for-play area that kinda takes away some of the perception of "plus" features on tickets being a value. Granted "value" is always a perception anyway, but DQ is a nice place to go to when you've just had it with the heat and the crowds and the waiting in line. My wife and I usually went in the middle of our vacations and it was always a nice respite, especially during the brutal summers. Even just spending an hour or two playing classic arcade games, even if we weren't waiting on line on Cyber Spave Mountain or Pirates, was a nice diversion. But we went on a PAP. I suspect most people who go to DQ are there because their pass gives them that option (as opposed to paying a specific admission just to go). As a result, I wonder how easy or hard it is to gauge if the place is profitable or not.

But I also understand how the business model was predicated on it being a franchise. It's why there's no turnover on major attractions-to make 50 versions of an attraction to go in 50 different DQ is far more cost-effective than all the R&D necessary to make just one. Ironic, since so much of us love the MK because of our old favorites, and we kick us a fuss when there's a rumor something is about to be closed down or removed entirely. But DQ, by virtue of it being originally touted as utilizing cutting-edge technology, seems more out-of-date (or, if you prefer, less "timeless")

I almost hate myself for suggesting this, because there's enough of it everywhere else in the World, but what DQ really needs (aside from windows and a good airing out), is more sponsors. People willing to foot the bill to develop new and interesting attractions in exchange for the advertising. I'm pretty sure SOME attractions are sponsored, but if they aggressivly sought out even more sponsorships, the new attractions could breathe life into that giant warehouse of imagination. Then DQ wouldn't have to worry as much about the cost of maintaining the facility. But honestly, DQ is never going to be the cash cow they once thought it could be. But when you consider how expensive it gets to go to WDW, it'd be nice for them to put a little bit of effort into refurbing DQ, and giving people willing to spend the money on a long vacation or annual pass another place to go to where you don't have to pay any more to enjoy it.

mickeysgal

I almost hate myself for suggesting this, because there's enough of it everywhere else in the World, but what DQ really needs (aside from windows and a good airing out), is more sponsors. People willing to foot the bill to develop new and interesting attractions in exchange for the advertising. I'm pretty sure SOME attractions are sponsored, but if they aggressivly sought out even more sponsorships, the new attractions could breathe life into that giant warehouse of imagination. Then DQ wouldn't have to worry as much about the cost of maintaining the facility. But honestly, DQ is never going to be the cash cow they once thought it could be. But when you consider how expensive it gets to go to WDW, it'd be nice for them to put a little bit of effort into refurbing DQ, and giving people willing to spend the money on a long vacation or annual pass another place to go to where you don't have to pay any more to enjoy it.

I agree too, not that I want to see a bunch of sponsors sign's all over the place, but it makes perfect sense, business wise. There are a ton of video, computer, and gaming companies out there, that someone has to be interested in showcasing, their newest technology.

ImaYoyo

Someone mentioned a wristband so you can leave and come back in the same operating day... you don't need a wristband to do that, the procedure already exists. All you need is your ticket. Being around that many bright screens gives me a headache after a while, so I leave to grab lunch at HOB and walk around a bit, then head back in for a few more hours.

fizzle75

Disney Quest is a very good attraction for Downtown Disney, however it does really need refurbing. An ESPN zone in my opinion will not be a good idea, and will no doubt not visit it. I hope they come to there senses and put the ESPN zone somewhere else and keep DQ

I also agree that an ESPN Zone wouldn't be a good idea. I have never been to Disney Quest(I hope to in about 2 weeks) but I promise you I will never set foot in the place if it becomes a sports themed attraction. Yes there are many red blooded american males out there who aren't into sports, and I think turning DQ into an ESPN Zone would limit it's appeal and audience. I think they should leave it the way it is and just keep it updated(it sounds like that is the major problem)and I still think they need to ADD A BOWLING ALLEY!!!:D But then again I really have no right to comment since I have never been there, I just know I definitely won't go there if it's turned into an
ESPN Zone.:mad:

mickeysgal

Someone mentioned a wristband so you can leave and come back in the same operating day... you don't need a wristband to do that, the procedure already exists. All you need is your ticket. Being around that many bright screens gives me a headache after a while, so I leave to grab lunch at HOB and walk around a bit, then head back in for a few more hours.

Sorry about that, it's been so long since I have been there. Last time I went, we didn't get tickets, we only used our room keys/park tickets, and we were told that if we left we had to use another "option" (I forget what they were called before the MYW tickets)to come back in. I'm glad to see that I wasn't far off in my idea, since they already use it. I guess I should visit more often and stay on top of things..lol!!! Games give me a headache, too. Especially the ones with the helmets and glasses...I get so sick and dizzy, I need the fresh air afterwards. I tried to keep those for the last things I did, so we could leave after. (And just to toot my own horn...last time I was there I beat 4 self proclaimed "gamers" in the Ride the Comix game!!!) Yeah me!!!:sohappy: Felt awful afterwards, but did have bragging rights the rest of the night!

CaliSurfer182

My family and I love DisneyQuest, and we would be sorry to see it go. I am not privy to any of DQ's problems (if they even exist in the first place), but I am pretty sure that if they do exist a format change won't solve them. ESPN and its properties might be hugely popular with a certain male demographic (and other sports loving people), but that demographic is limited in comparison to the whole consumer picture. I believe DQ has the potential to appeal to a larger consumer base (assuming it hasn't already), provided that said consumer base knows of its existence. Essentially for DQ to be popular and profitable it needs:

1.) To be maintained (at a certain average/reasonable customer quality level)

2.) To show growth or updating (which needs to be based off of a average/reasonable customer expectation vs. cost basis analysis report)

3.) Advertising (People need to know about the product and whats going on with it. Don't just assume that people know what it is and where it's at!)

jmvd20

Yep, turning DQ into a sports themed attraction would definitely fail because it would not appeal to a broad range of people. That is why there has never been a TV network solely devoted to sports (let alone a network with 5 different channels), that is why Disney did not build an entire wide world of sports complex at WDW, it is also why Disney did not build an entire hotel dedicated to sports, it is also why sponsors will not pay over 1 million dollars for a 15 second ad during a sports event.

Yes, there is no doubt in my mind that a sports themed attraction is doomed to failure. :rolleyes:

CaliSurfer182

Yep, turning DQ into a sports themed attraction would definitely fail because it would not appeal to a broad range of people. That is why there has never been a TV network solely devoted to sports (let alone a network with 5 different channels), that is why Disney did not build an entire wide world of sports complex at WDW, it is also why Disney did not build an entire hotel dedicated to sports, it is also why sponsors will not pay over 1 million dollars for a 15 second ad during a sports event.

Yes, there is no doubt in my mind that a sports themed attraction is doomed to failure. :rolleyes:

I am not sure if you are responding to my post, but if you are then you misread what I wrote. I never said ESPN wasn't profitable, and I never said it would fail. What I said was that it would not solve the problems at DQ. Also I stated that a product that specialized to a certain demographic like a sports program for sports fans (just an example) won't appeal to the whole consumer base.

jmvd20

I am not sure if you are responding to my post, but if you are then you misread what I wrote. I never said ESPN wasn't profitable, and I never said it would fail. What I said was that it would not solve the problems at DQ. Also I stated that a product that specialized to a certain demographic like a sports program for sports fans (just an example) won't appeal to the whole consumer base.

I wasn't directly responding to any one comment in particular. However I find it amusing that sports can be considered a niche market yet a glorified video arcade has broad appeal across the board. How are sports limited to certain demographics anymore than DQ - last time I knew sports bridged the race, gender, and age gaps. That is most likely why there is a successful sports bar on every other street corner - how many arcades are left today?

I am really not trying to get into the disussion about how to fix/replace DQ - I have never been there and do not have an opinion either way. I also have no idea how to fix DQ being as I didn't know it was broke in the first place. I am just dumbfounded at how many people seem to think a sports themed place doesn't appeal to a wide range of people - yet a video arcade does.

Mansion Butler

this year is the last time you can do it

-upset-

LOVED THAT PLACE

(they're canging it to a 3 level or some level espn zone)

THEY ALREDY HAVE AN ESPN ZONE IN BOARDWALK AREA!!!

No they don't. And even if they did, different locations.

Having been to two different ESPN Zones and the ESPN Club, no, it's not.

Once upon a time, when Todd Wright was on ESPN radio at night, he would flip out on people about this once a week.

I also agree that an ESPN Zone wouldn't be a good idea. I have never been to Disney Quest(I hope to in about 2 weeks) but I promise you I will never set foot in the place if it becomes a sports themed attraction. Yes there are many red blooded american males out there who aren't into sports, and I think turning DQ into an ESPN Zone would limit it's appeal and audience. I think they should leave it the way it is and just keep it updated(it sounds like that is the major problem)and I still think they need to ADD A BOWLING ALLEY!!! But then again I really have no right to comment since I have never been there, I just know I definitely won't go there if it's turned into an
ESPN Zone.

And I would. I'd probably go there regularly, unlike DQ where I never need to go again. See, there are people on both sides of the issue. That said, if DQ closed because it was unpopular - at least financially enough so (remember, this is all hypothetical) - then it WOULD make sense to put in something that has been proven to be popular.

I think I get what you're saying, but in this hypothetical world where DQ closes and an ESPN Zone moves it, the point isn't to fix DQs problems. It's to replace it completely.

bob0012

Personaly, I think they're still spending to much money on upkeep at DQ to close it. I'd love to see somthing done there, I don't care for it since it switched to one price all day admission.

majortom1981

hmm

I Like the Idea of a bowling alley. there is this new bowling alley chain called 300 that just came in by me and my gf.

IT has tv screens and music videos, black lights and everything that plays when you bowl.

I can see that fitting in very nicely at pleasure island / downtown disney.

Philo

On my first visit to the world I was so excited by the idea of DQ. I'm a huge gaming fan, I love video games, table top games, crazy VR games and I thought this would be my own high-tech heaven.

We arived, I loved the lift, I loved what I saw but then I made the mistake of staying for over an hour. It was too hot, loud (and I'm a drummer!) and chaotic. I had to leave before I got a huge headache.

I probably would pop in there again though (equipt with earplugs and tranquilisers) as its all included on the tickets but I doubt I would actually pay extra for it.

Kristi Kay

ive heard this several times before and it would not suprise me....DQ was fun, but I never wanted to go there over and over. I think the space could be put to better use.

Joepic

This is still floating around? I heard this a while ago, in fact, I heard that they were going to add more attractions to it, around $3 million worth...they can't be closing DQ

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom